Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

VMI to rejoin SoCon?

Kgfish
School: Appalachian State

Re: VMI to rejoin SoCon?

Unread post by Kgfish » Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Appsolutely wrote:I have given this a great deal of thought and would like to report that I don't give a fat rat's fanny who goes into or comes out of the SC. Screw Iamamoron and his "small privates."
+1 :lol:
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 pm

hapapp wrote:Seems very likely that VMI will be rejoining the SoCon.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/ ... re-by.html

"The Charlotte, N.C.-based league also has Mercer and East Tennessee State on its short list as possible replacements for three departing members."

The conference hasn't been based in Charlotte since 1985. :roll:
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 pm

A post from AGS:

Shall I guess how the meeting went down?

Iamarino: Okay, who does everyone want in the conference?

Western Carolina: Coastal Carolina!

Elon: I'd be cool with that.

Furman: No way.

Wofford: No.

The Citadel: Hell no, F that.

UTC: I want Kennesaw and ETSU.

Wofford: What? We gave you Samford and you want another travel buddy?

Furman: Yeah, what gives? Shouldn't we go with stronger academic institution like Mercer?

Western: Great, another private school who has never played football? That's just what we need.

UTC: Let me put it this way, Furple...give me ETSU or Kennesaw or I might just leave for the OVC.

The Citadel: I really don't give a s*** if you leave for the OVC. Give me a good reason why I should vote for Kennesaw or ETSU.

UTC: Okay bellhop, who's your ideal addition?

The Citadel: How about VMI?

Elon: You really want a geographic outlier and Big South cellar dweller in this conference?

Western: You're s***ting me, Cid.

Iamarino: Everyone STFU. How about this... we look at ETSU, VMI, and Mercer...will that make everyone happy?

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Western Carolina fans should be happy now, especially since they were so happy to see us and GSU gone. Now they won't have to worry about being the doormat of the SoCon - they have VMI for that. They can now aspire to second to last!

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Saint3333 wrote:ETSU and Mercer make sense. VMI is Citadel shoving a terrible athletic program down the other members' throat.

Why not take CCU instead?

Losing Marshall was masked by adding GSU a couple years before they left. These three adds will maybe keep basketball where it currently is and kill football. The SoCon will be the 4th best FCS conference at best after this.

What's the latest word on Davidson?

As to shoving a bad program down the throats, I wonder what kind of football program we would have if our alma mater had only 14.5 hundred male students? In my opinion, they need to be in Div 2 or such.
Last edited by JCline0429 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Kgfish wrote:
Appsolutely wrote:I have given this a great deal of thought and would like to report that I don't give a fat rat's fanny who goes into or comes out of the SC. Screw Iamamoron and his "small privates."

Who wants to see the conference we were proud members of so long, fall into manure? I don't. I personally hope they come out even better than in recent years. There IS such a thing as legacy.
a.k.a JC0429

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 am

JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

Who wants to see the conference we were proud members of so long, fall into manure? I don't. I personally hope they come out even better than in recent years. There IS such a thing as legacy.
Too, I see NewApp gave you a rep point!
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 pm

It is hilarious to me, after all the Socon people proclaiming on AGS that the Socon wouldnt miss a beat without App and GSU, that they had schools clamoring for invites, and that the Socon had ALWAYS reloaded and would once again, that the mood on the Socon members' boards is distinctly morose.

Besides a handful of Citadel and Cantamount fans, it appears nobody is happy. A Samford poster is even claiming they got left holding the bag. Gone are those starry eyed theories of pulling in W&M, Richmond, and JMU, replaced by the "maybes" of 3 schools that basically have no football program. And yes, Im aware Mercer has a non schollie team, and Im aware VMI claims to be FCS.

Beautiful drop of the ball by the Socon, yet not unexpected. :roll:

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I DON'T CARE!

George Washington

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 am

Kgfish wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I DON'T CARE!

Some of us do. I've always lived by the motto, "wherever you go, leave the places better than when you arrived." That was one of my Dad's addages.
a.k.a JC0429

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue May 07, 2013 7:14 am

I'm fine leaving the conference on good terms, but those morons (and commissioners) who espouse that the conference will be as good or better without us, completely disregard our major contributions to the conference for many years. It's sour grapes to the nth degree. Whether we were winning national championships or upending a fifth-ranked FBS team, Coach Moore always gave props to the SoCon. We did MUCH more for the SoCon than they did for us. I especially didn't like how the commissioner disrespected, and basically taunted us when we were not invited by CUSA.

One of my favorite mottos came from the group Boston- "Don't Look Back."

8-)

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 am

MAD Doctor wrote:I'm fine leaving the conference on good terms, but those morons (and commissioners) who espouse that the conference will be as good or better without us, completely disregard our major contributions to the conference for many years. It's sour grapes to the nth degree. Whether we were winning national championships or upending a fifth-ranked FBS team, Coach Moore always gave props to the SoCon. We did MUCH more for the SoCon than they did for us. I especially didn't like how the commissioner disrespected, and basically taunted us when we were not invited by CUSA.

One of my favorite mottos came from the group Boston- "Don't Look Back."

8-)

Regardless who did the most for whom, they gave us our start and we wouldn't be where we are today without them. Just my opinion.
a.k.a JC0429

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am

JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I DON'T CARE!

Some of us do. I've always lived by the motto, "wherever you go, leave the places better than when you arrived." That was one of my Dad's addages.
We have done everything we could to make the SoCon as good as possible. It's not up to us to determine where it goes from here. Do you think anyone in the ACC or SEC cares what the SoCon looks like today?
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 am

And why should they? They're a full level up+. I'm referring to the present SoCon and FCS fans as well as exited members.
a.k.a JC0429

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am

JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I DON'T CARE!

In some contexts that's a great policy, but as far as conference realignment goes, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I DON'T CARE!

So they gave us a start. It isn't a one way street. I think it's safe to say ASU has done its part in making the SoCon a FAR better place than it was when we joined. All the moaning and crying over leaving has got to stop. Time to get over it and move on.

George Washington

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 am

I don't think anyone here is moaning and groaning about leaving. My point at some point in this thread was that I wished the SoCon well and I hope that things work out for them. I'm ecstatic about our move but I hold no ill will towards the SoCon. I was a student at ASU when we joined the SoCon and I recall the excitement that everyone felt when we joined. It felt like much like it does now as we take another step forward with our joining the FBS ranks.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 am

hapapp wrote:I don't think anyone here is moaning and groaning about leaving.
UUUHHHHH.....

There's this guy named veg......He makes memes.....

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 am

Ok...there is one. ;)

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 am

I was never a fan of the Socon, and never will be. If or when I ever rooted for them, it was in the interest of App. That is all.

I have my preferences of who I'd like in the Socon to do well, and who I would like to founder (cough cough Elon,) but if the whole ship went down I wouldnt shed a tear.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”