Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drinkwitz gets raise and 2 year extension

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drinkwitz gets raise and 2 year extension

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:28 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:27 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:18 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:12 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:32 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:01 pm
I disagree with that perspective. Drink gave us a 13-1 season. You just do not trot football players out on the field and roll the ball out and play. He was a great play caller on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sure we beat either UNC or USC in 2019. He may not have done much with relationships and recruiting. He got the most out of the players that were on the roster.
I'm not a Drinkwitz hater. Nor am I a big fan. I think he did a good job for the year he was here, but I wouldn't say he did a great job. Yes, we beat UNC and South Carolina, but we also lost to Georgia Southern. He was a good play caller until he went conservative (way too early in my opinion) and almost lost both of those games against the Carolinas. I honestly don't know why we continue to talk about him. He did some good things and some things he didn't do well. That could be said for just about any coach out there. Congrats to Drink on his raise and extension. Seems he's done a decent job at Missouri.
He’s still talked about because a borderline unbearable fan base 3 years later still finds a way to whine about a 13-1 season with wins over UNC and USC. It’s honestly insane how personal some folks take a coach going from the SBC to the SEC. It was a no brainer and will always be a no brainer.

And to those whining about recruiting, it was never going to be a seamless transition of 3 head coaches in 3 years. If you actually take the time to look at the data, you’ll see that, before the introduction of the portal, and even after, the “first” recruiting class for a newly hired HC is nearly always a disaster, and we had that back to back years.
Nobody is upset het went from SBC to SEC. Hell, I'd wager nobody is upset about his lack of recruiting. People are just pointing out he couldn't recruit and it's showing now.

I'll have to go back and do the research (on a phone and hard to do) when I get back home to my computer, but a quick look at the recruiting classes shows Drink did not do it well and is the reason we are left with limited talent at important positions.
You’re missing the point though. He was barely on campus 12 months, you’re surprised we didn’t have 2 good recruiting classes? Like I said, if you take the time to go look through first year HC classes, you’ll find that most are a disaster. We had that in back to back years. If he “couldn’t recruit”, he wouldn’t have landed Luther Burden. It’s sad to see how petty this fan base is when it feels spurned.
If you don't think Burden was a product of NIL money, you're more confused than you let on...

Guy cannot recruit. He couldn't recruit anywhere he's been. And he failed to recruit here because he knew he would be leaving.

Fun fact -- Clark and Watts had to extend their recruiting footprint because Drink would not do it. He didn't care. Several times he had a scheduled recruiting visit at a school, he just didn't show up. There were 3 instances of home visits that just didn't happen because he didn't go. No warning, nothing. Just a no show.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:38 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:15 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:37 am
The players threw a party in the locker room when he left. That should be enough to show how terrible of a coach he was. Good play caller, bad coach.
Those players largely returned in 2020, blew a conference championship, did the same in 2021, and then a huge letdown in 2022. Wouldn’t be the first time a group of college kids was wrong.
Oh.. my bad. I didn't realize losing over 36% of the starting 22 to graduation and NFL (4 to the NFL) was easy to replace after a coach failed to recruit.

Oh, and all guys lost were all conference performers.
Lol you thought the 2019 recruits were supposed to be plug and play as true freshman? That’s your crutch? Haha ok.

2020 returned the starting QB, top 4 WR, 4 more than capable RBs, an OL featuring Neuzil, Hannon, and Baer. Oh and the 2020 defense was statistically better than 2019. But continue to run with your preferred narrative.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:43 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:38 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:15 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:37 am
The players threw a party in the locker room when he left. That should be enough to show how terrible of a coach he was. Good play caller, bad coach.
Those players largely returned in 2020, blew a conference championship, did the same in 2021, and then a huge letdown in 2022. Wouldn’t be the first time a group of college kids was wrong.
Oh.. my bad. I didn't realize losing over 36% of the starting 22 to graduation and NFL (4 to the NFL) was easy to replace after a coach failed to recruit.

Oh, and all guys lost were all conference performers.
Lol you thought the 2019 recruits were supposed to be plug and play as true freshman? That’s your crutch? Haha ok.

2020 returned the starting QB, top 4 WR, 4 more than capable RBs, an OL featuring Neuzil, Hannon, and Baer. Oh and the 2020 defense was statistically better than 2019. But continue to run with your preferred narrative.
I never said that. You said we returned the same team. We didn't. We lost 2 stud safety's (one to the league), 3 stud LBs (2 to the league), our best o lineman, a stud TE, and our all everything RB to the NFL.

That is not returning the same team. Not even close.

But now that you mention 2020 defense was better that means a few things:

1) previous recruits by the Satt staff (2017 and 2018 recruits) were good enough to plug and play and replace NFL caliber players.
2) Drinks recruits from 2020 were not able to plug and play this year
3) kind of weird how we can lose that much talent but get better with Dale Jones as our new DC, right? It's almost like he had talent then but doesn't now. It's almost like the 2020 class should be the leaders and they aren't.

Also, to be clear, Drinks class was 2020. In 2019 he flipped B Harrington and signed DBG. That's it. Harrington obviously was a good flip but he was only able to do it because Harrington wanted to play LB whereas the P5 schools had him as a safety.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:44 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:28 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:32 am

I'm not a Drinkwitz hater. Nor am I a big fan. I think he did a good job for the year he was here, but I wouldn't say he did a great job. Yes, we beat UNC and South Carolina, but we also lost to Georgia Southern. He was a good play caller until he went conservative (way too early in my opinion) and almost lost both of those games against the Carolinas. I honestly don't know why we continue to talk about him. He did some good things and some things he didn't do well. That could be said for just about any coach out there. Congrats to Drink on his raise and extension. Seems he's done a decent job at Missouri.
He’s still talked about because a borderline unbearable fan base 3 years later still finds a way to whine about a 13-1 season with wins over UNC and USC. It’s honestly insane how personal some folks take a coach going from the SBC to the SEC. It was a no brainer and will always be a no brainer.

And to those whining about recruiting, it was never going to be a seamless transition of 3 head coaches in 3 years. If you actually take the time to look at the data, you’ll see that, before the introduction of the portal, and even after, the “first” recruiting class for a newly hired HC is nearly always a disaster, and we had that back to back years.
Nobody is upset het went from SBC to SEC. Hell, I'd wager nobody is upset about his lack of recruiting. People are just pointing out he couldn't recruit and it's showing now.

I'll have to go back and do the research (on a phone and hard to do) when I get back home to my computer, but a quick look at the recruiting classes shows Drink did not do it well and is the reason we are left with limited talent at important positions.
You’re missing the point though. He was barely on campus 12 months, you’re surprised we didn’t have 2 good recruiting classes? Like I said, if you take the time to go look through first year HC classes, you’ll find that most are a disaster. We had that in back to back years. If he “couldn’t recruit”, he wouldn’t have landed Luther Burden. It’s sad to see how petty this fan base is when it feels spurned.
If you don't think Burden was a product of NIL money, you're more confused than you let on...

Guy cannot recruit. He couldn't recruit anywhere he's been. And he failed to recruit here because he knew he would be leaving.

Fun fact -- Clark and Watts had to extend their recruiting footprint because Drink would not do it. He didn't care. Several times he had a scheduled recruiting visit at a school, he just didn't show up. There were 3 instances of home visits that just didn't happen because he didn't go. No warning, nothing. Just a no show.
Oh I’m sorry, is NIL not a part recruiting? You let your feelings of scorned lover get in the way of facts, but that’s OK. I won’t waste my time listing off the guys he recruited at State and Boise that went to the NFL.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:45 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:44 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

Oh I’m sorry, is NIL not a part recruiting? You let your feelings of scorned lover get in the way of facts, but that’s OK. I won’t waste my time listing off the guys he recruited at State and Boise that went to the NFL.
It wasn't in 2019. NIL will help guys like Drink. Without money, he's not going to win recruiting battles with peers.

No, you're letting your love for a man that has failed at recruiting everywhere he's been get in the way of facts. I've presented facts. You haven't.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:49 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:45 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

It wasn't in 2019. NIL will help guys like Drink. Without money, he's not going to win recruiting battles with peers.

No, you're letting your love for a man that has failed at recruiting everywhere he's been get in the way of facts. I've presented facts. You haven't.
I have no love for a guy I haven’t met. I have eyes and know Drinkwitz did well here. You guys take your app state love so personal you can’t handle he left lil ole app after just a year. You apparently are still up in arms about it enough to constantly post about the guy. You hate to see it.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:51 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:49 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

I have no love for a guy I haven’t met. I have eyes and know Drinkwitz did well here. You guys take your app state love so personal you can’t handle he left lil ole app after just a year. You apparently are still up in arms about it enough to constantly post about the guy. You hate to see it.
So you're defending a guy you've never met? I've met him. He's a grade A ass.

He did well here to the casual fan. Destroyed a lot of the back end that fans don't see. Sorry you can't accept people have more knowledge than you about the situation.

I don't hate the guy left. I don't like how he left things because he knew he was leaving. Two completely different things.

And, I'm simply explaining it to people asking what happened. This past season is in large part because of what Drink did (didn't recruit, spent money he shouldn't have, etc).
tAPPedInSports.net

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:04 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:33 pm
Simple fact is dink did not give us anything. We gave him something. We gave him a resume builder. You also can't say "since dink left" because he had absolutely nothing to do with building that team. He was nothing more than a babysitter or substitute teacher. He was there to do nothing more than to make sure they didn't touch anything hot, or run out in the hallway. I was and always will be miffed by the hire.
I don't get the board's angst for him, most anybody is going to bolt for 5X their current annual pay and the buyout. He isn't responsible for where we are now. The hire was good, but maybe soured because he left. Nobody should blame him for doing the same thing as they would for their own family.
Don’t blame him for cashing in, just want to make sure he doesn’t get too much credit for 12-1 either.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:32 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:04 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:33 pm
Simple fact is dink did not give us anything. We gave him something. We gave him a resume builder. You also can't say "since dink left" because he had absolutely nothing to do with building that team. He was nothing more than a babysitter or substitute teacher. He was there to do nothing more than to make sure they didn't touch anything hot, or run out in the hallway. I was and always will be miffed by the hire.
I don't get the board's angst for him, most anybody is going to bolt for 5X their current annual pay and the buyout. He isn't responsible for where we are now. The hire was good, but maybe soured because he left. Nobody should blame him for doing the same thing as they would for their own family.
Don’t blame him for cashing in, just want to make sure he doesn’t get too much credit for 12-1 either.
That is exactly my point. It is not his fault he left for more money. It was absolutely no secret what his plan was. So be it. It is what it is. My problem is all the praise he is given for what a great head coach he was for " giving" us a 12-1 season. The real fact is that we gave HIM a 12-1 season and the path paved to more money. He is no hero. He is a guy who was a good play caller most of the time. That is all he was. So to be clear my problem is all the unearned praise. Giving him credit for that season is like giving Charlie credit for our National Championships.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:35 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:30 am
App was just flat out better than NC and SC that year.

We beat both teams in the trenches.

Drink almost cost us the SC game with conservative play calling the last 20 minutes.

He did cost us the GS game with “love week”.

He is a great play caller, but let’s not pretend he made that 2019 season.

He did set recruiting back…

I’d say Drink did 2 things wrong. He left too soon and he clearly didn’t understand the GASO rivalry because they were certainly more motivated than were were. Concerning SCAR, we did not loose the game, we won. Recruiting? I’m still confused as to how he’s responsible for any recruiting woes when I don’t think he was here a full calendar year. Perhaps the recruiting class he’s accused of being responsible for is weak, but haven’t we had 4 years to recover? To me, the reason we play the game is to see who wins. In that regard, for me he gets credit for coaching the best team in APP STATE history. No other coach did what he did, before or since.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:39 am

pop5app wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:35 am
Saint3333 wrote:

Drink almost cost us the SC game with conservative play calling the last 20 minutes.

Recruiting? I’m still confused as to how he’s responsible for any recruiting woes when I don’t think he was here a full calendar year. Perhaps the recruiting class he’s accused of being responsible for is weak, but haven’t we had 4 years to recover?
No. We've had two recruiting classes (working on 3rd) since his -- one of which was done in a pandemic where visits weren't allowed. And yes, all schools had to deal with that but relationships are built over a couple seasons and Drink did not build any relationships.

Where the problem lies with his lack of recruiting was shown this year. We develop players. We aren't going to get many true freshmen starting. It typically takes 2-3 years to develop the recruits we get to become full starters. You can do the math.
tAPPedInSports.net

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:47 am

pop5app wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I’d say Drink did 2 things wrong. He left too soon and he clearly didn’t understand the GASO rivalry because they were certainly more motivated than were were. Concerning SCAR, we did not loose the game, we won. Recruiting? I’m still confused as to how he’s responsible for any recruiting woes when I don’t think he was here a full calendar year. Perhaps the recruiting class he’s accused of being responsible for is weak, but haven’t we had 4 years to recover? To me, the reason we play the game is to see who wins. In that regard, for me he gets credit for coaching the best team in APP STATE history. No other coach did what he did, before or since.
Unless I am mistaken and that is sure possible JM took us to 12-1 in 1995 and 14-1 in 2006. Could be wrong.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:08 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:47 am
pop5app wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Unless I am mistaken and that is sure possible JM took us to 12-1 in 1995 and 14-1 in 2006. Could be wrong.
That is why he has a statue and Drinkwitz does not.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:29 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:08 pm
bcoach wrote:
pop5app wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Those were great years and 2007 should have been the best. However , I do think the caliber of competition was stiffer in 2019 than in the FCS years.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:44 pm

pop5app wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:29 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:08 pm
bcoach wrote:
pop5app wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Those were great years and 2007 should have been the best. However , I do think the caliber of competition was stiffer in 2019 than in the FCS years.
Apples and Oranges. In FBS we competed with and against FBS talent. In FCS we competed with and against FCS talent.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:55 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:51 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

He did well here to the casual fan. Destroyed a lot of the back end that fans don't see. Sorry you can't accept people have more knowledge than you about the situation.

I don't hate the guy left. I don't like how he left things because he knew he was leaving. Two completely different things.

And, I'm simply explaining it to people asking what happened. This past season is in large part because of what Drink did (didn't recruit, spent money he shouldn't have, etc).
One class. Well who is resposible for the YEARS since Drink left? For crying out loud, everyone else in our confrence has used the portal for their needs to better themselves overall. We have we not overall. Obviously we have concerns. Have we failed to recruit and develop? Every year the board is giddy over what we have signed, I'm not seeing any huge payoff overall. I'm not defending Drink it isn't on him for 1 year, but as a casual fan asking your inside connection you have... what the heck is happening to stop our sliding? As a casual fan, and I'm not the only one that thinks we finish under .500 in '23, unless we can get about 10 plug and plays.
BLACK SATURDAY

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:11 pm

You can't really say HCSC (Head Coach Shawn Clark) has had 4 full recruiting classes.

1)No one has ever had to recruit and go through a season of COVID pandemic, plus he was a first time Head Coach still going 9-3 all in the same season.
2)No spring/summer practice in 2020 - what that does is hurt the growth of your freshman and sophomore with no off season program.
3) So here comes the transfer portal in 2021 - (App State has major issues that other SBC programs don't - ASU doesn't take C's and progress toward degree for potential transfer is an issue) random fans have no idea of this.
4)And throw in NIL distraction or bidding war over recruits and App State trying to act like big boys when they aren't.
5)And now let's keep all our COVID players with extra years that will make us win big 😒 and good luck trying to hold them accountable when they technically have already graduated and don't have the same edge as before.

How would you handle all this in your line of work. He's one FG from being 7-5 and in another Bowl game.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:17 pm

Point 3, Football pays the bills and lines the pockets in the High Country, I sure hope the power that be will consider changing with the times.

Our peers that whipped up on us this year and last have been through the same stuff.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:01 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:55 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:51 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

One class. Well who is resposible for the YEARS since Drink left? For crying out loud, everyone else in our confrence has used the portal for their needs to better themselves overall. We have we not overall. Obviously we have concerns. Have we failed to recruit and develop? Every year the board is giddy over what we have signed, I'm not seeing any huge payoff overall. I'm not defending Drink it isn't on him for 1 year, but as a casual fan asking your inside connection you have... what the heck is happening to stop our sliding? As a casual fan, and I'm not the only one that thinks we finish under .500 in '23, unless we can get about 10 plug and plays.
To stop the sliding, we're using more JuCos this year. Had we been able to land the 2-3 transfer portal guys that committed to us and flipped and started at P5s because of credits and NIL, we aren't having this discussion.

Also, there is currently a temporary fix in place to allow more credits to come through from the transfer portal.. and more NIL money coming through.

We have not failed to develop and recruit. Clark is currently working on only his third class. It typically takes 2-3 years for HS players to develop. Last year, we started two true freshmen at times in the secondary. Had Drink's recruiting class (2021) been any more than it was, that doesn't happen. Good news is that playing time for the true freshmen will help develop them faster. Bad news is they made freshmen mistakes.

All but one of our losses was by 1 possession or less. That's what happens when you have players not ready to play because you're having to play players that have not been fully developed and ready yet. But again, the good news is that will speed up the development.

Take 2017 when we lost to UMASS and ULM after Stringer got hurt. A large reason for that was because ADG was not fully ready for play time yet. We saw what happened to his development after being forced to take those snaps. I think it turned out ok...

And again, this is only the 3rd class for Clark and it's not completely done.
tAPPedInSports.net

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:13 pm

Didn't Satt leave around mid December after that early signing period? How many guys were signed before he left? I will never forget that Mountaineer Talk when Adam asked Drink his favorite local restaurant. He really had no legit answer. That alone told me he had no desire to stay. I don't blame him one bit for bolting but had he taken over a crap program and gone 6-6 he doesn't end up at Missouri. He had to know that a 9-3 season would springboard him. Again, can't blame him. The hire is on our AD but who could he have hired besides a SC who would still be here?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”