Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Clemson media outing

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Clemson media outing

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:48 pm

I had one heck of an experience today. I attended Clemson's media outing and I think this event could and should be replicated by App State.

All of this occurred in Clemson's football complex. It's where the athletes come to get their meals, physical treatment, hair cuts, work outs, lounge areas, game rooms, etc. It's where the program houses its national championship trophies, bowl game trophies, examples of their ACC championship rings. They have a Nike jersey room where they have mannequins dressed in their uniform combos. They had a game-day locker filled with all the things the university stocks in the players' lockers. It was truly special. All of these are things App State has that fans and media don't ever get to see.

An itinerary of what happened:
7:30am breakfast
8am-10am offensive and defensive coach availability
10am-11:30m Media olympics*
11:30am catered lunch
Noon - Dabo Swinney availability

*For the media olympics attending media were split into groups, paired with program staff, and two or three "pros" (former players). We then engaged in 4 stations: measuring vertical leap, tailgate games, kicking PATs, and throwing corner fades into the end zone, all inside Clemson's actual workout space and indoor practice facility. They kept score for all these events and at the end, the winning team got little medals.

Talk about ingratiating yourself to the local media. All of this was Dabo's idea AND with the exception of the catered breakfast and lunch, which they didn't have to do, it was entirely free for Clemson to put on.

A lot of people complain that Charlotte, Winston, Greensboro, and Raleigh media ignore largely ignore App State....THIS is how you get media to show up. Invite them up for a good time, show off how special what App State has is, and get them talking about you.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ASU85Grad

Re: Clemson media outing

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm

I agree. Low cost and lots of exposure. We need more exposure.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:02 pm

ASU85Grad wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm
I agree. Low cost and lots of exposure. We need more exposure.
Get them to Boone, show them a good time, watch the coverage increase. Do things the other football programs in the state aren't doing.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 pm

Does Clemson pay for all of this or how is the funding done? I realize sports page reporting might be a bit different than the White House Press coverage but what about the journalistic ethics on all of this.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:24 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 pm
Does Clemson pay for all of this or how is the funding done? I realize sports page reporting might be a bit different than the White House Press coverage but what about the journalistic ethics on all of this.
I'd have to assume, yes Clemson pays for the food. Outside of that everything was free for Clemson to provide/perform. The building, the staff, etc are all costs Clemson would have to pay whether this event happened or not. The food wasn't anything fancy but it was a very nice gesture from them. Though, again, it wasn't necessary. It was all prepared by the same staff who prepare meals for the athletes.

Also what do you mean journalistic ethics? Press boxes supply food and beverage to working media at every game I've ever worked. Some programs do more than others but in 15 years of doing this I've never been asked or compelled to give positive press in exchange for a hot dog at half time.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:50 pm

We have the facility , why not?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Journalistic Ethics is an oxymoron.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:53 pm

mike87 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:35 pm
Good thing I've never considered myself a journalist. I am a commentator. On our show we analyze and attempt to provide entertaining opinions.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:55 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:53 pm
mike87 wrote:
Good thing I've never considered myself a journalist. I am a commentator. On our show we analyze and attempt to provide entertaining opinions.
I have no problem with App offering this and as I said, sports reporting is different from reporting in other areas. And as you point out here there is a difference between someone attempting to state facts with those offering opinions.

Question: If you do a spot on Clemson football would you mention you had the free meal paid for by Clemson football? At what point would you do so?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:25 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:55 am
I have no problem with App offering this and as I said, sports reporting is different from reporting in other areas. And as you point out here there is a difference between someone attempting to state facts with those offering opinions.

Question: If you do a spot on Clemson football would you mention you had the free meal paid for by Clemson football? At what point would you do so?
A couple of things here…

1. I think you’re applying some kind of NCAA recruiting violations logic to working media that doesn’t actually apply.

2. Game day press boxes offer meals to working media (again, some do more than others…Clemson and South Carolina cater buffet style meals while another school might provide pre-wrapped sandwiches and sodas. In the past App has provided Papa John’s pizzas) as a courtesy to media members who are dedicating an entire day to covering their team.

3. We talked about our experience for the entire first segment of our show yesterday because Clemson fans like to hear about the inner workings of facilities they don’t get access to and a major concept in radio is “bring the listener into your life and your experiences”.

4. I don’t know what “a spot on Clemson” means. We talk about them every day. We talk about South Carolina, Georgia, Panthers, PGA, MLB every single day. We base our show content on what the audience wants to hear about and what they interact with.

Clemson goes above and beyond because they have the resources to do so and as a “thank you” for the media members who dedicate their entire professional lives to covering them. It’s not some kind of quid pro quo.

I can’t speak for the myriad of outlets who cover Clemson as to whether they feel it necessary to say nice things to keep their access…that’s on them -and- they have to create content to keep their own readers happy. Usually that means gumdrops and rainbows content. But our show has been critical of Clemson when warranted and we’ve praised them when warranted. And we’ve never been told “you’re on thin ice with us…say another negative thing and you’re cut off”. It just doesn’t happen with them. South Carolina on the other hand…🤣…Marc has pissed someone off and we don’t get invited to whatever special events they do. But that’s their prerogative and we don’t feel compelled to say nice things about them JUST to get back in the door.

If you’d like to hear how we described our experience, here’s a link. https://go.audacy.com/AqbE5quNOrb

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:03 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:48 pm
I had one heck of an experience today. I attended Clemson's media outing and I think this event could and should be replicated by App State.

All of this occurred in Clemson's football complex. It's where the athletes come to get their meals, physical treatment, hair cuts, work outs, lounge areas, game rooms, etc. It's where the program houses its national championship trophies, bowl game trophies, examples of their ACC championship rings. They have a Nike jersey room where they have mannequins dressed in their uniform combos. They had a game-day locker filled with all the things the university stocks in the players' lockers. It was truly special. All of these are things App State has that fans and media don't ever get to see.

An itinerary of what happened:
7:30am breakfast
8am-10am offensive and defensive coach availability
10am-11:30m Media olympics*
11:30am catered lunch
Noon - Dabo Swinney availability

*For the media olympics attending media were split into groups, paired with program staff, and two or three "pros" (former players). We then engaged in 4 stations: measuring vertical leap, tailgate games, kicking PATs, and throwing corner fades into the end zone, all inside Clemson's actual workout space and indoor practice facility. They kept score for all these events and at the end, the winning team got little medals.

Talk about ingratiating yourself to the local media. All of this was Dabo's idea AND with the exception of the catered breakfast and lunch, which they didn't have to do, it was entirely free for Clemson to put on.

A lot of people complain that Charlotte, Winston, Greensboro, and Raleigh media ignore largely ignore App State....THIS is how you get media to show up. Invite them up for a good time, show off how special what App State has is, and get them talking about you.
Did they let you go down the slide?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:33 am

No!!! That’s the only thing they specifically disallowed us to do. Lame!

appswin1

Unread post by appswin1 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:47 pm

This is a great idea and should be sent to DG and crew IMO.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:14 pm

appswin1 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:47 pm
This is a great idea and should be sent to DG and crew IMO.
I agree

Send Doug an email

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:22 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Wasn't personal buddy. Enjoy your show. Just a hanging curve that needed a hit. ;)

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:28 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:22 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Wasn't personal buddy. Enjoy your show. Just a hanging curve that needed a hit. ;)
No offense taken 87!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”