Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Big Ten...Uhhh Sixteen

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Big Ten...Uhhh Sixteen

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:28 am

hapapp wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:54 am
bcoach wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:49 am
bcoach wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:45 am
There are going to be two 32 team conferences. It will be a 64 team league. Going to have divisions just like the NFL. They are leaving the NCAA and doing their own thing. Works out well for BB also. They will not be sharing the money with the rest of us. We best tighten our belts and hold on tight. As a side note Teams like Boston College and maybe even VT may not be part of it.
I don’t see 64. Schools like BC, Vandy, and Wake could balk at this. I can see around 40, maybe 48.
It doesn't really matter who balks if they are not invited. If they are not invited there is simply nothing they can do about it. Lets just take BC. ESPN has zero interest in them as they draw zero to a TV screen. You have to remember this will have nothing to do with the NCAA it is going to be an ESPN league. This is all about money. If you have no draw you have no value. The only real question is how soon. ALL the big boys are saying why the heck are we sharing our dollars with the guys who bring nothing to the table. They are tired of sending checks to guys like BC and then there is us.
Of course, the B1G is not an ESPN product. Its contract is with Fox Sports.
For now.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:59 pm

Schools are going to get the best deals they can for their school.

There will be some conferences that are not going to let you in regardless of what you do, just ask ECU why they are not in the ACC...

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:42 pm

Wonder which school this writer is referring to with the "Look-down-the-nose" attitude? :D :D :D I have one guess :o

"For West Virginia, the options, and the realistic chances of them occurring, are still pretty much the same as they were a year ago when Texas and OU announced their departures. Were it up to WVU administrators (or Mountaineer fans) alone, joining the ACC would be the preferred option, with proximity to schools, natural rivalries and the ability of fans to travel to road games dominating. However, barring a change in the look-down-the-nose attitude of at least one power broker in that league, West Virginia isn’t going to get an invite to the league that it probably should have been in from its formation in 1953. "
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:21 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:42 pm
Wonder which school this writer is referring to with the "Look-down-the-nose" attitude? :D :D :D I have one guess :o

"For West Virginia, the options, and the realistic chances of them occurring, are still pretty much the same as they were a year ago when Texas and OU announced their departures. Were it up to WVU administrators (or Mountaineer fans) alone, joining the ACC would be the preferred option, with proximity to schools, natural rivalries and the ability of fans to travel to road games dominating. However, barring a change in the look-down-the-nose attitude of at least one power broker in that league, West Virginia isn’t going to get an invite to the league that it probably should have been in from its formation in 1953. "
WVU would hate to be in the Sunbelt, they would have to play Marshall every year.

The only Mountaineers not afraid to go to Huntington are from Boone.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:44 pm

I've mentioned this on this and delphi over the years. College sports are going to go full pro in the long run. Colleges will have teams who represent them through NIL money or whatever its iteration it is at that point and the players will not be forced to be students. They can if they want to be but it will just be a minor league system for various professional and Olympic teams/leagues. Players may just be on full contracts by then. The NCAA will either be fully dead, or they will have picked up the pieces of D3-fcs/g5 and reformed itself in a minor capacity while the top schools form their own pro minor league. It's coming. I think it is still 15+ years away but it's coming.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:52 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:44 pm
I've mentioned this on this and delphi over the years. College sports are going to go full pro in the long run. Colleges will have teams who represent them through NIL money or whatever its iteration it is at that point and the players will not be forced to be students. They can if they want to be but it will just be a minor league system for various professional and Olympic teams/leagues. Players may just be on full contracts by then. The NCAA will either be fully dead, or they will have picked up the pieces of D3-fcs/g5 and reformed itself in a minor capacity while the top schools form their own pro minor league. It's coming. I think it is still 15+ years away but it's coming.
It is coming and if it happens much earlier than your timeline I won’t be shocked.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:02 pm

Some of these speculations get really wild. How many truly legit big time programs are out there, maybe 6-8? I'm talking about the ones who annually can load up with really good recruits. You can do whatever you want with conferences and schools but that doesn't create more 5 star high school kids. The pool of players doesn't really change. We will still have the occasional undefeated team or a couple of 12-1 type schools. The middling P5's are still gonna go 4-8 to 6-6 and never sniff a playoff.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:16 pm

NBA is sort of going the way of MLB (farm system) with their G league. Now if the NFL will adapt their practice squads to full teams we will have a way for those who only want to play sports. Let the colleges and universities get back to having amateur sports. No Divisions, just conferences. Play who ever, where ever, when ever.
Bring Your A Game!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:42 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:16 pm
NBA is sort of going the way of MLB (farm system) with their G league. Now if the NFL will adapt their practice squads to full teams we will have a way for those who only want to play sports. Let the colleges and universities get back to having amateur sports. No Divisions, just conferences. Play who ever, where ever, when ever.
Having this might help save the college part of college football...

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:46 pm

As long as if App still plays, can win a conference championship, and kick ass in a bowl game…all the Alabama’s and Ohio State’s can go play in their own corner for all I care.

Granted, it’ll be funny seeing Rutgers fans around Pasadena for a regular season game.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:00 am

It's really kind of disappointing to see college football evolve into what is becoming. When I watch some of these older videos of us winning "big" SOCON conference games and "big" FCS playoff and championship games then read the constant posts about playoffs and money grabs those good ole days seem so far away. Watching the fans reactions after beating what is now considered a program beneath us (a Furman or even a JMU) is awesome. When we moved to the Belt and had immediate success we were all excited and when we won those bowl games and the conference championship games it was also beyond exciting (at least for me). Now it seems like we can't simply enjoy game days and those achievements because it's all about getting into a playoff or the NY6 game. As much as I'd love to see App State win it all that simply can't be it as far as a successful season goes. Nobody wants to be relegated to a subdivision again but in reality if there were really these 40 superpowers in their own division the remaining 80 or so real college football programs could still have some great games, Saturdays might go back to what they used to be and bowls or another playoff format could still work.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:30 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:00 am
It's really kind of disappointing to see college football evolve into what is becoming. When I watch some of these older videos of us winning "big" SOCON conference games and "big" FCS playoff and championship games then read the constant posts about playoffs and money grabs those good ole days seem so far away. Watching the fans reactions after beating what is now considered a program beneath us (a Furman or even a JMU) is awesome. When we moved to the Belt and had immediate success we were all excited and when we won those bowl games and the conference championship games it was also beyond exciting (at least for me). Now it seems like we can't simply enjoy game days and those achievements because it's all about getting into a playoff or the NY6 game. As much as I'd love to see App State win it all that simply can't be it as far as a successful season goes. Nobody wants to be relegated to a subdivision again but in reality if there were really these 40 superpowers in their own division the remaining 80 or so real college football programs could still have some great games, Saturdays might go back to what they used to be and bowls or another playoff format could still work.
While that last part sounds great and all the money grain would follow the top 40. How many of those next 80 could make it without their current tv and conference contracts? It wouldn't just be football but all sports. What does a super conference do to march madness? I think many schools will start dropping sports when the current conference money starts drying up. So as much as we want to gripe about the money grab, the money grab is what keeps the product on the field.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:14 pm

Two conferences with divisions not in the NCAA. I say 64 but yes it could be less. Whatever the number they will take all the money with them.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Super conferences just do not work and they never have. A group of schools will get together and form their own conference from the super conference, because they can make more money if they do or they will try to be independent for a time because someone is successful doing that.

The Southern Conference formed from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_ ... ssociation because it go to be too big and less then ten years later the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Conference formed. Thirty years later the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference formed.

This is all because super conferences do not work. People want to see certain games played and when those teams no longer meet then the conference goes away. Right now the Sunbelt has these super conferences beat because they are going to play this fall, at least in the east, games that these schools fans and alumni want to see played with players that want their parents and loved ones to see them play.

At present only the MAC and Sunbelt have that figured out.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:05 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:30 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
While that last part sounds great and all the money grain would follow the top 40. How many of those next 80 could make it without their current tv and conference contracts? It wouldn't just be football but all sports. What does a super conference do to march madness? I think many schools will start dropping sports when the current conference money starts drying up. So as much as we want to gripe about the money grab, the money grab is what keeps the product on the field.
Oh I totally agree with all of that. Ultimately I don't really see two huge conferences working because half or more of those schools will lose more than win. Does the average fan really care about the money their school makes if the team is average or below average? Would Vandy fans take 10-2 seasons if it meant leaving the SEC? I know that's crazy to even suggest but if (hypothetically) App moved to the ACC and we knew ahead of time that despite our best efforts we would be 6-6 or worse for the next 10 years I personally don't think I'd be on board. Guess I'm old or nuts but I simply enjoy watching us play.

If our conference completely regionalized to the point of having every opponent a busride from Boone and we knew that we could pack in 35k for 6 (or 7) games would that potential gate negate a drop in TV revenue? The added gate plus less travel expense has to account for something.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:28 pm

If our conference completely regionalized to the point of having every opponent a busride from Boone and we knew that we could pack in 35k for 6 (or 7) games would that potential gate negate a drop in TV revenue? The added gate plus less travel expense has to account for something.
[/quote]

I would very much like to see Appalachian in a, "Road Trip," conference against teams that are natural rivals as well as being able to see those games on TV and Streamed as well. All in the same time zone. I am surprised that the two divisions of the Sunbelt are not the Eastern Time Zone and Central Time Zone or Romeo and Sierra. -5 and -6 UTC.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:59 pm

I could be wrong but I don't see the doom and gloom some of you see - I don't see where these super conferences are going to hurt programs APP -we all know realistically we will never play for THE National Championship, nor will we likely play in very top tier bowl game - So many programs have put huge money into upgrading football - facilities, coaches, recruiting like APP to just say - Oh well, it's over for us now. Now I do see a problem with the also-rans of the Power 5 conferences, as well as teams like WVU who could be competitive in a conference but because of real or perceived lack of market value will be left behind -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:48 pm

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:55 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
When we were in FCS it was all about getting into and winning the NC. Now it is about NY6 or the best we can be. As long as we play the game we should aspire to win at the highest level we can. I don’t see why it is any different in 2022 than in 2005 or 1995. Our goal is to make our program the best it can be and since we are FBS if means all that goes with that. Just enjoy it.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:15 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:55 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
When we were in FCS it was all about getting into and winning the NC. Now it is about NY6 or the best we can be. As long as we play the game we should aspire to win at the highest level we can. I don’t see why it is any different in 2022 than in 2005 or 1995. Our goal is to make our program the best it can be and since we are FBS if means all that goes with that. Just enjoy it.
This season should be so awesome for App because we are playing more geographical rivals than we have ever played since Marshall has been in the SoCon.

All we need to do is help ECU and Furman join the Sunbelt East...
Last edited by AppWyo on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”