Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

N Dakota St

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: N Dakota St

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:24 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:16 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:54 pm
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:53 am
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:45 pm

Charlotte is "competing" at the FBS with a 15,000 seat stadium, but it can be expanded, and that expansion could be done very cheap it they wanted to go that route to get the seats quick and/or cheap. The Fargodome handles 18,700, which is over the 15,000 for FBS but not by much and not any easy way to expand. It would start from scratch and that would be a lot of money build from scratch. The wikipedia page mentions getting to 25,000 with major changes and that is workable but again comes at a big cost.
As to Charlotte , their stadium is pretty much land locked. If I recall correctly there are buildings in relatively close proximity on three or four sides. No place much to park except in decks and the tailgaters on here despise that..
I am not sure if you have been to their stadium but I thought it was very nice with plenty of room to walk around on the concourse on the three sides. There seems to be plenty of room to add seats. They could do something on the cheap with temp stands like we did for some years in our NEZ or more permanent stands but still cheaper aluminum or go all out and build nice concrete seats. There is likely more space to get to 40,000 at Charlotte and have room to get to concessions and bathrooms than we have space for at KBS to be honest.

Now the question for Charlotte is if they will need more than 20,000 seats with the program they have and everything else they have to compete against in Charlotte for entertainment dollars. App State could use 35,000-40,000 at some point in the future as the university grows and students continue to come out AND we win. But that is a few years away at best. The entertainment competition in Charlotte is very much a model where there are plenty of major league cities that don't do a great job of supporting their university athletic programs. Their winning AND the Panthers continuing to perform poorly might be the best thing for their football team at least for attendance.

But they have space for expansion. They are not idiots down there to completely shut themselves out of some expansion, and the AAC is going to likely force the issue with something happening in a couple years. It is not going to be a good look for a P6 (sic) to have a school that barely meets minimum attendance as the stadium capacity.
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Richardson_Stadium the stadium can be expanded to 40,000 without any problems doing so. I do not think that is as easy for Appalachian to do so without major renovation and cost.
I have heard that 40,000 number before as well. I mention 20,000 above due to the fact that with Charlotte hitting 15,000 in attendance getting to 20,000 is both realistic and could be done quickly and might be needed in a few years.

I think they could be a great case study for designed scarcity to drive up prices for those that really follow Charlotte athletics versus lost revenue from not having enough supply to meet demand and therefore they leave money on the table. They will need extra seats as they did for us for ECU, especially if ECU keeps at it with improving their own football. I bet more ECU fans would had showed up against us if they had been coming off multiple 10+ win seasons.
The stadium at Charlotte was designed for expansion and has plenty of room, the concourse are large because they will serve to hold beams for "extra decks". Max design is in the 40s, but its been some years since I recall seeing the plans.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:43 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:24 pm
AppWyo wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:53 am

As to Charlotte , their stadium is pretty much land locked. If I recall correctly there are buildings in relatively close proximity on three or four sides. No place much to park except in decks and the tailgaters on here despise that..
I am not sure if you have been to their stadium but I thought it was very nice with plenty of room to walk around on the concourse on the three sides. There seems to be plenty of room to add seats. They could do something on the cheap with temp stands like we did for some years in our NEZ or more permanent stands but still cheaper aluminum or go all out and build nice concrete seats. There is likely more space to get to 40,000 at Charlotte and have room to get to concessions and bathrooms than we have space for at KBS to be honest.

Now the question for Charlotte is if they will need more than 20,000 seats with the program they have and everything else they have to compete against in Charlotte for entertainment dollars. App State could use 35,000-40,000 at some point in the future as the university grows and students continue to come out AND we win. But that is a few years away at best. The entertainment competition in Charlotte is very much a model where there are plenty of major league cities that don't do a great job of supporting their university athletic programs. Their winning AND the Panthers continuing to perform poorly might be the best thing for their football team at least for attendance.

But they have space for expansion. They are not idiots down there to completely shut themselves out of some expansion, and the AAC is going to likely force the issue with something happening in a couple years. It is not going to be a good look for a P6 (sic) to have a school that barely meets minimum attendance as the stadium capacity.
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Richardson_Stadium the stadium can be expanded to 40,000 without any problems doing so. I do not think that is as easy for Appalachian to do so without major renovation and cost.
I have heard that 40,000 number before as well. I mention 20,000 above due to the fact that with Charlotte hitting 15,000 in attendance getting to 20,000 is both realistic and could be done quickly and might be needed in a few years.

I think they could be a great case study for designed scarcity to drive up prices for those that really follow Charlotte athletics versus lost revenue from not having enough supply to meet demand and therefore they leave money on the table. They will need extra seats as they did for us for ECU, especially if ECU keeps at it with improving their own football. I bet more ECU fans would had showed up against us if they had been coming off multiple 10+ win seasons.
The stadium at Charlotte was designed for expansion and has plenty of room, the concourse are large because they will serve to hold beams for "extra decks". Max design is in the 40s, but its been some years since I recall seeing the plans.
They obviously have no need to expand now but wonder if they ever will? Could they in 15-20 years?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:56 pm

FCS is nowhere near as as strong as it was 15-20 years ago. The number of championship level programs that have left seem to make that point without much question. Some of the old contenders have also declined (Furman, UNI, Montana) from what they once were. It has basically been the NDSU and JMU show with occasional appearances by SF Austin, and a couple of others. The SoCon is a shadow of its former self. The exit of App and GS seem to have been the final straw.

All that said, NDSU would have been competing for championships against the best of any era. They are legitimately good. I'm not saying they would have beaten App or GS in our FCS prime, but it would have been a heck of a game (if they had been FCS at that time).

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:24 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:43 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

They obviously have no need to expand now but wonder if they ever will? Could they in 15-20 years?
The AAC knew what they were getting with Charlotte and I would be very surprised if Charlotte does not at least get to 20,000, even if not needed just to make the AAC happy. The P6 argument is all but gone now, but if they want to keep that up, they need more than bare minimum stadiums. Part of their argument for P6 is winning, but also TV viewership, AND in game attendance.

I think the question is the type of expansion. They have two years before the move more than likely so it could be 3 or 4 years to see anything to completion if done to be truly permanent.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:28 pm

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:24 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

The AAC knew what they were getting with Charlotte and I would be very surprised if Charlotte does not at least get to 20,000, even if not needed just to make the AAC happy. The P6 argument is all but gone now, but if they want to keep that up, they need more than bare minimum stadiums. Part of their argument for P6 is winning, but also TV viewership, AND in game attendance.

I think the question is the type of expansion. They have two years before the move more than likely so it could be 3 or 4 years to see anything to completion if done to be truly permanent.
That makes sense but I wonder if you add 5-10k seats with no increased attendance to have a bigger but empty looking stadium? I would think they need to see attendance increases or else the additional seats don't look good on TV.

appalum2003

Unread post by appalum2003 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:35 pm

The amount of uncc-licking in this thread is really concerning.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:46 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:35 pm
The amount of uncc-licking in this thread is really concerning.
Just discussion of a nearby school and stating obvious facts such as their stadium is small and built for expansion. We likely will be discussing JMU and Marshall stadiums soon enough.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:53 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:28 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

That makes sense but I wonder if you add 5-10k seats with no increased attendance to have a bigger but empty looking stadium? I would think they need to see attendance increases or else the additional seats don't look good on TV.
We seriously overrate what "it looks like on TV." Give a school the TV money and make it enough money and they will play in front a a completely empty stadium if ESPN wants that. Charlotte will not waste money on an expansion that is not needed but they could claim getting to 25,000 is neededand if they hit 18,000 to 20,000 they will and can claim it is a justified expense. And they would be right. With our hill we can fit in more than seats available. They don't have that option so would be better served with having a few spare seats for the occasional bigger crowd. I do think they will see some attendance growth joining the AAC if only from ECU and they will eventually get UNC-CH or NCSU at home. They can claim the need for 10,000 more seats not for an average game but for the one big game they have every other year with ECU at home.

If the AAC made stadium expansion part of the deal to have them join the AAC, at that had to be some of the discussion, then it will happen I am sure.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:46 am

Regarding the Charlotte expansion, I would be surprised if they pay the money to expand and only go to 20K. If they are going to expand, I think they go to 25K to take advantage of economies of scale (for the construction). There are many on this board who know MUCH more about construction than I do, so feel free to jump in. Just seems to me that doing the expansion in 5K increments would be much more costly. They already have endzone seating on one end and a building on the other, so the logical expansion would involve adding a deck to at least one side. I would be surprised if they add a deck to one side and not the other.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:17 am

Why is this thread under App State Football?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:17 am
Moved.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:54 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:17 am
Moved.
Why is this thread titled NDSU and we’re discussing Chalett. 😄

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:11 pm

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:53 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

We seriously overrate what "it looks like on TV." Give a school the TV money and make it enough money and they will play in front a a completely empty stadium if ESPN wants that. Charlotte will not waste money on an expansion that is not needed but they could claim getting to 25,000 is neededand if they hit 18,000 to 20,000 they will and can claim it is a justified expense. And they would be right. With our hill we can fit in more than seats available. They don't have that option so would be better served with having a few spare seats for the occasional bigger crowd. I do think they will see some attendance growth joining the AAC if only from ECU and they will eventually get UNC-CH or NCSU at home. They can claim the need for 10,000 more seats not for an average game but for the one big game they have every other year with ECU at home.

If the AAC made stadium expansion part of the deal to have them join the AAC, at that had to be some of the discussion, then it will happen I am sure.
No doubt about that but I would just think if they aren't anywhere close that it would look bad and why spend the money if it is not even close. Their best ever attendance is 19k and they only had 13,211 when they hosted Marshall, 16k against Rice, and 13k against FAU in 2021. They need to improve their attendance for sure.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:34 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:11 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

No doubt about that but I would just think if they aren't anywhere close that it would look bad and why spend the money if it is not even close. Their best ever attendance is 19k and they only had 13,211 when they hosted Marshall, 16k against Rice, and 13k against FAU in 2021. They need to improve their attendance for sure.
Winning will increase their attendance.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:00 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:11 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:

Winning will increase their attendance.
It definitely would but they have yet to be a consistent winner. We will see if they can do it. They certainly have potential if it were to happen. AAC clearly looked at potential with their additions but only a couple of them have shown to be G5 powers on the field so far.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:13 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:56 pm
FCS is nowhere near as as strong as it was 15-20 years ago. The number of championship level programs that have left seem to make that point without much question. Some of the old contenders have also declined (Furman, UNI, Montana) from what they once were. It has basically been the NDSU and JMU show with occasional appearances by SF Austin, and a couple of others. The SoCon is a shadow of its former self. The exit of App and GS seem to have been the final straw.

All that said, NDSU would have been competing for championships against the best of any era. They are legitimately good. I'm not saying they would have beaten App or GS in our FCS prime, but it would have been a heck of a game (if they had been FCS at that time).
What little strength was left to challenge NDSU keeps draining away. NDSU won 9 of the last 11 FCS titles. The only 2 years they didn't win were won by JMU and Sam Houston State, both now FBS bound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”