Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

Bootsy
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:46 am

I have some good friends who are well-placed in the Pirate Club. One interesting comment they make is how ECU athletics has struggled with the higher academic expectations of the AAC versus what they enjoyed as a C-USA member.

And while I don't believe this would be the case with App like it is with ECU, I agree that not having have schools of Law, Medicine, etc. and not being a research-oriented university will definitely limit App's future conference aspirations.

Oh yeah, and we don't have any money.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:31 am

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:46 am
I have some good friends who are well-placed in the Pirate Club. One interesting comment they make is how ECU athletics has struggled with the higher academic expectations of the AAC versus what they enjoyed as a C-USA member.

And while I don't believe this would be the case with App like it is with ECU, I agree that not having have schools of Law, Medicine, etc. and not being a research-oriented university will definitely limit App's future conference aspirations.

Man, you covered our situation completely in two statement (1) we don’t have any post graduate professional schools and (2) we don’t have any money!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 am

Bootsy wrote:

Frankly, this sounds like excuse making more than anything. Every AD is different on what they are willing to do. Most of the SEC schools are R1 and even a few AAU schools but they were the poster child for Underwater basketweaving degrees. I mean UNC is (supposedly) a good school but their athletes didnt' even go to class to begin with.

A few years ago, we decided to break ties with a commit over grades and he immediately signed with USF (an aac school), they got him in no problem. And USF is a good school on the fast track to AAU status.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:10 am

When ? Last year , prior to Sunbelt expansion .

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:21 pm

Schools are like athletes, you get the best athletes in character and ability you will have the best team, you get the best schools in character and ability and you will have the best conference.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:52 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 am
Bootsy wrote:

Frankly, this sounds like excuse making more than anything. Every AD is different on what they are willing to do. Most of the SEC schools are R1 and even a few AAU schools but they were the poster child for Underwater basketweaving degrees. I mean UNC is (supposedly) a good school but their athletes didnt' even go to class to begin with.

A few years ago, we decided to break ties with a commit over grades and he immediately signed with USF (an aac school), they got him in no problem. And USF is a good school on the fast track to AAU status.
I think it has less to do with academic standards per se than the what the overall academic profile of the school.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:42 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 am
Bootsy wrote:

You may be right. I'm just sharing what was shared with me.
It's not like East Carolina is known for the academic strength of its degree programs.
But in this day and age, I suppose anything is possible anywhere. Nothing surprises me anymore.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:22 pm

you think being the newest FBS team might have some impact? I'd say we are consistently outkicking our coverage and the revenue is just building slower than the athletic success. We know of the rich football and overall athletic tradition at App but the rest of the world thinks we played a game in 2007 then started back when we joined the Sun Belt. That includes probably 75% of our own alumni. I personally know a couple of alums who are extremely successful and could make a significant impact. I've invited them, encouraged them and even shamed them trying to get them in the club. The needle is just moving slowly.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:23 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:22 pm
you think being the newest FBS team might have some impact? I'd say we are consistently outkicking our coverage and the revenue is just building slower than the athletic success. We know of the rich football and overall athletic tradition at App but the rest of the world thinks we played a game in 2007 then started back when we joined the Sun Belt. That includes probably 75% of our own alumni. I personally know a couple of alums who are extremely successful and could make a significant impact. I've invited them, encouraged them and even shamed them trying to get them in the club. The needle is just moving slowly.
Since Appalachian has not had the resources to spend on their programs that many programs have to spend, they may have spent it more wisely, as a result, recognized success that has alluded many programs.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:24 pm

I wonder how many fan bases resent the success that Appalachian has had and continues to have?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:21 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:15 am
fjblair wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 am
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 am
They will pass us in the long run. Make fun of them while you can. Eventually they will land their Jerry Moore that takes them to new heights and shows Charlotte investors that it's a worthy investment. Then the NIL money will roll in bringing bigger recruits.

Realistically, many on this board won't be alive to see it, but it's coming. Enjoy the hating and mocking while it lasts.
Why so butthurt? When did you attend UNCC?

Anything can happen, but NIL is not going to transform UNCC and crush ASU.
Lol, butthurt? You sure do like make up things that don't exist. I never attended UNCC. Why are you so butthurt about someone predicting a pretty obvious future? As someone else already pointed out, they outpace us in many other ways athletically already, football will be no different in the long run. Let me know when our alum, most of which don't give a dime to Yosef, will out NIL the city of Charlotte and all the advertising opportunities it will bring to future players. Don't be so short sighted with all that is currently going on in college sports. I said on this board years ago that college sports would eventually turn pro and players would no longer be student athletes unless they chose to take classes and that colleges would simply "sponsor" a team to play sports in their name. We are on the way there now. It won't happen over night, but 40-60 years from now college sports will just be a paid pro minor league for all sports.
sorry to bring up this old post, but i've been looking for this graph for the last 2 weeks.
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/ ... Metros/CFB

This is the opposite mindset our admin and football program need to take. We are not outside looking in to the Charlotte market waiting for UNCC to take it. We ARE the Charlotte market and we're kicking ass in it.
When you look at the "big" NIL deals right now, its almost always just boosters or rich alums funneling money that used to go backdoor through the front. Nothing has really changed its just out in the open. Maybe UNCC gets a billionaire alum who does it for them, or maybe we do, can't control that.

When businesses with no ties are looking to invest in college football programs, the ??? they are going to ask is how is my investment going to pay off, they don't care about laundering money for the program, they care about making money off their investment. Do they want to invest in the program that has a 7% market share (tied with UNC), or the program that is statistically insignificant?

Now it's incumbent on our NIL department to disseminate this information to businesses, but this is the data they are looking for in making decisions about NIL.

What you say may come true, but i think we have more than a punchers chance of staying extremely relevant in the Charlotte market and keeping and growing our place as the most popular G5 team.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:26 am

Two advantages they have: a nearby airport and a rail.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:33 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:26 am
Two advantages they have: a nearby airport and a rail.
And in about a decade high speed rail should be commencing between Virginia and North Carolina and that likely will extend to Greensboro and Charlotte. I don't see the high speed rail just stopping at Raleigh.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:41 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:21 am
appdaze wrote:
fjblair wrote:
appdaze wrote:
They will pass us in the long run. Make fun of them while you can. Eventually they will land their Jerry Moore that takes them to new heights and shows Charlotte investors that it's a worthy investment. Then the NIL money will roll in bringing bigger recruits.

Realistically, many on this board won't be alive to see it, but it's coming. Enjoy the hating and mocking while it lasts.

Lol, butthurt? You sure do like make up things that don't exist. I never attended UNCC. Why are you so butthurt about someone predicting a pretty obvious future? As someone else already pointed out, they outpace us in many other ways athletically already, football will be no different in the long run. Let me know when our alum, most of which don't give a dime to Yosef, will out NIL the city of Charlotte and all the advertising opportunities it will bring to future players. Don't be so short sighted with all that is currently going on in college sports. I said on this board years ago that college sports would eventually turn pro and players would no longer be student athletes unless they chose to take classes and that colleges would simply "sponsor" a team to play sports in their name. We are on the way there now. It won't happen over night, but 40-60 years from now college sports will just be a paid pro minor league for all sports.
sorry to bring up this old post, but i've been looking for this graph for the last 2 weeks.

This is the opposite mindset our admin and football program need to take. We are not outside looking in to the Charlotte market waiting for UNCC to take it. We ARE the Charlotte market and we're kicking ass in it.
When you look at the "big" NIL deals right now, its almost always just boosters or rich alums funneling money that used to go backdoor through the front. Nothing has really changed its just out in the open. Maybe UNCC gets a billionaire alum who does it for them, or maybe we do, can't control that.

When businesses with no ties are looking to invest in college football programs, the ??? they are going to ask is how is my investment going to pay off, they don't care about laundering money for the program, they care about making money off their investment. Do they want to invest in the program that has a 7% market share (tied with UNC), or the program that is statistically insignificant?

Now it's incumbent on our NIL department to disseminate this information to businesses, but this is the data they are looking for in making decisions about NIL.

What you say may come true, but i think we have more than a punchers chance of staying extremely relevant in the Charlotte market and keeping and growing our place as the most popular G5 team.
I wish we had a bit more presence in the Greensville-Asheville market. I guess WCU is keeping us down in that area.

Also it might be best for App sports to be part of the bigger Charlotte media market it seems Ashe county should be part of the Triad market. Maybe even Watauga County. Not that newspapers carry much weight but the W-S Journal does more for High Country coverage than the Observer does based on years gone by.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:21 am

I don't think WCU impacts us in that Greenville-Asheville market nearly as much as Clemson does.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:41 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:
fjblair wrote:
appdaze wrote:

One thing that stands out is that in North Carolina, as opposed to other markets, the most dominant share of fans are really low, because there are more teams to for which to pull. In other words, we have real choice that most markets do not have. Another interesting note, Marshall and Appalachian are the only schools in the Sunbelt that have any share at all in any market.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:41 am

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:41 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:
fjblair wrote:
appdaze wrote:

One thing that stands out is that in North Carolina, as opposed to other markets, the most dominant share of fans are really low, because there are more teams to for which to pull. In other words, we have real choice that most markets do not have. Another interesting note, Marshall and Appalachian are the only schools in the Sunbelt that have any share at all in any market.
were you looking for a specific threshold? I found every SBC school except the Alabama schools, Georgia State and Texas State.

A little surprised about troy not being in montgomery or dothan at all, but UA/AU has such a stranglehold, for instance no UAB in birmingham.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:13 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:41 am
AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:41 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:
fjblair wrote:

were you looking for a specific threshold? I found every SBC school except the Alabama schools, Georgia State and Texas State.

A little surprised about troy not being in montgomery or dothan at all, but UA/AU has such a stranglehold, for instance no UAB in birmingham.
I was just looking at the inset map of the entire United States in the upper left hand corner. That map shows the fan base across an entire state not just a specific market.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:37 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:21 am
I don't think WCU impacts us in that Greenville-Asheville market nearly as much as Clemson does.
I was making a joke about the state of WCU. I am not sure if WCU impacts Sylva, let alone the entire media market in the extreme WNC area.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:43 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:37 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:21 am
I was making a joke about the state of WCU. I am not sure if WCU impacts Sylva, let alone the entire media market in the extreme WNC area.
My bad. If I had paid attention to who posted it, I'm sure I would have picked up on the sarcasm. That's what I get for posting and multi-tasking at work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”