Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA and team colored turf

CornCobPipes
School: Appalachian State

NCAA and team colored turf

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:26 pm

While watching Boise State Smurf Turf game today...puts me on my soap box.

The NCAA is so concerned about rule changes in respect to safety.... much of which is good but yet they ignore these color theme fields. I guess they don't consider safety in this regard. Also the home teams usually make a point to dress in the ALL COLOR for home games giving the camo effect. This is dangerous for players peripheral vision and readiness for contact not to mention a debatable advantage. Schools like Coastal Carolina, Boise State, Eastern Washington should be mandated to the normal green fields for example. Heck, when you discuss EWU you have to consider the danger to the vision of the fans or even TV viewers.....that inferno red field can cause a retinal tear without sunglasses even watching on TV on a sunny day. In respect to a kelley green team for argument sake......make them wear some white. That's my rant for today!
KICK ASS!!!

MrCraig

Re: NCAA and team colored turf

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:11 pm

I would need to see some data to join you on this soap box. Do visiting teams suffer more injuries on these fields than regular grass/turf fields? Do these teams have a higher win percentage at home that comparable teams with regular fields?

I think colored turf fields are a silly gimmick, but I don’t really care what they choose to do.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:23 pm

I’m fine with it but agree they shouldn’t be allowed to blue out or teal out uniforms.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:50 pm

At minimum the home team should be unable to wear the matching color uniform. Boise state should be required to wear orange, Coastal gold, etc. It is a distinct advantage to camouflage yourself. The game moves fast enough that I could see how in split second situations your brain can’t process the difference between a blue jersey and a blue field.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:34 pm

Next thing you know Kidd Brewer will have a black field.

What would be really cool would be to have a field that changes color according to the temperature. A mood field like the mood ring changes color.

A black field would stay warmer and help melt snow and ice off the field.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:26 pm

I don't mind the Boise's blue turf...I kind of like it as it was original. What I don't like are all the teams now trying to copy this and have their own "unique" turf....I think there's a red field and maybe a gold one....(Cabin did a nice April Fool's a few years ago with App going to Gold turf...LOL). it just comes across as lame when you can't be original and have to manufacturer "traditions"...like all the different turnover things teams did copying Miami's turnover chain. It's just lame. Come up with you own identity, you own culture, your own traditions that happen organically. This is trying to hard to be cool.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:36 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:26 pm
While watching Boise State Smurf Turf game today...puts me on my soap box.

The NCAA is so concerned about rule changes in respect to safety.... much of which is good but yet they ignore these color theme fields. I guess they don't consider safety in this regard. Also the home teams usually make a point to dress in the ALL COLOR for home games giving the camo effect. This is dangerous for players peripheral vision and readiness for contact not to mention a debatable advantage. Schools like Coastal Carolina, Boise State, Eastern Washington should be mandated to the normal green fields for example. Heck, when you discuss EWU you have to consider the danger to the vision of the fans or even TV viewers.....that inferno red field can cause a retinal tear without sunglasses even watching on TV on a sunny day. In respect to a kelley green team for argument sake......make them wear some white. That's my rant for today!
This is a quality rant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”