Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU softball player Lauren Bernett dies

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: JMU softball player Lauren Bernett dies

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 am

Social Media - as a whole - has been the worst - there have always been fights at school and on the playgrounds - there has always been bullying - but when kids left school it was basically over - now it is 24/7 - and they are run by assholes who care about nothing but money ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:21 am

It would be hard for me to believe that schools, coaches, trainers teammates are not getting some awareness training of depression these days. Many unfortunately are good at hiding it until it's too late. I've lost 3 friends to suicide, never had a clue.

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:41 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 pm
The lock down policies have proven detrimental to our youth. Period. Bottom line.
Not locking down would have ended up with more deaths in the general population
Lock downs did more harm than good. Kids are still suffering because of these short-sighted decisions. Here some stats for you from Johns Hopkins nonetheless...

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... ths-by-0-2

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:42 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:21 am
It would be hard for me to believe that schools, coaches, trainers teammates are not getting some awareness training of depression these days. Many unfortunately are good at hiding it until it's too late. I've lost 3 friends to suicide, never had a clue.
Often, once a person decides to take their life, they reach a peace of mind. So up to that point, people who are close to them see them as happy, when in reality they’re only happy with their decision.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:25 pm

app87 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:55 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:29 am
GmanAppfan wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am
There is unreal pressure on these athletes to perform. I have a daughter that has played high level travel softball and plays on one of the best high school teams in the state. So many times with her and the other girls they are looked on only as players they are expected to make all the plays. Nothing is said when they make the play but let them make a mistake and they are quickly called on it. There is a fine line in youth sports in not babying them but not degrading them either. Life is tough a good tough coach is good for them but that same coach needs to build them up also. Bottom line we need to see them as more than athletes, they are our kids first and we need to be there for them. We need to build them up, correct them when they make a mistake, pat them on the back when they try, when they fail, and let them know its just a game.
My youngest boys played baseball and we did the travel thing for years. I also umpired for years and did several travel tournaments. The absolute main problem for most of these sports is outside the fence. While there was a lot of “fun” being had there was an equal or more amount of parent insanity. Part of my pre-game plate discussion at travel games was to point out that there were zero college or professional coaches or scouts in attendance (for 9-13ish) aged kids. The Yankees were not showing up to watch 10 year old Phenom (sarcasm) Johnny dazzle from the 55’ or so mound. I can’t mention enough insane things I heard from coaches and parents. I can’t imagine AAU basketball.
While I enjoyed watching my son play the AAU basketball circuit, I'm very happy it's over with. Prior to the pandemic, it was getting out of hand with parents actually going on the court to confront refs and players alike. I can't imagine what it's like now. My son (youngest) is now in college and is very happy the spring and summer months are open and not full of the drama.
Part of the issue is that every sport has become a year round endeavor with no down time. By the time many of these athletes get to college, they have been competing, training, and practicing constantly for 6+ years. And, sports in college have gone from seasonal to multi-seasonal. College Softball has a fall season, soccer has a spring season, etc. There's no balance, because everyone with aspirations has to plug into the system.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:20 am

Has it been confirmed that the pressure of sports is the cause of this unfortunate event, or are these just assumptions?

The schedule of a college athlete is very demanding, but people go through other stuff in their lives too.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:25 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:20 am
Has it been confirmed that the pressure of sports is the cause of this unfortunate event, or are these just assumptions?

The schedule of a college athlete is very demanding, but people go through other stuff in their lives too.
[/quote

I believe a lot of folks in a lot of places have been jumping to conclusions about this sad and unfortunate death all week.

Ms. Bernett played in all three of JMU's weekend softball games at Drexel in Philly and was the big star of the weekend. In Sunday's game alone, she went 4 for 4 at the plate with 1 HR, 2 runs scored and 3 RBIs. Her team swept the three-game series. Then suddenly sometime on Monday the JMU administration announced her sudden death and it was confirmed by the local sheriff. I didn't learn about it until mid-afternoon on Tuesday and I posted it shortly thereafter. I looked carefully but nowhere did I see a cause of death announced until yesterday (Thursday) when the VA medical examiner issued a statement. Yet even in this thread, a few of our resident "medical examiners" had formed conclusions w/o a smidgen of evidence two or three days ago. I suppose it's human nature to speculate. Sadly, the reasons for Ms. Bernett's decision may never come to light.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 9568865002
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am

JMU has canceled the remainder of their season I believe.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am
JMU has canceled the remainder of their season I believe.
That is correct.
https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... 5418bc6344

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:13 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:20 am

Lots of assumptions being made on here in a few different directions. This situation was a tragedy regardless of the situation. We'll probably never know the facts.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:56 pm

This is heartbreaking and alarming. I hope it’s merely a tragic coincidence and not a result of what some have speculated on here, but I suspect social media/pressure/the pandemic may have all contributed. Impossible to know for certain.

My boys are still pre-social media and AAU sports but I’m honestly dreading them wading into that world in the future. Right now their problems are simple and the goal is to have fun.

Hug your kids tight.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”