Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU softball player Lauren Bernett dies

asu66
School: Appalachian State

JMU softball player Lauren Bernett dies

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:43 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 537712002/

Sometimes, we just can't fathom reality. GodsPeace to Ms, Bernett's family and friends and to the JMU Nation.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Re: JMU softball player Lauren Bernett dies

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:59 pm

Just read that. It's so sad to see this.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:43 pm
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 537712002/

Sometimes, we just can't fathom reality. GodsPeace to Ms, Bernett's family and friends and to the JMU Nation.
What on earth are we doing to these student athletes that they get into this mindset? This is the third athlete to this school year to die by their own hand. Mental health awareness and counseling have rapidly become a necessary part of a school's athletic department. I pray that our athletes are not being put into unnecessary situations that lead to such a permanent ending to a temporary problem.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 am

I have not done research to prior to pandemic, however since pandemic, mental health concerns have been increasing across the board, whether athlete or not. Although there are a myriad of reasons, I believe social media and it's impact contributes to issues.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 am

My wife is an administrator at one of our high schools that, since it opened has been the crème of the crop annually for test scores and is one of the most desirable for parents. That being said over the past two years the number of fights and other student issues has greatly increased. We talk all of the time about the mental damage that has been inflicted on these kids. I think that some folks believed that we only needed to flip the switch back on and things would return to “normal”. I am by no means an expert or psychologically professional but I know what I see. We basically left kids to fend for themselves educationally for close to 2 years, many while laying in bed. Growth was stunted and social aspects were limited. I’m not saying that decisions were right or wrong and hindsight is always 20/20 but for myself even a year ago I felt that once we returned to some semblance of normalcy it would possibly take years to get kids back. The fights in school have increased and the general lack of respect by students is out of control. My wife said that kids who barely got through lower level math classes (mostly by cheating on line) are struggling mightily in the next level.

Her school has had a couple of kids take their lives over the past few years and just the other day a terrible fight took place after school. I said that I don’t know what is worse, the actual brutal fight or the fact that other kids watched, videoed and laughed at the violence.

GmanAppfan

Unread post by GmanAppfan » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am

There is unreal pressure on these athletes to perform. I have a daughter that has played high level travel softball and plays on one of the best high school teams in the state. So many times with her and the other girls they are looked on only as players they are expected to make all the plays. Nothing is said when they make the play but let them make a mistake and they are quickly called on it. There is a fine line in youth sports in not babying them but not degrading them either. Life is tough a good tough coach is good for them but that same coach needs to build them up also. Bottom line we need to see them as more than athletes, they are our kids first and we need to be there for them. We need to build them up, correct them when they make a mistake, pat them on the back when they try, when they fail, and let them know its just a game.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:29 am

GmanAppfan wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am
There is unreal pressure on these athletes to perform. I have a daughter that has played high level travel softball and plays on one of the best high school teams in the state. So many times with her and the other girls they are looked on only as players they are expected to make all the plays. Nothing is said when they make the play but let them make a mistake and they are quickly called on it. There is a fine line in youth sports in not babying them but not degrading them either. Life is tough a good tough coach is good for them but that same coach needs to build them up also. Bottom line we need to see them as more than athletes, they are our kids first and we need to be there for them. We need to build them up, correct them when they make a mistake, pat them on the back when they try, when they fail, and let them know its just a game.
My youngest boys played baseball and we did the travel thing for years. I also umpired for years and did several travel tournaments. The absolute main problem for most of these sports is outside the fence. While there was a lot of “fun” being had there was an equal or more amount of parent insanity. Part of my pre-game plate discussion at travel games was to point out that there were zero college or professional coaches or scouts in attendance (for 9-13ish) aged kids. The Yankees were not showing up to watch 10 year old Phenom (sarcasm) Johnny dazzle from the 55’ or so mound. I can’t mention enough insane things I heard from coaches and parents. I can’t imagine AAU basketball.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 pm

The lock down policies have proven detrimental to our youth. Period. Bottom line.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 pm
The lock down policies have proven detrimental to our youth. Period. Bottom line.
Not locking down would have ended up with more deaths in the general population

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:35 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 pm
Not locking down would have ended up with more deaths in the general population
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 pm

Yes….actual stats help.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:56 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 pm
Yes….actual stats help.
I’m only asking out of curiosity and am not trying to start another no win debate but what stats are available that show how many kids age 6-18 would have died had they gone to school? I’m struggling with how that hard and fast number would be accurate.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Both statements can be true but let’s not speculate why she took her life.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:03 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:56 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Yes….actual stats help.
I’m only asking out of curiosity and am not trying to start another no win debate but what stats are available that show how many kids age 6-18 would have died had they gone to school? I’m struggling with how that hard and fast number would be accurate.
Any concern for how many adults would have died?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:30 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:03 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Yes….actual stats help.
Nice play on the emotion card.

I don’t owe you an answer since I already gave my answer in an earlier post.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:54 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Yes….actual stats help.
What? I’m trying to understand what that has to do with the age group I specifically asked (kindly) for stats.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:56 pm

I pray for the family and friends of this young lady. Death shows no mercy when it comes a calling.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:08 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:54 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Yes….actual stats help.
What? I’m trying to understand what that has to do with the age group I specifically asked (kindly) for stats.
I replied to the wrong post and was not directly replying to your comment, though it would seem like I was doing just that.

Though to answer your question I assume the number of deaths could be done with modeling and forecasting, as was done with other aspects of Covid and other predictions such as the weather 10 days out. And it would come with a margin of error and such and not be a hard and fast number in that a specific value would not be given but instead a range would be given, even if mass media, to communicate with many without scientific training, communicated it as a hard and fast number that was immutable.

The correctness of that range of numbers would likely be forgotten about by most but we could look back and see how good the model was; beyond a few that would be following it closely. How many of us go back and check the weather report from 10 days ago? The weather prediction modelers are looking back I am sure and that allows them to tweak the model and make it more accurate going forward.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:21 pm

I blame social media more than covid....my kids are addicted and I probably am too. Heck I have never met appst94 nor do I even know what he looks like but he knows how to piss me off. 95% of his posts I agree with but it is crazy that an anonymous person can have an affect on my emotions. I am 52 and have some life experience...it has to be really hard on young people dealing with social media for all kind of reasons.

For the record, Appst94...I have a lot of respect for you posts.

app87

Unread post by app87 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:55 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:29 am
GmanAppfan wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am
My youngest boys played baseball and we did the travel thing for years. I also umpired for years and did several travel tournaments. The absolute main problem for most of these sports is outside the fence. While there was a lot of “fun” being had there was an equal or more amount of parent insanity. Part of my pre-game plate discussion at travel games was to point out that there were zero college or professional coaches or scouts in attendance (for 9-13ish) aged kids. The Yankees were not showing up to watch 10 year old Phenom (sarcasm) Johnny dazzle from the 55’ or so mound. I can’t mention enough insane things I heard from coaches and parents. I can’t imagine AAU basketball.
While I enjoyed watching my son play the AAU basketball circuit, I'm very happy it's over with. Prior to the pandemic, it was getting out of hand with parents actually going on the court to confront refs and players alike. I can't imagine what it's like now. My son (youngest) is now in college and is very happy the spring and summer months are open and not full of the drama.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”