Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pour One Out for Coach Elliot

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool
School: Appalachian State

Pour One Out for Coach Elliot

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:57 am

Georgia State…woof.

What he’s done there despite the record has been impressive. That place has no culture or tradition, and has a crowd size of the low hundreds. It looks like they have a miserable season underway. If we lose Barbay due to our annual OC turnover, and Elliot is out of a job, Coach should see if he wants back up on the Mountain. Hate to see an Appalachian man deal with that.

AppStFan1

Re: Pour One Out for Coach Elliot

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:29 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:57 am
Georgia State…woof.

What he’s done there despite the record has been impressive. That place has no culture or tradition, and has a crowd size of the low hundreds. It looks like they have a miserable season underway. If we lose Barbay due to our annual OC turnover, and Elliot is out of a job, Coach should see if he wants back up on the Mountain. Hate to see an Appalachian man deal with that.
The 247 writer for GSU says Elliott is not going anywhere this year unless the chancellor fires Cobb or makes him. I think he is right because of the relationship there.

I think Shawn has gone pretty good overall as well when you consider their situation. The things you mentioned have to be reasons why they know they can't hold Shawn to a super high standard. How can you expect to win recruiting battles with App State or Marshall when you have a game day experience like they have? There is almost zero support for GSU football in Atlanta despite great facilities and being in a good recruiting footprint. That horn is aggravating and enough for me to not attend if I was a recruit.

I remember some of us on here saying we did not understand the expectation that GSU would be a true player for the SBC title and what we saw last night backs that up.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:20 am

inner city problem
BLACK SATURDAY

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:43 pm

In his 6 years at Ga State, Elliott is now 30-34..but 3-1 in Bowl games. Unless they go winless, he's their man AND NO to the suggestion that he becomes our OC.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:00 pm

Dealing with an NFL and a Prig5 is the same city can't be easy. And a newer program with no history that goes back decades such as GT does not help. That can't help recruiting and without recruiting it is hard to compete. Though I would rather they win than Charlotte as far as getting in the way of App recruiting.

If they fire Elliot they will find a replacement, but will they be in a better position and do better on the field, doubtful.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:03 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:43 pm
In his 6 years at Ga State, Elliott is now 30-34..but 3-1 in Bowl games. Unless they go winless, he's their man AND NO to the suggestion that he becomes our OC.
I'm with you. They have a few fans on 247 who are passionate and want him out because they think he can't take them to next level but 10 vocal fans won't force change. Most there don't care about the program or don't care if they are a losing team enough to raise a huge stink. I never thought Shawn would put them in the driver's seat of the East but thought he could be a 5-8 win type team who goes to low level bowl games and he does that. I would only expect them to make a change if he wins 4 or less games back to back years or misses a bowl game for 3 straight. Cobb and Shawn are super close and I don't see going 6-6 or 5-7 in back to back years as enough that Cobb would get rid of him.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:05 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:00 pm
Dealing with an NFL and a Prig5 is the same city can't be easy. And a newer program with no history that goes back decades such as GT does not help. That can't help recruiting and without recruiting it is hard to compete. Though I would rather they win than Charlotte as far as getting in the way of App recruiting.

If they fire Elliot they will find a replacement, but will they be in a better position and do better on the field, doubtful.
That is a big question. Could they do better? I don't think so either. They have facilities but their bad fan support and awful game day experience make it hard to have the atmosphere to expect them to beat out App State, Marshall, Coastal Carolina, etc in recruiting.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:03 pm
JMappfan5 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:43 pm
I'm with you. They have a few fans on 247 who are passionate and want him out because they think he can't take them to next level but 10 vocal fans won't force change. Most there don't care about the program or don't care if they are a losing team enough to raise a huge stink. I never thought Shawn would put them in the driver's seat of the East but thought he could be a 5-8 win type team who goes to low level bowl games and he does that. I would only expect them to make a change if he wins 4 or less games back to back years or misses a bowl game for 3 straight. Cobb and Shawn are super close and I don't see going 6-6 or 5-7 in back to back years as enough that Cobb would get rid of him.
10 vocal fans is a big part of the problem. They would be better served spending their energy turning that 10 into 100 and then 1000 and then 10000.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:05 pm

That is a big question. Could they do better? I don't think so either. They have facilities but their bad fan support and awful game day experience make it hard to have the atmosphere to expect them to beat out App State, Marshall, Coastal Carolina, etc in recruiting.
I think the question is becoming, Can he do better? At what point does he move on to a program that offers a true football fanbase?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:

I think the question is becoming, Can he do better? At what point does he move on to a program that offers a true football fanbase?
GSU may not be able to do better but with that record can he do better now? Someone might come calling but I doubt many schools pick up the phone if he calls them. If Saban calls I assume EVERY school takes the call.

It would be nice to see him at a school where he can flourish. I certainly don't wish ill of him.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:15 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

If Shawn could somehow put up back to back seasons with 7-8 wins then if I were him I would absolutely look to do better. As others have said though at this point with a 30-34 record can he do better? Teams who are awful want someone who is better than below .500 as their next HC.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:15 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

If Shawn could somehow put up back to back seasons with 7-8 wins then if I were him I would absolutely look to do better. As others have said though at this point with a 30-34 record can he do better? Teams who are awful want someone who is better than below .500 as their next HC.
Perhaps, but maybe that move is to a coordinator role or stepping into an FCS program that is ready to make the transition. It's gotta kill your recruiting to play in a stadium (and it's the same for Georgia Tech, Charlotte, etc) where the players are playing in a stadium where it looks like COVID protocols are still in full effect.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:53 am

He was , at one time , our first option.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 am

Hasn't he taken them to 3 bowls games over the last few years?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:07 am

Elliot burned bridges with the previous staff. Don't think he would be allowed back on the mountain. I may be wrong, but he's done some sketchy stuff to with recruiting battles...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:03 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:07 am
Elliot burned bridges with the previous staff. Don't think he would be allowed back on the mountain. I may be wrong, but he's done some sketchy stuff to with recruiting battles...
I heard the same thing. I don't see Shawn coming back with Clark's staff, which is bad since he played with Clark and should be friends.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:15 pm

For example?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:40 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:15 pm
For example?
I’ve HEARD that he has bad-mouthed the previous staffs and basically told recruits that staff members were leaving or lied to them about knowing things he didn’t actually know. Those rumors came second hand from recruits who said that’s what they were told.
Give 'em hell!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:40 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:15 pm
For example?
I’ve HEARD that he has bad-mouthed the previous staffs and basically told recruits that staff members were leaving or lied to them about knowing things he didn’t actually know. Those rumors came second hand from recruits who said that’s what they were told.
Exactly this.

Also, GMC has a policy that once a recruit has verbally committed, their recruitment is shut down. Elliot went borderline illegal (definitely unethical) routes to flip a highly touted safety from there. GMC didn't even allow him on campus for a few years.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:12 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 am
Hasn't he taken them to 3 bowls games over the last few years?
Jmapp says 4

JMappfan5 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”