Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SEC will continue to discuss an SEC exclusive playoff

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

SEC will continue to discuss an SEC exclusive playoff

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon May 23, 2022 10:14 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g-meetings

"Those unknowns are on our mind as we think about decision making down the road," Sankey said. "This is a fully dynamic environment. ... It's hard to understand where things will end up if you wait for this to play out.

"We wanted to be good be good collaborators. We think we gave up a lot ... what was viewed as a balanced approach given the up-front demands eventually feel apart. We also have the responsibility to think broadly about different possibilities. The SEC will continue to do so."

APPdiesel

Re: SEC will continue to discuss an SEC exclusive playoff

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 am

If the SEC goes to a pod system they could pursue a 4 team pod champion tournament to determine conference champion.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 am
If the SEC goes to a pod system they could pursue a 4 team pod champion tournament to determine conference champion.
Yes. But they also want to threaten the rest of FBS football by dropping hints like this.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue May 24, 2022 8:33 am

I don’t know about many of you folks but with transfer portals, NIL, alliances and whatever else is out there it’s becoming more difficult to enjoy college football. The subject of a G5 (or some sort of subdivision) playoff has been debated. Most feel like an App State would just be relegated to a glorified FCS again. This isn’t to say that’s a good way to go but it might be a sad reality. That being said the real reality is that for most of us we will never see but a handful of powerful schools have a chance at the NC. Like I said, it’s getting less enjoyable by the season and personally it’s getting closer to a point of who gives a crap?!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 24, 2022 8:35 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Yes. But they also want to threaten the rest of FBS football by dropping hints like this.
Of course they do. We’re going to end up back with the old sports writers model where there are multiple national champions crowned. None will be legitimate. All will be legitimate. Chaos in the streets. Dogs and cats living together.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue May 24, 2022 10:55 am

There are some that say the Forward Pass is what really killed college football.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue May 24, 2022 11:00 am

When the playoffs are expanded, Appalachian will be there...

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue May 24, 2022 1:44 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:35 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Of course they do. We’re going to end up back with the old sports writers model where there are multiple national champions crowned. None will be legitimate. All will be legitimate. Chaos in the streets. Dogs and cats living together.
Maybe they should play 10 SEC games, have their own playoff and call the winner the national champion as they are discussing and every other P4 and G4 conference can continue on without the bullies.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue May 24, 2022 1:49 pm

Disclaimer: I don't care enough to read the article... but isn't that just the SEC Tournament, but for football?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue May 24, 2022 1:55 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:33 am
I don’t know about many of you folks but with transfer portals, NIL, alliances and whatever else is out there it’s becoming more difficult to enjoy college football. The subject of a G5 (or some sort of subdivision) playoff has been debated. Most feel like an App State would just be relegated to a glorified FCS again. This isn’t to say that’s a good way to go but it might be a sad reality. That being said the real reality is that for most of us we will never see but a handful of powerful schools have a chance at the NC. Like I said, it’s getting less enjoyable by the season and personally it’s getting closer to a point of who gives a crap?!
Same feeling, though for partially different reasons. People make the most noise about the portal and NIL. What really turns me off the most is the total controlling influence of TV, specifically ESPN. They seem to direct everything from which schools are in which conference to what day and time the games are played. College athletics is quite literally just another TV property at this point. And every decision is made to maximize revenue to that end, at the expense of traditional rivalries, regional opponents, conferences that are small enough to actually play one another and games that take place when fans can actually attend them.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue May 24, 2022 2:27 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:55 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Same feeling, though for partially different reasons. People make the most noise about the portal and NIL. What really turns me off the most is the total controlling influence of TV, specifically ESPN. They seem to direct everything from which schools are in which conference to what day and time the games are played. College athletics is quite literally just another TV property at this point. And every decision is made to maximize revenue to that end, at the expense of traditional rivalries, regional opponents, conferences that are small enough to actually play one another and games that take place when fans can actually attend them.
Since television is driving the ship, a better contract with ESPN should solve everything...

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue May 24, 2022 3:05 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:55 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
You got it. We should just go ahead and make it official and call ESPN what they are… College football Commissioner!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:18 pm

I know that there is a link to some article from ESPN that theoretically puts all FCS schools into some brackets but as I sort of watch Nebraska V NW a thought crosses my mind.

Theoretically if all 130ish schools were really put into about 4 divisions from 1 the best to 4 the lowest would App be a realistic top of the 2nd division? We all know who the top 10 or so teams are each year- no secret there but I believe when you get down to division 1 teams 15-30 there are always some who technically might get relegated (so to speak) down to division 2 and in a special year a D2 could move up. I really feel like we have maintained a solid "D2" spot for years and have flirted with being legit D1.

Again as I watch the two Big10 schools who each won 3 games last year I just feel like there are a bunch of P5 schools who have the same shot at the Natty as we do.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:40 pm

The SEC offered all of the other CFB conferences a gift with the 12 team playoff...and the ACC and Pac 12 refused. Now those conferences are disintegrating. Pac 10 is breaking up before our eyes, and ACC has maybe 4-5 yrs left until the added revenue makes it worth paying the buyout. No one but themselves to blame. The SEC was offering guaranteed playoff spots to clearly inferior conferences and they turned it down. What's going to happen? I have my theories but like everyone else IDK....but ACC and Pac 12 did this to themselves. Playoffs will be what the Big 10 and SEC say they are.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:48 pm

I’m waiting for a racketeering lawsuit…at least violation of the Taft-Hartley Ant-Trust act. Class action baby last! AndIm serious

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:57 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:48 pm
I’m waiting for a racketeering lawsuit…at least violation of the Taft-Hartley Ant-Trust act. Class action baby last! AndIm serious
I think you mean Sherman Anti-trust Taft-Hartley is about about labor unions with some parts of this legislation allowing states to pass right-to-work-for-less. It also regulates funds that are administrated by labor unions and management representatives.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:55 pm

This is my glass half full view

Right now I think there will be a p2 and a next3. I think we are in on a next3.

I think conference Champs will get a spot in a sixteen team playoff. After those five spots it will be at large. My guess is mwc/pac, big 12 and acc are the next 3 and they will be 20 teams as well. So 100 teams. I think we make the ACC after it is raided by the p2 (sec and Big 10)

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:31 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:57 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:48 pm
:D :D
I think you mean Sherman Anti-trust Taft-Hartley is about about labor unions with some parts of this legislation allowing states to pass right-to-work-for-less. It also regulates funds that are administrated by labor unions and management representatives.
You coulda stopped after “mean” :D

ashugh

Unread post by ashugh » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:00 am

All of this greed at the top is going to continue until there is a major implosion. Back stabbing, money hungry, system rigging conglomerates like the made up autonomous 5 and ESPN will eventually turn on each other and it will be a colossal failure, imo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”