Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Healy Fired

Black Saturday
School: Appalachian State

Re: Healy Fired

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:35 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:03 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:03 am
Let's just walk through this markets theory and see how this works.

When you speak of "markets", i.e. Charlotte metro, if a school is located in that market what is the rationale that people that just happen to be located in that market are interested in that school?

Here is how I decide what to watch on any given day. I would assume most viewers are similar.

1. Is this game with a team I directly follow, i.e. my school
2. Is this of national interest, i.e. top 25 implications, playoff implications, CFP championship
3. Does this game have implications for my team, i.e. conference SBC, ACC
4. Does this game have schools I loosely follow, again SBC, ACC, SEC, etc
5. Is this a game I am just curious about, old SoCon, etc.

The above is mostly in priority for me but you get the point. At the top, I will watch most/all of game but as I move towards bottom of list I am basically channel surfing and will not watch much of those games.

NOTICE: I did not list markets anywhere in my list. The world we live in now is more about what is relevant in the overall not locally. One example is GaTech is in my market but I don't care about watching them, nor does a vast majority of the ATL population and they have been here for a hundred years. If you don't have some affiliation to the school or it is of relevance to your interest then you aren't going to watch them.
I'm sure you know who the vast majority of people in the Atlanta Metro area root for, and it ain't Georgia Tech.
And by viewing a Georgia State game on TV which has 40,000 or so students, and it ain't them either in Hotlanta
BLACK SATURDAY

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:47 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:17 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Satt should be fine as long as he doesn't lose to JMU and is competitive in the remaining games (all of which they'll be the underdog).
My feeling is Satt is going to survive until his contract ends but is OUT as soon as he can. I think he and his family hate it there. I still think he could end up at UNC or Duke. I wish he would land with a team I could stomach pulling for. NC State should beg him to come there.
IF UL is patient with Satt for another year, I think they turn it around quite a bit. He has had 2 really big recruiting classes that I think start to improve the oveall makeup of the team in the near future. His loyalty to Brown may be his downfall, as the defense has been the weak spot there for his tenure.
Duke seems to have hired a great coach in Elko, and with their resources, I don't see him leaving anytime soon. As was stated earlier, the delusional Tarholes won't be content until they are in the playoff and if Mack Brown can't get them there, they won't trust the man who couldn't get UL competitive in the ACC.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:13 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:29 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:05 am
Satt was frustrated with the lack of resources at App, I can’t imagine the Concord situation is any more appealing to him.
Well it wasnt like he didnt understand what our money challenges were and are......
Understanding it and working with it are different things. He would want his staff paid at the top end of the AAC and I’m not sure UNCC can afford that.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:33 pm

Personally, I agree that it would be great if Louisville gave Coach Satterfield at least another year or two - they have really some gut-wrenching losses over the last couple of years ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:53 pm

UNCC is a total rebuild at a no-name G5 program that just happens to be in the AAC.
I just can't see Satt taking that job.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:39 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:53 pm
UNCC is a total rebuild at a no-name G5 program that just happens to be in the AAC.
I just can't see Satt taking that job.
Rebuild would imply that they had something built to begin with. If Satt went anywhere, most likely it would be into an OC position for a year or two,

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:31 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:14 pm
LoyaltoAPP wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:19 pm
Tough to fundraise for an expanded football facility with the FB program in shambles.

https://charlotte.axios.com/298385/char ... lion-plan/
Imagine 28000 App fans in that stadium 😂
LOL...yeah it's great of them to make more room for us!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:13 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:31 am
BeauFoster wrote:
LoyaltoAPP wrote:
Tough to fundraise for an expanded football facility with the FB program in shambles.

Son and I went to that last game at UNCC. It was absolutely an App home game. We by far outnumbered their fan base.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:26 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:13 am
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:31 am
BeauFoster wrote:
LoyaltoAPP wrote:

Son and I went to that last game at UNCC. It was absolutely an App home game. We by far outnumbered their fan base.
Yeah, we were there too baking in the sun, but the crowd was a great thing.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:28 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:35 pm
MrCraig wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

When you speak of "markets", i.e. Charlotte metro, if a school is located in that market what is the rationale that people that just happen to be located in that market are interested in that school?

Here is how I decide what to watch on any given day. I would assume most viewers are similar.

2. Is this of national interest, i.e. top 25 implications, playoff implications, CFP championship

The above is mostly in priority for me but you get the point. At the top, I will watch most/all of game but as I move towards bottom of list I am basically channel surfing and will not watch much of those games.

NOTICE: I did not list markets anywhere in my list. The world we live in now is more about what is relevant in the overall not locally. One example is GaTech is in my market but I don't care about watching them, nor does a vast majority of the ATL population and they have been here for a hundred years. If you don't have some affiliation to the school or it is of relevance to your interest then you aren't going to watch them.
I'm sure you know who the vast majority of people in the Atlanta Metro area root for, and it ain't Georgia Tech.
And by viewing a Georgia State game on TV which has 40,000 or so students, and it ain't them either in Hotlanta
I know this thread is about Healy and Charlotte head coach but I think this topic of market viewership and fan support is absolutely related to their future prospects. On the topic of Georgia State having 50k+ students, that is correct but it was the byproduct of the Georgia University system merging Ga St with Georgia Perimeter College, which was basically a 2 yr tech college started in Dekalb County and the "campus" is spread all around the city and not centrally located anywhere. The University of Georgia System was consolidating many smaller colleges to reduce overall costs as NC did. The result is a large metro university with MOST students not involved in a true on-campus environment. As a result, most students would more associate their sports interests with UGA or GT (because growing up that is who they followed) or just don't care.

My point is, Charlotte is not as extreme as GaSt but has similarities. It didn't inherit the tech college folks, but does have less on-campus atmosphere and the students just don't have the bond to the school that a traditional student would have like at App. When you "go off" to college and live and breath the culture, you become part of the university and part of the family for life. Charlotte will never have this for a large percentage of their alumni.

That is just my opinion but seems logical from my perspective. Not saying they can't have a good football team but they will never have the dedicated fan base due to the above.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:41 am

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:47 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:17 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Satt should be fine as long as he doesn't lose to JMU and is competitive in the remaining games (all of which they'll be the underdog).
My feeling is Satt is going to survive until his contract ends but is OUT as soon as he can. I think he and his family hate it there. I still think he could end up at UNC or Duke. I wish he would land with a team I could stomach pulling for. NC State should beg him to come there.
IF UL is patient with Satt for another year, I think they turn it around quite a bit. He has had 2 really big recruiting classes that I think start to improve the oveall makeup of the team in the near future. His loyalty to Brown may be his downfall, as the defense has been the weak spot there for his tenure.
Duke seems to have hired a great coach in Elko, and with their resources, I don't see him leaving anytime soon. As was stated earlier, the delusional Tarholes won't be content until they are in the playoff and if Mack Brown can't get them there, they won't trust the man who couldn't get UL competitive in the ACC.
IF Louisville lets him go and IF Shane Beamer at South Carolina can adopt the mindset of “winning is more important than protecting the employment of my friends (his OC Marcus Satterfield [no relation] is a long time friend)” then OC at South Carolina wouldn’t be a bad landing spot for Scott. SC is a program on the rise, he flirted with the job before, he’ll need a place to do a bit of career rehab, and from asking a few Gamecock fans on our show they’d actually be quite open to hiring Scott.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:46 am

I doubt Scott Satterfield will settle, or even have to, for an OC job. IF he is fired from Louisville he will be a HC somewhere MUCH better than Charlotte. Other fine football schools are well aware of what shape Louisville was, and is, in that is no fault of Scott’s, despite his untimely interest in the USC job.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:28 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:35 pm
MrCraig wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

I know this thread is about Healy and Charlotte head coach but I think this topic of market viewership and fan support is absolutely related to their future prospects. On the topic of Georgia State having 50k+ students, that is correct but it was the byproduct of the Georgia University system merging Ga St with Georgia Perimeter College, which was basically a 2 yr tech college started in Dekalb County and the "campus" is spread all around the city and not centrally located anywhere. The University of Georgia System was consolidating many smaller colleges to reduce overall costs as NC did. The result is a large metro university with MOST students not involved in a true on-campus environment. As a result, most students would more associate their sports interests with UGA or GT (because growing up that is who they followed) or just don't care.

My point is, Charlotte is not as extreme as GaSt but has similarities. It didn't inherit the tech college folks, but does have less on-campus atmosphere and the students just don't have the bond to the school that a traditional student would have like at App. When you "go off" to college and live and breath the culture, you become part of the university and part of the family for life. Charlotte will never have this for a large percentage of their alumni.

That is just my opinion but seems logical from my perspective. Not saying they can't have a good football team but they will never have the dedicated fan base due to the above.
Agree with this; i think a good number of thier undergraduates are either transfers, those taking classes while actually attending other universities or reall just dont care about football. In addition, the Charlotte metro has so many other loyalities..colleges like ACC brethren, APP, even ECU, and then the pro sports pull fans away too. UNCC really should have spent some time, like a decade or so in FCS to build a fan base...

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 am

LoyaltoAPP wrote:

That looks like a nice place to hold a bowl game...

If Annapolis, Birmingham, Nashville and Myrtle Beach can have outdoor bowl games then why can't Charlotte?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:07 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 am
LoyaltoAPP wrote:

If Annapolis, Birmingham, Nashville and Myrtle Beach can have outdoor bowl games then why can't Charlotte?
Charlotte already has 1 bowl game, I’d be surprised if it got a second.
Give 'em hell!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:12 am

West Virginia has landed a quarterback in the 2023 recruiting class with a commitment from Charlotte (N.C.) Charlotte Catholic 2023 signal caller Sean Boyle.

Boyle, 6-foot-2, 179-pounds, had been previously committed to Charlotte but received a scholarship offer from the Mountaineers Oct. 19 and immediately things intensified
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:51 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:07 am
kornegaylw wrote:
LoyaltoAPP wrote:

Yeah I think you're wrong...Charlotte has the infrastructure and appeal that places like Montgomery, Mobile, Myrtle Beach and Montgomery don't and Charlotte is easier to get to for 6 of the 7 Sun Belt East schools and all the fans that travel from further away.

Now if David Tepper puts a roof on BoA Stadium that will take the bowl game...but still Charlotte is the better option all the way around.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:16 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:51 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:07 am
kornegaylw wrote:
LoyaltoAPP wrote:

Yeah I think you're wrong...Charlotte has the infrastructure and appeal that places like Montgomery, Mobile, Myrtle Beach and Montgomery don't and Charlotte is easier to get to for 6 of the 7 Sun Belt East schools and all the fans that travel from further away.

Now if David Tepper puts a roof on BoA Stadium that will take the bowl game...but still Charlotte is the better option all the way around.
Agree to disagree. I don’t see it happening but maybe it will. I think this stadium expansion is a long way off, either way.
Give 'em hell!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:29 pm

Boone should be a bowl game. If I didn't visit all the time and my team was placed in a bowl game in Boone...I would be pumped. Oh Wait...it is cold in Boone during bowl season. Maybe a big Basketball tournament would be better.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:30 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:29 pm
Boone should be a bowl game. If I didn't visit all the time and my team was placed in a bowl game in Boone...I would be pumped. Oh Wait...it is cold in Boone during bowl season. Maybe a big Basketball tournament would be better.
Boise has a bowl. Cold there during bowl season.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”