Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Unc to sec?

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: Unc to sec?

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:41 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:06 pm
I see those 4 leaving but not that way. unc to SEC? just don't see it. Virginia to SEC? No way. I see unc to big 10 and Virginia for sure.
NC State and it's blue-collared persona seems more in line with the SEC schools than UNC or Virginia.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:43 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:20 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:23 pm
bcoach wrote:
I see those 4 leaving but not that way. unc to SEC? just don't see it. Virginia to SEC? No way. I see unc to big 10 and Virginia for sure.
I agree with you...Why the SEC wants UNC & Virginia is strange...NCSU & VT seem like better options for football.

I get that UNC is a national brand....but they just don't seem like a fit in the SEC
Actually I see them leaving but not only them. I see Clemson and Fla State going to SEC. I see unc, Virginia, and Duke going to Big 10 maybe Miami also. Not sure NCSU or VT will be invited to either one. Maybe NCSU for TV market but not feeling it. Not sure anyone else in ACC will get the invite. I think the ACC is in a little trouble.
I've been called a closet Duke fan, but the chances of Duke getting into, or wanting to, or being accepted into the Big Ten is less than me winning the Power Ball lottery. And that ain't happening because I don't waste my money on the tickets.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:45 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:41 pm
bcoach wrote:
NC State and it's blue-collared persona seems more in line with the SEC schools than UNC or Virginia.
UNC-Chapel Hell would be one of the doormats in the SEC football standings. Hell, they do good just staying out of the cellar in ACC football at least pre-Mack Brown.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:16 pm

I'm sure in their minds (UNC) the SEC is "below them"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:06 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:43 pm
bcoach wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
bcoach wrote:
I agree with you...Why the SEC wants UNC & Virginia is strange...NCSU & VT seem like better options for football.

I get that UNC is a national brand....but they just don't seem like a fit in the SEC
Actually I see them leaving but not only them. I see Clemson and Fla State going to SEC. I see unc, Virginia, and Duke going to Big 10 maybe Miami also. Not sure NCSU or VT will be invited to either one. Maybe NCSU for TV market but not feeling it. Not sure anyone else in ACC will get the invite. I think the ACC is in a little trouble.
I've been called a closet Duke fan, but the chances of Duke getting into, or wanting to, or being accepted into the Big Ten is less than me winning the Power Ball lottery. And that ain't happening because I don't waste my money on the tickets.
Somebody must have bought you a ticket.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:05 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:43 pm
bcoach wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Hey! You recycled my line. Except I’ll occasionally throw a few bucks at the jackpot. :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:17 am

Our TV revenue is looking to be not much more than table scraps.The chasm broadens.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:09 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:17 am
Our TV revenue is looking to be not much more than table scraps.The chasm broadens.
I'm not sure anyone would have seriously thought it would have been any different :(
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:17 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:47 pm
bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:41 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:14 pm

The ACC is in pretty good position to come out of this in a good spot, if not the best spot. They have the inside track at getting ND to join the ACC. They are members in all sports sans football and the ACC is good with the current deal they have with ND. Both sides win. ND doesn’t need to join a league for football. The BIG wants ND. The SEC knows that it has little to no shot of getting ND and is just fine with keeping ND happy so that they don’t join the BIG.

As long as ND holds out, and there is no reason for them to cave, this either becomes a standstill for completion, or the BIG and SEC go another direction.
I firmly believe ND will be in the BIG. Money will win out.
Maybe. But they don’t need the money. They are already a top 10 revenue school with its own media deal for football and other sports. Joining the BIG does nothing for them that they can’t do for themselves. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
The one thing it may do for them is to keep a path open for them to make the CFP. Currently, they have that option, but if the BIG and SEC change the rules (or defect and create their own level of College Sports), Notre Dame is going to have to fall in line. Also, their TV Deal could go south if their former PAC and current BIG rivals decide to flex their own muscle when it comes to games with Notre Dame, or no longer have room in the schedule to play the Irish.
I don’t see the SEC pushing for that to happen for reasons mentioned above. Why would teams want to stop playing the Irish? Out of spite?
I don't think it would be out of spite. They could get into a situation where they play all BIG games or all BIG games with two or three games against the other Super Conference.
When I said flex their muscle, that was in regards to TV rights. I could see a scenario where all BIG games or ESPN games are on their network of choice. In that instance, the Irish's own deal would lose value. Is NBC (or another network) going to pay big $$$ to an independent IRISH program forever?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:06 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:07 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:41 pm

I firmly believe ND will be in the BIG. Money will win out.
Maybe. But they don’t need the money. They are already a top 10 revenue school with its own media deal for football and other sports. Joining the BIG does nothing for them that they can’t do for themselves. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
The one thing it may do for them is to keep a path open for them to make the CFP. Currently, they have that option, but if the BIG and SEC change the rules (or defect and create their own level of College Sports), Notre Dame is going to have to fall in line. Also, their TV Deal could go south if their former PAC and current BIG rivals decide to flex their own muscle when it comes to games with Notre Dame, or no longer have room in the schedule to play the Irish.
I don’t see the SEC pushing for that to happen for reasons mentioned above. Why would teams want to stop playing the Irish? Out of spite?
I don't think it would be out of spite. They could get into a situation where they play all BIG games or all BIG games with two or three games against the other Super Conference.
When I said flex their muscle, that was in regards to TV rights. I could see a scenario where all BIG games or ESPN games are on their network of choice. In that instance, the Irish's own deal would lose value. Is NBC (or another network) going to pay big $$$ to an independent IRISH program forever?
What you are suggesting could easily happen. But so can a lot of things. ND Is tied to NBC until 2025 and the ACC until 2028. Could those deals be broken? Of course. But here is the thing. Everyone who has an opinion and they are largely based on the premise that money talks. ESPN is probably OK with ND staying where they are. Why you may ask? ND isn’t a fit for the SEC, which ESPN controls. FOX has the BIG so they really don’t want ND to go there. Honestly, there are so many moving parts and fans that think that there school is the next one to be called, it really is hard to fathom where this ends up.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:06 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

What you are suggesting could easily happen. But so can a lot of things. ND Is tied to NBC until 2025 and the ACC until 2028. Could those deals be broken? Of course. But here is the thing. Everyone who has an opinion and they are largely based on the premise that money talks. ESPN is probably OK with ND staying where they are. Why you may ask? ND isn’t a fit for the SEC, which ESPN controls. FOX has the BIG so they really don’t want ND to go there. Honestly, there are so many moving parts and fans that think that there school is the next one to be called, it really is hard to fathom where this ends up.
The only thing easy, schools are going to do what is in their best interest.

App is in the best position it has ever been in since joining the FBS. We are in a conference we can compete in and the teams we are competing against care about their athletics and most importantly their school.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:12 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:06 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:

The only thing easy, schools are going to do what is in their best interest.

App is in the best position it has ever been in since joining the FBS. We are in a conference we can compete in and the teams we are competing against care about their athletics and most importantly their school.
Completely agree that schools are going to do what is in their best interest. As it should be. My point is that most people don’t really understand what that means. Reading message boards of schools like Carolina and ECU is pretty interesting because the rationale for making moves is quite ego centric.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 am

"Reading message boards of schools like Carolina and ECU is pretty interesting because the rationale for making moves is quite ego centric."

NO ...... You must be mistaken
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:27 am

Both UNC and UVA are flagship universities, like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss Texas, Arkansas, and Mizzou. This is the SEC's reason for pursuit.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 am

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:27 am
Both UNC and UVA are flagship universities, like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss Texas, Arkansas, and Mizzou. This is the SEC's reason for pursuit.
This and the North Carolina market.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 am
appstate77 wrote:
While football absolutely drives the SEC, bringing in UNC and UVA could add to the bball and help challenge for overall conference supremacy against the B1G. Having strength across all platforms could further add to the ability to break from the NCAA, which has always been the popular rumor.

That, coupled with the fact that neither school challenges the current SEC members in football, but adds viewers and name recognition, could be seen as a reason to add both.

Can you imagine how much of a pre-season paper Tiger UNC will be as members of the SEC? They’ll consistently be ranked top 10 in every poll, only to finish 6-6 and 25th 🤪
Give 'em hell!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:29 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
While football absolutely drives the SEC, bringing in UNC and UVA could add to the bball and help challenge for overall conference supremacy against the B1G. Having strength across all platforms could further add to the ability to break from the NCAA, which has always been the popular rumor.

That, coupled with the fact that neither school challenges the current SEC members in football, but adds viewers and name recognition, could be seen as a reason to add both.

Can you imagine how much of a pre-season paper Tiger UNC will be as members of the SEC? They’ll consistently be ranked top 10 in every poll, only to finish 6-6 and 25th 🤪
I think that you are right here. Keeping Virginia and UNC from being B1G schools would be at the top of the list along with the other points you mentioned.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:38 am

BeauFoster wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:

Agree that moving to the SEC doesn’t really help them get better in football. The other aspect is the SEC doesn’t sponsor many of the sports that UNC excels in. So while joining the SEC in football and basketball looks like a cool thing, what do they do with their elite level soccer, lacrosse, and women’s field hockey teams?

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:45 pm

I did hear an interesting theory on Friday on sports radio in Raleigh - I'm not sure who the college football "expert" was but his thought was regarding UNC as an example - If UNC bolted the ACC of course they would lose the media rights money - his thinking was that the Big 10 has so much money they could make a donation to the UNC education foundation for the yearly amounts UNC loses - I have no idea if this legal or even being considered but it was an interesting take - he said if 4-5 ACC teams jumped it would not be possible to cover them all ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:38 am
BeauFoster wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:

Agree that moving to the SEC doesn’t really help them get better in football. The other aspect is the SEC doesn’t sponsor many of the sports that UNC excels in. So while joining the SEC in football and basketball looks like a cool thing, what do they do with their elite level soccer, lacrosse, and women’s field hockey teams?
They are not going to the SEC. Both will be going to the BIG as it is just a much better fit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”