NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:41 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:59 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am
ericsaid wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:14 pm
There will likely be contracts associated with NIL with stipulations and provisos regarding expectations around the payment. They will likely entail, class attendance, grade thresholds and integrity clauses.
This isn’t NIL. It’s payment directly from the school.
Those payments are not required. So, the school can still do NIL deals with whatever monies they decide to allocate. There is no requirement that a school spend $20M. The school still decides how those monies will be allocated and to whom. Its unclear at this point what impact Title IX will have but nothing prevents schools from putting stipulations on the monies shared with athletes.
This brings up a good point. If they are employees, contract or direct hire, they don’t work for App. They work for the State of North Carolina. So is there a sliding scale that determines compensation? How does the State pay a LB more at a Carolina than at a NCA&T?
You can make that argument, but do you really thing the BoG will see it that way? This is the UNC system, after all, which shuns most all academic expansion of App State in favor of just creeping UNC slowly down I-40/85. NC State doesn’t even get the same preferential treatment as UNC and they have had the better athletics programs, as well as more in demand academic programs, the past 10 to 15 years.

ECU has been fortunate enough to have a Medical School which has a ton of coverage east of Greenville. I currently reside in Edenton and ECU Health has expanded out here and I wish they would expand out to Elizabeth City because their service is much, much better than what is currently in place there.

That aside (you know I like to ramble, it’s my ADHD, I’ve been this way since 17), UNC will get whatever they ask for and it will be buried in some circular logic that is easily refutable yet will be rife with plausible deniability and some gaslighting of App. There may even be threats to the University about other funding.


I understand the school won’t have to pay athletes, but if programs in the conference and FBS are doing so, App is going to have to find a way. Winning on culture has sustained App thus far, and Shawn Clark has been a huge part of that continued culture. His sales pitch, and commitment, seems to outweigh the potential negatives due to lack of NIL relative to others. But how long does that last? How many Joey’s, Peoples, Kaiden Robinson’s, Parker’s, Nate Noel’s are there going to be in five years?

This next generation of kids will have been brought up with the expectation of payment. They won’t see it as a perk but will rather see it as being mandatory. That’s the question that will be answered. As of now, App has a great core of young men who will be successful in life after football, while also being high performers on the field. It’s going to continue to be harder to meet the burden of both as more money is pumped in all around us.
Compensation as an employee comes from the state budget. The thoughts of the BoG are irrelevant. If they are employees, regardless of which school they “work” for, we are going to be footing the bill. I don’t see them becoming employees because of the backlash from citizens. There are far more non football fans in the country than there are football fans.

bcoach
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1283 times
Been thanked: 1406 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:56 pm

Was a bad idea, is a bad idea, will be a bad idea. We truly are a nation of shortsighted thinkers. How is possible that people did not see this coming. I am 100% serious, how is it possible.

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:59 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:56 pm
Was a bad idea, is a bad idea, will be a bad idea. We truly are a nation of shortsighted thinkers. How is possible that people did not see this coming. I am 100% serious, how is it possible.
Completely agree.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1318 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:56 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:56 pm
Was a bad idea, is a bad idea, will be a bad idea. We truly are a nation of shortsighted thinkers. How is possible that people did not see this coming. I am 100% serious, how is it possible.
The money was pouring in. I had a boss one time who said everything’s funny with a pocket full of money.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1318 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:41 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:59 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am
ericsaid wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:47 am


This isn’t NIL. It’s payment directly from the school.
Those payments are not required. So, the school can still do NIL deals with whatever monies they decide to allocate. There is no requirement that a school spend $20M. The school still decides how those monies will be allocated and to whom. Its unclear at this point what impact Title IX will have but nothing prevents schools from putting stipulations on the monies shared with athletes.
This brings up a good point. If they are employees, contract or direct hire, they don’t work for App. They work for the State of North Carolina. So is there a sliding scale that determines compensation? How does the State pay a LB more at a Carolina than at a NCA&T?
You can make that argument, but do you really thing the BoG will see it that way? This is the UNC system, after all, which shuns most all academic expansion of App State in favor of just creeping UNC slowly down I-40/85. NC State doesn’t even get the same preferential treatment as UNC and they have had the better athletics programs, as well as more in demand academic programs, the past 10 to 15 years.

ECU has been fortunate enough to have a Medical School which has a ton of coverage east of Greenville. I currently reside in Edenton and ECU Health has expanded out here and I wish they would expand out to Elizabeth City because their service is much, much better than what is currently in place there.

That aside (you know I like to ramble, it’s my ADHD, I’ve been this way since 17), UNC will get whatever they ask for and it will be buried in some circular logic that is easily refutable yet will be rife with plausible deniability and some gaslighting of App. There may even be threats to the University about other funding.


I understand the school won’t have to pay athletes, but if programs in the conference and FBS are doing so, App is going to have to find a way. Winning on culture has sustained App thus far, and Shawn Clark has been a huge part of that continued culture. His sales pitch, and commitment, seems to outweigh the potential negatives due to lack of NIL relative to others. But how long does that last? How many Joey’s, Peoples, Kaiden Robinson’s, Parker’s, Nate Noel’s are there going to be in five years?

This next generation of kids will have been brought up with the expectation of payment. They won’t see it as a perk but will rather see it as being mandatory. That’s the question that will be answered. As of now, App has a great core of young men who will be successful in life after football, while also being high performers on the field. It’s going to continue to be harder to meet the burden of both as more money is pumped in all around us.
Compensation as an employee comes from the state budget. The thoughts of the BoG are irrelevant. If they are employees, regardless of which school they “work” for, we are going to be footing the bill. I don’t see them becoming employees because of the backlash from citizens. There are far more non football fans in the country than there are football fans.
The city of Charlotte just allocated $650,000,000 in tax dollars to renovate BOA stadium. Not saying I like it but we are a society that will pay for entertainment. What we won’t pay for is K12 teachers, police officers and firefighters.

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:41 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:59 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am


Those payments are not required. So, the school can still do NIL deals with whatever monies they decide to allocate. There is no requirement that a school spend $20M. The school still decides how those monies will be allocated and to whom. Its unclear at this point what impact Title IX will have but nothing prevents schools from putting stipulations on the monies shared with athletes.
This brings up a good point. If they are employees, contract or direct hire, they don’t work for App. They work for the State of North Carolina. So is there a sliding scale that determines compensation? How does the State pay a LB more at a Carolina than at a NCA&T?
You can make that argument, but do you really thing the BoG will see it that way? This is the UNC system, after all, which shuns most all academic expansion of App State in favor of just creeping UNC slowly down I-40/85. NC State doesn’t even get the same preferential treatment as UNC and they have had the better athletics programs, as well as more in demand academic programs, the past 10 to 15 years.

ECU has been fortunate enough to have a Medical School which has a ton of coverage east of Greenville. I currently reside in Edenton and ECU Health has expanded out here and I wish they would expand out to Elizabeth City because their service is much, much better than what is currently in place there.

That aside (you know I like to ramble, it’s my ADHD, I’ve been this way since 17), UNC will get whatever they ask for and it will be buried in some circular logic that is easily refutable yet will be rife with plausible deniability and some gaslighting of App. There may even be threats to the University about other funding.


I understand the school won’t have to pay athletes, but if programs in the conference and FBS are doing so, App is going to have to find a way. Winning on culture has sustained App thus far, and Shawn Clark has been a huge part of that continued culture. His sales pitch, and commitment, seems to outweigh the potential negatives due to lack of NIL relative to others. But how long does that last? How many Joey’s, Peoples, Kaiden Robinson’s, Parker’s, Nate Noel’s are there going to be in five years?

This next generation of kids will have been brought up with the expectation of payment. They won’t see it as a perk but will rather see it as being mandatory. That’s the question that will be answered. As of now, App has a great core of young men who will be successful in life after football, while also being high performers on the field. It’s going to continue to be harder to meet the burden of both as more money is pumped in all around us.
Compensation as an employee comes from the state budget. The thoughts of the BoG are irrelevant. If they are employees, regardless of which school they “work” for, we are going to be footing the bill. I don’t see them becoming employees because of the backlash from citizens. There are far more non football fans in the country than there are football fans.
The city of Charlotte just allocated $650,000,000 in tax dollars to renovate BOA stadium. Not saying I like it but we are a society that will pay for entertainment. What we won’t pay for is K12 teachers, police officers and firefighters.
True. But the city can justify that to citizens in terms of recouping the investment through tourism revenue. Not saying that it justifies the upfront cost, but there is ROI.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1318 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:43 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:41 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:59 am


This brings up a good point. If they are employees, contract or direct hire, they don’t work for App. They work for the State of North Carolina. So is there a sliding scale that determines compensation? How does the State pay a LB more at a Carolina than at a NCA&T?
You can make that argument, but do you really thing the BoG will see it that way? This is the UNC system, after all, which shuns most all academic expansion of App State in favor of just creeping UNC slowly down I-40/85. NC State doesn’t even get the same preferential treatment as UNC and they have had the better athletics programs, as well as more in demand academic programs, the past 10 to 15 years.

ECU has been fortunate enough to have a Medical School which has a ton of coverage east of Greenville. I currently reside in Edenton and ECU Health has expanded out here and I wish they would expand out to Elizabeth City because their service is much, much better than what is currently in place there.

That aside (you know I like to ramble, it’s my ADHD, I’ve been this way since 17), UNC will get whatever they ask for and it will be buried in some circular logic that is easily refutable yet will be rife with plausible deniability and some gaslighting of App. There may even be threats to the University about other funding.


I understand the school won’t have to pay athletes, but if programs in the conference and FBS are doing so, App is going to have to find a way. Winning on culture has sustained App thus far, and Shawn Clark has been a huge part of that continued culture. His sales pitch, and commitment, seems to outweigh the potential negatives due to lack of NIL relative to others. But how long does that last? How many Joey’s, Peoples, Kaiden Robinson’s, Parker’s, Nate Noel’s are there going to be in five years?

This next generation of kids will have been brought up with the expectation of payment. They won’t see it as a perk but will rather see it as being mandatory. That’s the question that will be answered. As of now, App has a great core of young men who will be successful in life after football, while also being high performers on the field. It’s going to continue to be harder to meet the burden of both as more money is pumped in all around us.
Compensation as an employee comes from the state budget. The thoughts of the BoG are irrelevant. If they are employees, regardless of which school they “work” for, we are going to be footing the bill. I don’t see them becoming employees because of the backlash from citizens. There are far more non football fans in the country than there are football fans.
The city of Charlotte just allocated $650,000,000 in tax dollars to renovate BOA stadium. Not saying I like it but we are a society that will pay for entertainment. What we won’t pay for is K12 teachers, police officers and firefighters.
True. But the city can justify that to citizens in terms of recouping the investment through tourism revenue. Not saying that it justifies the upfront cost, but there is ROI.
Imagine the economic impact of a well educated safe city. Now in know that money alone can't accomplish either of those things but paying the “boots on the ground” folks certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to accomplish either of those things. I understand your point but it actually reinforces my point, people will pay for entertainment.

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:07 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:41 am


You can make that argument, but do you really thing the BoG will see it that way? This is the UNC system, after all, which shuns most all academic expansion of App State in favor of just creeping UNC slowly down I-40/85. NC State doesn’t even get the same preferential treatment as UNC and they have had the better athletics programs, as well as more in demand academic programs, the past 10 to 15 years.

ECU has been fortunate enough to have a Medical School which has a ton of coverage east of Greenville. I currently reside in Edenton and ECU Health has expanded out here and I wish they would expand out to Elizabeth City because their service is much, much better than what is currently in place there.

That aside (you know I like to ramble, it’s my ADHD, I’ve been this way since 17), UNC will get whatever they ask for and it will be buried in some circular logic that is easily refutable yet will be rife with plausible deniability and some gaslighting of App. There may even be threats to the University about other funding.


I understand the school won’t have to pay athletes, but if programs in the conference and FBS are doing so, App is going to have to find a way. Winning on culture has sustained App thus far, and Shawn Clark has been a huge part of that continued culture. His sales pitch, and commitment, seems to outweigh the potential negatives due to lack of NIL relative to others. But how long does that last? How many Joey’s, Peoples, Kaiden Robinson’s, Parker’s, Nate Noel’s are there going to be in five years?

This next generation of kids will have been brought up with the expectation of payment. They won’t see it as a perk but will rather see it as being mandatory. That’s the question that will be answered. As of now, App has a great core of young men who will be successful in life after football, while also being high performers on the field. It’s going to continue to be harder to meet the burden of both as more money is pumped in all around us.
Compensation as an employee comes from the state budget. The thoughts of the BoG are irrelevant. If they are employees, regardless of which school they “work” for, we are going to be footing the bill. I don’t see them becoming employees because of the backlash from citizens. There are far more non football fans in the country than there are football fans.
The city of Charlotte just allocated $650,000,000 in tax dollars to renovate BOA stadium. Not saying I like it but we are a society that will pay for entertainment. What we won’t pay for is K12 teachers, police officers and firefighters.
True. But the city can justify that to citizens in terms of recouping the investment through tourism revenue. Not saying that it justifies the upfront cost, but there is ROI.
Imagine the economic impact of a well educated safe city. Now in know that money alone can't accomplish either of those things but paying the “boots on the ground” folks certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to accomplish either of those things. I understand your point but it actually reinforces my point, people will pay for entertainment.
Not a Charlotte/Mecklenburg resident but was there a referendum provided for the citizens to vote on it?

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1318 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:07 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am


Compensation as an employee comes from the state budget. The thoughts of the BoG are irrelevant. If they are employees, regardless of which school they “work” for, we are going to be footing the bill. I don’t see them becoming employees because of the backlash from citizens. There are far more non football fans in the country than there are football fans.
The city of Charlotte just allocated $650,000,000 in tax dollars to renovate BOA stadium. Not saying I like it but we are a society that will pay for entertainment. What we won’t pay for is K12 teachers, police officers and firefighters.
True. But the city can justify that to citizens in terms of recouping the investment through tourism revenue. Not saying that it justifies the upfront cost, but there is ROI.
Imagine the economic impact of a well educated safe city. Now in know that money alone can't accomplish either of those things but paying the “boots on the ground” folks certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to accomplish either of those things. I understand your point but it actually reinforces my point, people will pay for entertainment.
Not a Charlotte/Mecklenburg resident but was there a referendum provided for the citizens to vote on it?
No, it was a city council vote. They are using hotel, restaurant tax money. But if you really think about it locals that have P5 schools like Alabama and Michigan could use the same revenue argument as professional sports teams. Heck Boone and Blowing Rock get an economic bump from game day. I think if it came down to canceling college football our society would pony up the money.

User avatar
appstatealum
Posts: 3315
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:45 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Charlotte/Gastonia
Has thanked: 3326 times
Been thanked: 1777 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:33 pm

So essentially many more people are being exposed to the fact that socialism doesn't work and any further progression into this will only lead to more of a mess. Got it.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:42 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:45 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:07 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm


The city of Charlotte just allocated $650,000,000 in tax dollars to renovate BOA stadium. Not saying I like it but we are a society that will pay for entertainment. What we won’t pay for is K12 teachers, police officers and firefighters.
True. But the city can justify that to citizens in terms of recouping the investment through tourism revenue. Not saying that it justifies the upfront cost, but there is ROI.
Imagine the economic impact of a well educated safe city. Now in know that money alone can't accomplish either of those things but paying the “boots on the ground” folks certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to accomplish either of those things. I understand your point but it actually reinforces my point, people will pay for entertainment.
Not a Charlotte/Mecklenburg resident but was there a referendum provided for the citizens to vote on it?
No, it was a city council vote. They are using hotel, restaurant tax money. But if you really think about it locals that have P5 schools like Alabama and Michigan could use the same revenue argument as professional sports teams. Heck Boone and Blowing Rock get an economic bump from game day. I think if it came down to canceling college football our society would pony up the money.
That a bit shady to not offer up a referendum. But I guess they aren’t asking folks to be taxed more, just reallocating what is coming in.

As for college sports. There are more people that either don’t care if sports go away than care if they stay in this country. Look at our alumni base versus the Yosef Club membership.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1318 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:49 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:42 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:45 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:07 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm


True. But the city can justify that to citizens in terms of recouping the investment through tourism revenue. Not saying that it justifies the upfront cost, but there is ROI.
Imagine the economic impact of a well educated safe city. Now in know that money alone can't accomplish either of those things but paying the “boots on the ground” folks certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to accomplish either of those things. I understand your point but it actually reinforces my point, people will pay for entertainment.
Not a Charlotte/Mecklenburg resident but was there a referendum provided for the citizens to vote on it?
No, it was a city council vote. They are using hotel, restaurant tax money. But if you really think about it locals that have P5 schools like Alabama and Michigan could use the same revenue argument as professional sports teams. Heck Boone and Blowing Rock get an economic bump from game day. I think if it came down to canceling college football our society would pony up the money.
That a bit shady to not offer up a referendum. But I guess they aren’t asking folks to be taxed more, just reallocating what is coming in.

As for college sports. There are more people that either don’t care if sports go away than care if they stay in this country. Look at our alumni base versus the Yosef Club membership.
College football is part of the fabric of our society. It may get less popular because of this but it’s not going away.

Saint3333
Posts: 13146
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 3109 times
Been thanked: 4788 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:01 pm

Panther vote is on June 24th.

Based on Tepper's track record I say let him pay for 100% of the upgrades. The stadium is an asset of the Panther organization and not owned by the city.

Don't give me that what about the revenue to the city line either, the incremental difference in hotel and restaurant traffic will be nil.

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:32 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:49 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:42 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:45 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:07 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:43 pm


Imagine the economic impact of a well educated safe city. Now in know that money alone can't accomplish either of those things but paying the “boots on the ground” folks certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to accomplish either of those things. I understand your point but it actually reinforces my point, people will pay for entertainment.
Not a Charlotte/Mecklenburg resident but was there a referendum provided for the citizens to vote on it?
No, it was a city council vote. They are using hotel, restaurant tax money. But if you really think about it locals that have P5 schools like Alabama and Michigan could use the same revenue argument as professional sports teams. Heck Boone and Blowing Rock get an economic bump from game day. I think if it came down to canceling college football our society would pony up the money.
That a bit shady to not offer up a referendum. But I guess they aren’t asking folks to be taxed more, just reallocating what is coming in.

As for college sports. There are more people that either don’t care if sports go away than care if they stay in this country. Look at our alumni base versus the Yosef Club membership.
College football is part of the fabric of our society. It may get less popular because of this but it’s not going away.
Meh. There are a lot of things that you could correlate that to that are no longer the case.

bcoach
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1283 times
Been thanked: 1406 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:56 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:56 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:56 pm
Was a bad idea, is a bad idea, will be a bad idea. We truly are a nation of shortsighted thinkers. How is possible that people did not see this coming. I am 100% serious, how is it possible.
The money was pouring in. I had a boss one time who said everything’s funny with a pocket full of money.
That is the very point that is overlooked. The money pours in in SOME places not most places. One more time the powers to be were thinking backwards.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1318 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:13 am

bcoach wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:56 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:56 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:56 pm
Was a bad idea, is a bad idea, will be a bad idea. We truly are a nation of shortsighted thinkers. How is possible that people did not see this coming. I am 100% serious, how is it possible.
The money was pouring in. I had a boss one time who said everything’s funny with a pocket full of money.
That is the very point that is overlooked. The money pours in in SOME places not most places. One more time the powers to be were thinking backwards.
My point was that they didn’t think at all. Just enjoy the money.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1611 times
Been thanked: 2949 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:19 pm

I figured something like this would be coming down the pipe

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... mpensation
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza
Posts: 4959
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2502 times
Been thanked: 1767 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:51 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:19 pm
I figured something like this would be coming down the pipe

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... mpensation
Perhaps it is time for our 2007 team to get on the bandwagon and get some cabbage. Think how many times CL's blocked FG been shown on tv over the years. Many say it launched the Big10 network bc everyone else had to pay royalties to share the highlights. I am only halfway joking with this idea; I mean if NCSU can do it why can't we?

AppSt94
Posts: 10006
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6622 times
Been thanked: 4156 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:01 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:51 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:19 pm
I figured something like this would be coming down the pipe

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... mpensation
Perhaps it is time for our 2007 team to get on the bandwagon and get some cabbage. Think how many times CL's blocked FG been shown on tv over the years. Many say it launched the Big10 network bc everyone else had to pay royalties to share the highlights. I am only halfway joking with this idea; I mean if NCSU can do it why can't we?
I was on the new highlights when the Wilmington station covered the ACC barnstorming tour back in 1983. I wonder if I can sue? 🤣

bcoach
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1283 times
Been thanked: 1406 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:14 am

Let's get it over with because this slow death of the college system is painful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”