Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ticketing - Sponsorships - Concessions

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Ticketing - Sponsorships - Concessions

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:33 pm

A couple of interesting things about JMU football announcement:

-They have CarMax as the sponsor of the 2022 Football Season

-They offer a "concessions package" with season ticket sales

-They have a family of 4 season ticket package with parking and concessions for under $450.

"The 2022 JMU football season is presented by Carmax. Season tickets for JMU's inaugural campaign of its FBS transition are on sale now both for renewals and new season ticket purchasers with a May 15 priority deadline. Season tickets offer the best seat options and value for patrons and include one complimentary parking pass. Parking can be upgraded by donating to the JMU Duke Club. Premium seating options are available in the club level and include hospitality and other amenities. The JMU Dining Services Family Plan offers an affordable option for families to purchase four season tickets with parking and concession vouchers for $432. JMU uses electronic ticketing, which allows guests to manage and share tickets easily from any connected device."

AppSt94

Re: Ticketing - Sponsorships - Concessions

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 am

I think that our concessions are operated by a third party and not App State Food Services.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:42 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 am
I think that our concessions are operated by a third party and not App State Food Services.
They used to be a third party, but I know at least a few years ago (maybe 2015-2016ish??) it changed to being in-house unless it changed back. I do know I saw the Director of Campus Dining working concessions at the most recent football season for what it's worth.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:44 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:33 pm
Season tickets offer the best seat options and value for patrons and include one complimentary parking pass. Parking can be upgraded by donating to the JMU Duke Club. Premium seating options are available in the club level and include hospitality and other amenities. The JMU Dining Services Family Plan offers an affordable option for families to purchase four season tickets with parking and concession vouchers for $432. JMU uses electronic ticketing, which allows guests to manage and share tickets easily from any connected device."
Imagine a world where we could have a complimentary parking pass with season tickets :lol: . Seriously though, this is an insanely good deal and we don't come anywhere close to offering this amount of accessibility for an equivalent experience.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:56 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:42 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 am
They used to be a third party, but I know at least a few years ago (maybe 2015-2016ish??) it changed to being in-house unless it changed back. I do know I saw the Director of Campus Dining working concessions at the most recent football season for what it's worth.
Admittedly, I don’t know for sure who handles it. If I am remembering correctly, last years debacle at the concessionaire were laid at the feet of staffing, which I believed was a third party. Could be wrong. I sit in the NEZ and we didn’t experience the same issues. Of course catering to less than 1000 is bound to go smoother than catering to 20k plus.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:57 am

Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:44 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Season tickets offer the best seat options and value for patrons and include one complimentary parking pass. Parking can be upgraded by donating to the JMU Duke Club. Premium seating options are available in the club level and include hospitality and other amenities. The JMU Dining Services Family Plan offers an affordable option for families to purchase four season tickets with parking and concession vouchers for $432. JMU uses electronic ticketing, which allows guests to manage and share tickets easily from any connected device."
Imagine a world where we could have a complimentary parking pass with season tickets :lol: . Seriously though, this is an insanely good deal and we don't come anywhere close to offering this amount of accessibility for an equivalent experience.
I could see this happening at App once the 105 project is done.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:28 pm

What's JMU's attendance numbers?

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing the return of the mini season ticket package.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:57 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Not unless we force students to go home for the weekend.
105 is the new State Farm lot and will be full with all the cars of the dorm students that were kicked off campus.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:08 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
105 is the new State Farm lot and will be full with all the cars of the dorm students that were kicked off campus.
Ah. I was unaware that was the plan for student parking on game days.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:08 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Ah. I was unaware that was the plan for student parking on game days.
105 if the new "Freshman" Lot that State Farm was for years. There is also Gen Pub parking for games.
State Farm is sort of an overflow105, commuter, and Health Sciences parking lot now that was reduced in size due to the Grounds shop moving to the lot when the County Rec Center was built.
The last on campus student lots for FBall were/are South and Hill Street. Hill Street was taken a couple of years ago for Handicap Parking (arn't we accommodating). South has limited paved spaces and the gravel lot is also the supply yard for on campus building projects and equipment truck parking and can be hard to get out of in 4x4 at times.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:04 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:28 pm
They averaged around 22,000 this past season. Previous seasons they were averaging closer to 20,000.

They'll probably stay around that average when you account for week day games. Of course when App and Marshall come to town it will boost those numbers. They've had local newspaper articles in the past about JMU trying to promote attendance and that was during FCS days. This ticketing/concessions deal isn't a surprise to me.

Side note, they're not against raising student fees to help cover expenses and to pay back revenue bonds used for facilities.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:17 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:04 pm
mike87 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:28 pm
They averaged around 22,000 this past season. Previous seasons they were averaging closer to 20,000.

They'll probably stay around that average when you account for week day games. Of course when App and Marshall come to town it will boost those numbers. They've had local newspaper articles in the past about JMU trying to promote attendance and that was during FCS days. This ticketing/concessions deal isn't a surprise to me.

Side note, they're not against raising student fees to help cover expenses and to pay back revenue bonds used for facilities.
I was thinking when you are selling out, you don't cut deals. But they are pretty close to selling out. Guess they are just nice guys

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:17 pm

And 2017 I found an article saying they were expected to sell a little over 7,000 season ticket packages. It appears that a large number of their total seats are the chair back premium seats that require big dollar season ticket/donation numbers. It's not out of the realm the possibility they make more in ticket sales than we do.

Always been surprised we haven't added more gold back seats I know it would eliminate the total number of capacity but with the extra revenue per premium seat I would think it would make more money than the volume.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:04 pm

JMU’s complimentary parking pass is for one lot, all other lots require donation to Duke club.
Otherwise this is similar to what APP does.

Also noticed that jmu students have to reserve tickets from limited number available (if they do not use ticket two times in one season - they lose privileges for rest of season).
Bring Your A Game!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:18 am

Re: concessions...here's a simple solution: add vending machines along the concourses for water, soft drinks, etc. Why?

1. Helps with staffing issues due to labor shortages
2. App can still charge premium prices
3. Disperses lines/crowds in the concourses
4. Fans return to the stands quickly

A lot of us stand in concessions lines to buy only water/soft drinks. I think this would help immensely.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:30 am

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:18 am
Re: concessions...here's a simple solution: add vending machines along the concourses for water, soft drinks, etc. Why?

1. Helps with staffing issues due to labor shortages
2. App can still charge premium prices
3. Disperses lines/crowds in the concourses
4. Fans return to the stands quickly

A lot of us stand in concessions lines to buy only water/soft drinks. I think this would help immensely.
There are two vending machines at the end of the East Concourse, closest to Miller Hill

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:21 pm

I do like the vending machine idea. Not sure of how many currently set up around the stadium. If there are the only two that are mention above, definitely could use more all around the stadium. Allows keeping the markup on the drinks without the added employee cost.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:21 pm

The real answer to concessions is to just bring in a professional to organize it. Way too much time is taken with each customer. I understand credit card sales slow thing down some but disorganization is the problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”