Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drinkwitz gets raise and 2 year extension

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drinkwitz gets raise and 2 year extension

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:01 pm

I disagree with that perspective. Drink gave us a 13-1 season. You just do not trot football players out on the field and roll the ball out and play. He was a great play caller on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sure we beat either UNC or USC in 2019. He may not have done much with relationships and recruiting. He got the most out of the players that were on the roster.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:55 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:01 pm
I disagree with that perspective. Drink have us a 13-1 season. You just do not trot football players out on the field and roll the ball out and play. He was a great play caller on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sure we beat either UNC or USC in 2019. He may not have done much with relationships and recruiting. He got the most out of the players that were on the roster.
He may have just used Appalachian up and that is the reason we have not been what we might have been had we not been used up.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:01 am

I don’t get all the Drink bashing. When we hired him we knew he would be short term guy. Everybody thought 2-3 yrs but his chance came sooner due to success and he took it. He was a very good play caller and as was said you don’t just stumble on 13-1 regardless. Some of you want to blame all our current issues on him. I agree some may be related but far from all are his fault.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:42 am

I’d say 13-1 was a pretty good gift and he was head coach for what was arguably the best APP STATE team ever.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:30 am

App was just flat out better than NC and SC that year.

We beat both teams in the trenches.

Drink almost cost us the SC game with conservative play calling the last 20 minutes.

He did cost us the GS game with “love week”.

He is a great play caller, but let’s not pretend he made that 2019 season.

He did set recruiting back…

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:32 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
I disagree with that perspective. Drink gave us a 13-1 season. You just do not trot football players out on the field and roll the ball out and play. He was a great play caller on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sure we beat either UNC or USC in 2019. He may not have done much with relationships and recruiting. He got the most out of the players that were on the roster.
I'm not a Drinkwitz hater. Nor am I a big fan. I think he did a good job for the year he was here, but I wouldn't say he did a great job. Yes, we beat UNC and South Carolina, but we also lost to Georgia Southern. He was a good play caller until he went conservative (way too early in my opinion) and almost lost both of those games against the Carolinas. I honestly don't know why we continue to talk about him. He did some good things and some things he didn't do well. That could be said for just about any coach out there. Congrats to Drink on his raise and extension. Seems he's done a decent job at Missouri.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:49 am

There were many references to our roster for that year as a "Lamborghini " so to speak. We were good and solid but that was an exaggeration. That being said a whole lot of decent coaches could have matched or exceeded what we did that year. The USC game got way too close and they had a shot to win it. UNC had a FG chance to beat us and if I remember correctly we had lots of guys going down with injuries late in the game.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:11 am

He's been gone since December 9, 2019. Why are y'all so obsessed over this guy? It's been over 3 years now. Stop trying to blame everything on him. Stop making excuses based on him. Stop obsessing over him. He kept our steaks alive. SC has had 3 full recruiting periods. We are now in his 4th full recruiting period. Our problems are his. Stop trying anything under the sun to deflect from this including bringing up Drink every other month to cry about it.

I'm sure more excuses will come after this post as some of y'all just can't let it go. But, but, but,.... I have insider I do that drink ruined the program!!!!! Please.....

Side note. He was 12-1 here. He didn't coach the bowl game.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:33 am

The only one obsessing seems to be you. You have 5 or 6 responses on this thread alpne. Come out of the closet. You have "man-love" for Drink.
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:37 am

The players threw a party in the locker room when he left. That should be enough to show how terrible of a coach he was. Good play caller, bad coach.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:38 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:33 am
The only one obsessing seems to be you. You have 5 or 6 responses on this thread alpne. Come out of the closet. You have "man-love" for Drink.
This thread is months old champ. But go ahead keep it coming. Anything you can think of to deflect and ignore the obsession some of you have with excuse making. Go ahead champ. If that's what makes you feel better at night then go ahead.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:46 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:11 am
He's been gone since December 9, 2019. Why are y'all so obsessed over this guy? It's been over 3 years now. Stop trying to blame everything on him. Stop making excuses based on him. Stop obsessing over him. He kept our steaks alive. SC has had 3 full recruiting periods. We are now in his 4th full recruiting period. Our problems are his. Stop trying anything under the sun to deflect from this including bringing up Drink every other month to cry about it.

I'm sure more excuses will come after this post as some of y'all just can't let it go. But, but, but,.... I have insider I do that drink ruined the program!!!!! Please.....

Side note. He was 12-1 here. He didn't coach the bowl game.
He's actually had two, working on three. The 2020 class was drinks. 2021 and 2022 are Clark's. He's working on 2023.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:58 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:38 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:33 am
This thread is months old champ. But go ahead keep it coming. Anything you can think of to deflect and ignore the obsession some of you have with excuse making. Go ahead champ. If that's what makes you feel better at night then go ahead.
Thanks for clarifying that your "man-love" for drink is many months old. Some would call that a relationship. You do You....
#99ForPresident!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:04 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:33 pm
Simple fact is dink did not give us anything. We gave him something. We gave him a resume builder. You also can't say "since dink left" because he had absolutely nothing to do with building that team. He was nothing more than a babysitter or substitute teacher. He was there to do nothing more than to make sure they didn't touch anything hot, or run out in the hallway. I was and always will be miffed by the hire.
I don't get the board's angst for him, most anybody is going to bolt for 5X their current annual pay and the buyout. He isn't responsible for where we are now. The hire was good, but maybe soured because he left. Nobody should blame him for doing the same thing as they would for their own family.
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:12 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:32 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
I'm not a Drinkwitz hater. Nor am I a big fan. I think he did a good job for the year he was here, but I wouldn't say he did a great job. Yes, we beat UNC and South Carolina, but we also lost to Georgia Southern. He was a good play caller until he went conservative (way too early in my opinion) and almost lost both of those games against the Carolinas. I honestly don't know why we continue to talk about him. He did some good things and some things he didn't do well. That could be said for just about any coach out there. Congrats to Drink on his raise and extension. Seems he's done a decent job at Missouri.
He’s still talked about because a borderline unbearable fan base 3 years later still finds a way to whine about a 13-1 season with wins over UNC and USC. It’s honestly insane how personal some folks take a coach going from the SBC to the SEC. It was a no brainer and will always be a no brainer.

And to those whining about recruiting, it was never going to be a seamless transition of 3 head coaches in 3 years. If you actually take the time to look at the data, you’ll see that, before the introduction of the portal, and even after, the “first” recruiting class for a newly hired HC is nearly always a disaster, and we had that back to back years.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:15 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:37 am
The players threw a party in the locker room when he left. That should be enough to show how terrible of a coach he was. Good play caller, bad coach.
Those players largely returned in 2020, blew a conference championship, did the same in 2021, and then a huge letdown in 2022. Wouldn’t be the first time a group of college kids was wrong.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:18 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:12 am
Yosef84 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
He’s still talked about because a borderline unbearable fan base 3 years later still finds a way to whine about a 13-1 season with wins over UNC and USC. It’s honestly insane how personal some folks take a coach going from the SBC to the SEC. It was a no brainer and will always be a no brainer.

And to those whining about recruiting, it was never going to be a seamless transition of 3 head coaches in 3 years. If you actually take the time to look at the data, you’ll see that, before the introduction of the portal, and even after, the “first” recruiting class for a newly hired HC is nearly always a disaster, and we had that back to back years.
Nobody is upset het went from SBC to SEC. Hell, I'd wager nobody is upset about his lack of recruiting. People are just pointing out he couldn't recruit and it's showing now.

I'll have to go back and do the research (on a phone and hard to do) when I get back home to my computer, but a quick look at the recruiting classes shows Drink did not do it well and is the reason we are left with limited talent at important positions.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:23 am

Technically, Drinkwitz went 12 and 1, he did not coach the bowl game.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:15 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:37 am
Those players largely returned in 2020, blew a conference championship, did the same in 2021, and then a huge letdown in 2022. Wouldn’t be the first time a group of college kids was wrong.
Oh.. my bad. I didn't realize losing over 36% of the starting 22 to graduation and NFL (4 to the NFL) was easy to replace after a coach failed to recruit.

Oh, and all guys lost were all conference performers.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:27 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:18 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:12 am
Yosef84 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Nobody is upset het went from SBC to SEC. Hell, I'd wager nobody is upset about his lack of recruiting. People are just pointing out he couldn't recruit and it's showing now.

I'll have to go back and do the research (on a phone and hard to do) when I get back home to my computer, but a quick look at the recruiting classes shows Drink did not do it well and is the reason we are left with limited talent at important positions.
You’re missing the point though. He was barely on campus 12 months, you’re surprised we didn’t have 2 good recruiting classes? Like I said, if you take the time to go look through first year HC classes, you’ll find that most are a disaster. We had that in back to back years. If he “couldn’t recruit”, he wouldn’t have landed Luther Burden. It’s sad to see how petty this fan base is when it feels spurned.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”