Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NIU gets Orange Bowl Berth

newtoasu

NIU gets Orange Bowl Berth

Unread post by newtoasu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

MAC conference champion Northern Illinois will get a BCS bowl this year a cording to ESPN. (I can't get my iPhone to copy the link to he story).

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: NIU gets Orange Bowl Berth

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:49 pm

newtoasu wrote:MAC conference champion Northern Illinois will get a BCS bowl this year a cording to ESPN. (I can't get my iPhone to copy the link to he story).
It's still speculation at this point. I just heard two different BC$-ologists on the radio project that NIU will edge UCLA for the 16th ranking in the final BC$ standings by thousandths of a point. They both said it could change if the human polls change in any way. They speculated that some pollsters may alter their normal voting patterns depending on whether or not they want NIU in a BC$ bowl. Final BC$ standings are released at 8:00 or 8:30.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Yes, it is still speculation. The ESPN article said they would end up at 15. (The 15th ranking was from a Sports Illustrated source) Here is he link:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8702724

Unfortunately their coach will not go to the Orange Bowl since NCSU just hired him away.

kgblade

Unread post by kgblade » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:59 pm

NIU coach, now state coach, just gave up his only opportunity to coach a BCS game. Wow. Gonna regret that call.

yosef03

Unread post by yosef03 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:09 pm

kgblade wrote:NIU coach, now state coach, just gave up his only opportunity to coach a BCS game. Wow. Gonna regret that call.
Yep, he will. He'll be fired in 3 years just like the rest of their coaches.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:49 pm

NIU getting into the Orange Bowl allowed Louisiana Tech to screw themselves out of a bowl game this year.

La Tech was 9-3 and had a standing offer from the Independence Bowl to play Louisiana Monroe. However, La Tech was expecting to get a Liberty Bowl invitation and told the Independence Bowl to wait, which they did for a while. After a little time the Independence Bowl called La Tech and said they need their decision ASAP and gave them a set deadline. When the deadline passed, the Independence Bowl invited Ohio.

Meanwhile, when NIU got the Orange Bowl invitation, it pushed OU back to the non-BCS bowls, which rippled down to Iowa State filling La Tech's Liberty bowl. Basically LaTech was still standing when the music stopped.

Man, you think the Cobb haters are bad here, you should see the AD haters at La Tech where they are probably about to lose their coach to Cal!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -bowl-game

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:51 pm

NIU is offering free Orange Bowl tickets to their students:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-foot ... wl-tickets

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 pm

newtoasu wrote:NIU getting into the Orange Bowl allowed Louisiana Tech to screw themselves out of a bowl game this year.

La Tech was 9-3 and had a standing offer from the Independence Bowl to play Louisiana Monroe. However, La Tech was expecting to get a Liberty Bowl invitation and told the Independence Bowl to wait, which they did for a while. After a little time the Independence Bowl called La Tech and said they need their decision ASAP and gave them a set deadline. When the deadline passed, the Independence Bowl invited Ohio.

Meanwhile, when NIU got the Orange Bowl invitation, it pushed OU back to the non-BCS bowls, which rippled down to Iowa State filling La Tech's Liberty bowl. Basically LaTech was still standing when the music stopped.

Man, you think the Cobb haters are bad here, you should see the AD haters at La Tech where they are probably about to lose their coach to Cal!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -bowl-game
I had just noticed that a 9-3 team was not going bowling while several 6-6, and one 6-7 team were. I was just getting ready to comment, but it looks like a self-inflicted wound by La. Tech. Also noticed that Middle Tennessee St. was the only other bowl-eligible team not selected.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:17 pm

appst89 wrote:I was just getting ready to comment, but it looks like a self-inflicted wound by La. Tech.
And Karl Malone is pissed. :lol: As every Tech alum/fan should be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”