Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Big Ten...Uhhh Sixteen

AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Big Ten...Uhhh Sixteen

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:49 pm

This is all Appalachian's fault.

Had App not beaten Michigan in the first football game ever broadcast on the Big Ten Network, no one would have noticed the Big Ten Network and would not have grown to be the juggernaut it is today.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:57 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:49 pm
This is all Appalachian's fault.

This is not such a crazy idea. I'm not sure how the Big 10 network figures into it, but our big day in 07 told the little guys, "Hey there's a place at the big boy table for you!"
The big boys have replied "No there isn't! We'll make ourselves exclusively rich so you cannot join our club"

Food for thought.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 pm

Greed, and I hate it, but its going to be funny in a few years when all these schools beat each other up religiously. One thing we all have in common when it comes to sports is we love rooting for a winner and the chance to win. With the exception of a few teams in these new conferences, get ready to do some big time loosing. I wonder how 15 years straight of .500 and below .500 records will impact all of these "big" schools. Maybe you just go to the game, tailgate, get bombed, loose and accept it. For the ACC, if they could somehow weather this, keep a spot at the table, not get as much money, BUT, have good teams that are nationally relevant, in the long run, it may work out. Hell, we do without the money and compete with them just fine.
Lots of good HS players out there that want to play, good coaches that want to make a name for themselves, not everyone can go to Bama and OSU. I used to root against Bama and OSU, now I root for them to dominate, let the others never taste a championship. Have fun.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:01 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:16 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 am
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:32 am
The only chance the ACC has to survive is to do something drastic. If I were the ACC commish, I'd be on the phone to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, Stanford and the Arizonas trying to sell them on becoming the All Coast Conference. Even that might not be enough.

The interesting thing about the media deals is that the B1G is a Fox property. So, E$PN might allow the ACC to pursue those West Coast schools. Or maybe they won't.
If the SEC responds then FSU and Clemson are gone. Notre Dame will never join ACC in football and probably never was going to but they are likely in discussions with B1G at this point after USC news.
I know that anything can happen, but there was an SEC guy on SiriusXM last night who said that the SEC has little interest in Clemson, FSU or Miami because those are markets they already control. Said VT and NC State would be more likely.
I would agree with that also. I guess it really depends on how ESPN sees it obviously FSU and Clemson are more valuable brands and have higher football viewership numbers than State or VT. I think the old way of thinking about markets is misguided they may think they have the Florida market and the South Carolina market but they don't own the Clemson fan or FSU fan market and those are national brands with lots of fans.

I actually would like to see State join the SEC just to see them suddenly rolling in twice as much money as their flagship counterpart up the street.

At this point the ACC should be at least talking to WV, Cincinnati and UConn, not to necessarily invite right now but to dance with. They have no real options.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:50 pm

Supposedly the B1G is awaiting a decision from Notre Dame, at which point they'll accept UW, OU, and Stanford.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Super conferences do not work, they never have, because they are just too big and unwieldy. just like the formation of the Southern Conference from the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association. The SEC split off from the Southern as well as the ACC. Conference USA was envisioned as an airplane conference.(Look at it now) The Mountain West was formed out of the WAC. Even the Big 12 was formed out of the SWC and Big 8. The Big East got too big and does not even sponsor football anymore. The WAC is now FCS. Super conferences do not work. Ask Notre Dame, joining a conference is the last thing they want to do. What the Sunbelt has built and continues to build is where Appalachian needs to be at this time.

If there actually is a true football playoff then the conferences will break apart.

Fans want to see their school play their rivals regardless of anything else. This is the reason the Mountain West was formed from the WAC and the ACC went to a 3-5-5 scheduling model.

That is one of the reasons App and GS move to the Sunbelt was so successful. With the addition of the teams to the Sunbelt East it will continue to work.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:14 pm

Wondering if the Rose Bowl will come off the staunch stance about matching PAC 12 and Big 10 now that USC and UCLA are gone?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:55 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:14 pm
Wondering if the Rose Bowl will come off the staunch stance about matching PAC 12 and Big 10 now that USC and UCLA are gone?
That will be the new Big 10 championship game, so it will be into February when the playoffs are over since they will now start after New Years Day.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:52 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 pm
Greed, and I hate it, but its going to be funny in a few years when all these schools beat each other up religiously. One thing we all have in common when it comes to sports is we love rooting for a winner and the chance to win. With the exception of a few teams in these new conferences, get ready to do some big time loosing. I wonder how 15 years straight of .500 and below .500 records will impact all of these "big" schools. Maybe you just go to the game, tailgate, get bombed, loose and accept it. For the ACC, if they could somehow weather this, keep a spot at the table, not get as much money, BUT, have good teams that are nationally relevant, in the long run, it may work out. Hell, we do without the money and compete with them just fine.
Lots of good HS players out there that want to play, good coaches that want to make a name for themselves, not everyone can go to Bama and OSU. I used to root against Bama and OSU, now I root for them to dominate, let the others never taste a championship. Have fun.
I take it that don't watch the NFL? No one is going to care if their school goes .500 or slightly above if they have a 16 team playoff and it is sort of modeled after the NFL.

I'm still not sure what this means for the G5 because they were actually kept at bay in an expanded playoff by whom? It wasn't the SEC or Big 10. They wanted expansion.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:10 pm
Super conferences do not work, they never have, because they are just too big and unwieldy. just like the formation of the Southern Conference from the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association. The SEC split off from the Southern as well as the ACC. Conference USA was envisioned as an airplane conference.(Look at it now) The Mountain West was formed out of the WAC. Even the Big 12 was formed out of the SWC and Big 8. The Big East got too big and does not even sponsor football anymore. The WAC is now FCS. Super conferences do not work. Ask Notre Dame, joining a conference is the last thing they want to do. What the Sunbelt has built and continues to build is where Appalachian needs to be at this time.

If there actually is a true football playoff then the conferences will break apart.

Fans want to see their school play their rivals regardless of anything else. This is the reason the Mountain West was formed from the WAC and the ACC went to a 3-5-5 scheduling model.

That is one of the reasons App and GS move to the Sunbelt was so successful. With the addition of the teams to the Sunbelt East it will continue to work.
They are projecting growth in revenues still. I wonder what happens when there is a squeeze.

What is it going to be like for every other sport at UCLA and USC? This is a loss for everyone but the football programs.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:07 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:52 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 pm
I take it that don't watch the NFL? No one is going to care if their school goes .500 or slightly above if they have a 16 team playoff and it is sort of modeled after the NFL.

I'm still not sure what this means for the G5 because they were actually kept at bay in an expanded playoff by whom? It wasn't the SEC or Big 10. They wanted expansion.
40 teams that are used to being relevant regulated to Vandy status, yeah that will be fun to watch. Yeah i watch the nfl and the margins are very close bt good and bad teams, wont be the case in the new SEC and Big 10

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 pm

It will be great when the Sunbelt turns down Wake and Vanderbilt because they don't fit the Sunbelt model.....no private schools.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:45 am

There are going to be two 32 team conferences. It will be a 64 team league. Going to have divisions just like the NFL. They are leaving the NCAA and doing their own thing. Works out well for BB also. They will not be sharing the money with the rest of us. We best tighten our belts and hold on tight. As a side note Teams like Boston College and maybe even VT may not be part of it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:49 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:45 am
There are going to be two 32 team conferences. It will be a 64 team league. Going to have divisions just like the NFL. They are leaving the NCAA and doing their own thing. Works out well for BB also. They will not be sharing the money with the rest of us. We best tighten our belts and hold on tight. As a side note Teams like Boston College and maybe even VT may not be part of it.
I don’t see 64. Schools like BC, Vandy, and Wake could balk at this. I can see around 40, maybe 48.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:57 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:49 am
bcoach wrote:
I don’t see 64. Schools like BC, Vandy, and Wake could balk at this. I can see around 40, maybe 48.
Wake and Vandy will not be left behind because their law schools will not let that happen.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 am

AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
It doesn't really matter who balks if they are not invited. If they are not invited there is simply nothing they can do about it. Lets just take BC. ESPN has zero interest in them as they draw zero to a TV screen. You have to remember this will have nothing to do with the NCAA it is going to be an ESPN league. This is all about money. If you have no draw you have no value. The only real question is how soon. ALL the big boys are saying why the heck are we sharing our dollars with the guys who bring nothing to the table. They are tired of sending checks to guys like BC and then there is us.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:16 am

AppWyo wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Wake and Vandy will not be left behind because their law schools will not let that happen.
How would they stop it?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:54 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
It doesn't really matter who balks if they are not invited. If they are not invited there is simply nothing they can do about it. Lets just take BC. ESPN has zero interest in them as they draw zero to a TV screen. You have to remember this will have nothing to do with the NCAA it is going to be an ESPN league. This is all about money. If you have no draw you have no value. The only real question is how soon. ALL the big boys are saying why the heck are we sharing our dollars with the guys who bring nothing to the table. They are tired of sending checks to guys like BC and then there is us.
Of course, the B1G is not an ESPN product. Its contract is with Fox Sports.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:55 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Balks, not invited, same results but your point stands. There just aren’t enough schools that bring enough in terms with of revenue to justify inclusion. There are currently 64 teams in P5 conferences. Add ND to that and you have 65. So how many of those institutions bring enough money to the table to justify sharing the pie? If this has been “all about the money”, you can’t discount how it affects the hangers on.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:22 am

I hope the LIV golf blows up in all the golfers careers where they have decided to put money (when they already have a ton of it) over some basic principles of human decency. Maybe they will then serve as a warning that raw money grabs will not work in the end. History does not do a great job of giving me much hope.

When I had a meter to record my media consumption I made sure not to watch any Prig5 schools unless it was App or another Great5 school also involved that was close to App. We can't stop the fans of Alabama from watching Alabama but the fans of Troy and USA need to turn the TV off when Alabama is on TV. We need to do the same for the ACC in our area.

The money is there because people tune in. Those of us that want a larger pool of schools, such as the Great5 schools need to use what media muscle we have.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”