Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC- CH - C

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

UNC- CH - C

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:04 pm

Saint3333

Re: UNC- CH - C

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:50 pm

Disagree. I dislike those UNCC pricks that were born on second and can’t hit a single like everyone else, but UNCCH pulling this is a slap in the face of others in the system that can serve this need in the area.

This is worse than blocking a school from adding a program, this is an anti-competitive move with a “sister” program. But par for the course…

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:13 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:50 pm
Disagree. I dislike those UNCC pricks that were born on second and can’t hit a single like everyone else, but UNCCH pulling this is a slap in the face of others in the system that can serve this need in the area.

This is worse than blocking a school from adding a program, this is an anti-competitive move with a “sister” program. But par for the course…
A bit of me snickers at UNCC over this but it really is not a good look from UNC-CH, though not surprising. I have not heard anything that suggests UNCC can't get the job done. I wonder if some of the banks are behind this.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:28 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:13 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

A bit of me snickers at UNCC over this but it really is not a good look from UNC-CH, though not surprising. I have not heard anything that suggests UNCC can't get the job done. I wonder if some of the banks are behind this.
I’ve heard Hugh McColl Jr. is just one of the UNC alums pushing for it.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:36 am

Another cheat power play. I’ll bet they already have their eyes set on space in Boone Mall!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:34 am

pop5app wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:36 am
Another cheat power play. I’ll bet they already have their eyes set on space in Boone Mall!
Yes, but do they know about the flooding?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:27 am

Saint3333 wrote:

I get this sentiment, i really do. But this is a little different than playing in UNCCs sandbox. This is a very small program targeting very specific people. These people were not the ones enrolling in UNCC mba program. They were enrolling in Dukes, WF, UNC, or another very good/elite MBA online program. UNC is just making it easier for them to not have to drive to Chapel Hill (i assume they actually have to attend class, unlike regular unc students/athletes).

It sucks, but they are going after people who would never do grad school at UNCC anyway.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:05 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:27 am
Saint3333 wrote:

I get this sentiment, i really do. But this is a little different than playing in UNCCs sandbox. This is a very small program targeting very specific people. These people were not the ones enrolling in UNCC mba program. They were enrolling in Dukes, WF, UNC, or another very good/elite MBA online program. UNC is just making it easier for them to not have to drive to Chapel Hill (i assume they actually have to attend class, unlike regular unc students/athletes).

It sucks, but they are going after people who would never do grad school at UNCC anyway.
I am sure you are correct, which is sort of what I was thinking when I mentioned the banks. Still this should be a dual degree program where the students can get some paperwork from UNC-CH if that is there desire but have UNCC's name attached in some fashion. It just is not a good look.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:05 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:27 am
Saint3333 wrote:

I am sure you are correct, which is sort of what I was thinking when I mentioned the banks. Still this should be a dual degree program where the students can get some paperwork from UNC-CH if that is there desire but have UNCC's name attached in some fashion. It just is not a good look.
Well, thats what the executive MBA program is trying to avoid. These people are there for the piece of paper 1st and foremost, the education is secondary. My boss has a Big 10 MBA. He laughs at it most of the time, he was a VP for 3 years before getting it and knew most of what he needed to know going in. Sure, theres still benefits to the education part but the piece of paper is what is going to open doors for him, he'll just apply what he learned actually working instead of what was in the classroom.

Same scenario here, a piece of paper with UNCC on it isn't going to open the doors like UNC. No reason to confuse their current bosses, who likely have Ivy league/Big 10 educations by having two institutions name on them. UNC is the only public brand in the state that has the cache to go against Duke and WF for these students.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 am

"Tuition has yet to be determined but probably will range between $90,000 and $125,000 for the two-year program."

Isn't that kind of steep?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:46 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 am
"Tuition has yet to be determined but probably will range between $90,000 and $125,000 for the two-year program."

Insanely, but I'm imagining the people who are accepted into this program are likely to be ones where the companies they work for will foot the bill.

LoyaltoAPP

Unread post by LoyaltoAPP » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:49 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 am

This is the going rate for top flight Exec MBA programs. Much like the program already offered in Chapel Hill - it is likely delivered by a company called 2U.

https://2u.com/partners/
Loyal to APP 8-)

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:41 am

A bit of recent news about 2U.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/that-fancy ... os1&page=1

2U Inc. isn’t a university, but it sometimes looks like one.

The online education company uses the “.edu” email addresses of partner universities to recruit students for them. It funds scholarships. The company also uses equipment that makes it look as if its recruiters are calling from universities’ area codes.

American universities are searching for ways to generate more revenue. As a result, hundreds of schools—including Vanderbilt University, the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill—are teaming up with for-profit companies such as 2U to provide online programs.

As part of the arrangement, one that is reshaping higher education, universities sometimes hand over to companies a great deal of control of student recruitment and instructional design, especially for nondegree programs. For their work, the companies receive hefty shares of tuition dollars.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”