Say "So Long" to the ACC

AppSt94
Posts: 10112
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6669 times
Been thanked: 4202 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:03 am
https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/17/a ... ppens-next

Who knows, but with all the realignment and money grabbing, the NIL and the portal, college football is morphing into something I no longer recognize.
It’s is an interesting read. But to be honest, they are all screwed in a sense. Splintering off to look out for themselves is great in theory but doesn’t guarantee anything. From my vantage point, the only schools that stand to benefit from splintering are UNC, UVA and NC State. The others would likely not find a better monetary situation, (including Clemson and FSU).

User avatar
APPdiesel
Posts: 2568
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 789 times
Been thanked: 1423 times
Contact:

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 am

It’s absolutely a risk. But what’s riskier - chasing the money you want or watching Rutgers and Vanderbilt get $30 million more per year?

We’ve all known for years what schools drag the ACC down athletically and provide no value. Breaking away is how the 7, 8, 9 shed the dead weight.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

bigdaddyg
Posts: 5832
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 2474 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu May 18, 2023 9:17 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 am
It’s absolutely a risk. But what’s riskier - chasing the money you want or watching Rutgers and Vanderbilt get $30 million more per year?

We’ve all known for years what schools drag the ACC down athletically and provide no value. Breaking away is how the 7, 8, 9 shed the dead weight.
Everyone knows it all comes down to football. Schools make the big basketball money during the tournament so conference affiliation doesn't really matter. If you are really good the regular season doesn't make a difference to an extent. There are a whole bunch of P5 schools who wouldn't generally be much better even if they doubled their budgets.
It's all relative. If Vandy or Missouri gets more money so does Alabama and Georgia. The general pool of top talent won't increase and the same group of big boys will get 99% of them. The kid who got overlooked and signed with the lesser school and blossoms his first year or 2 will get noticed and will jump ship for either more PT, perceived notoriety or NIL cash. The usual P5 dregs will either have to be happy going 6-6 (occasionally 8-4) and grabbing cash or will look to establish themselves in yet another conference. Fans of those schools will still remain delusional and they will churn through coaches looking for a miracle.

AppSt94
Posts: 10112
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6669 times
Been thanked: 4202 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 am
It’s absolutely a risk. But what’s riskier - chasing the money you want or watching Rutgers and Vanderbilt get $30 million more per year?

We’ve all known for years what schools drag the ACC down athletically and provide no value. Breaking away is how the 7, 8, 9 shed the dead weight.
But how does breaking away get you more money? I think the assumption is that in order to get more you have to join one of either the SEC or BiG10. But unless you are adding ND to the mix, what schools can actually add enough to the pie to keep the distribution as is? For anyone looking to join the SEC, there are three players, the schools on the inside, the schools on the outside and ESPN. Why would ESPN want to pay a Clemson or FSU $70 million when they have them locked up at $30 million until 2036? Why would the SEC want them? Neither brings in a new market for them so neither really moves the needle to increased revenue. At least not enough to keep the payout at its current level.

Schools like UVA and the two public schools in NC offer more in terms of new markets to the both P2s which enhances the revenue pie.

The other piece to that puzzle is how many of those so called Magic 8 would truly benefit? If they became open for poaching, only 4 are likely to go and the BiG10 would likely seek Carolina and Virginia out and add Wash and Oregon as well. What does the SEC do? They only need two and which two
make the most sense to keep the payout where it is. I realize that we are talking as fans but if money is driving decisions, would you rather add FSU and Clemson and cut your distribution by $10 million per school or take a State and Tech by expanding your footprint. But would ESPN want that given the above?

t4pizza
Posts: 4965
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2519 times
Been thanked: 1773 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu May 18, 2023 10:07 am

I actually see Miami as the most desired school by football conferences, just because of the recruiting ties alone. No other school in the ACC can come close to touching the fertile recruiting grounds of south Florida. But I generally agree with the contention that none of the teams in the ACC really move the needle for SEC expansion because the SEC already has most of the markets (VA and NC are the exceptions). The real head scratcher to me is why an 8th team would jump in and help blow up the ACC because I just don't see the remaining conferences wanting 8 ACC teams so in the end there will be no landing spot for the Louisvilles of the conference.

AppSt94
Posts: 10112
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6669 times
Been thanked: 4202 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:16 am

The above is why I think that the 8th team is needed to not necessarily blow up the league but blow up the GOR. The ACC schools really have no play here as they are working from a position of weakness.

t4pizza
Posts: 4965
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2519 times
Been thanked: 1773 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu May 18, 2023 11:10 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:16 am
The above is why I think that the 8th team is needed to not necessarily blow up the league but blow up the GOR. The ACC schools really have no play here as they are working from a position of weakness.
You can't blow up the GOR without blowing up the league, they are inextricably intertwined with one another. Any team that votes to void the GOR does so knowing full well that as soon as the GOR is over, teams will bolt the conference and the ACC will cease to be for all practical purposes.

AppSt94
Posts: 10112
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6669 times
Been thanked: 4202 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:19 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:10 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:16 am
The above is why I think that the 8th team is needed to not necessarily blow up the league but blow up the GOR. The ACC schools really have no play here as they are working from a position of weakness.
You can't blow up the GOR without blowing up the league, they are inextricably intertwined with one another. Any team that votes to void the GOR does so knowing full well that as soon as the GOR is over, teams will bolt the conference and the ACC will cease to be for all practical purposes.
In theory yes. But it goes back to my earlier post. Where are they going to go?

spacemonkey
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 517 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu May 18, 2023 11:38 am

I think you are going to see Oregon and Washington in the SEC instead of the BIG. I think the BIG is going to take UNC, Stanford, California, Virginia and hold out for Notre Dame. Georgia Tech will be the one with no chair when the music stops. (No good chair). Clemson and Florida St. could get blocked by USCarolina, and Uflorida and end up with no chair. I feel like the BIG is trying to be the academic snob at the end of this. If they land UNC, UVA, NotreDame and Stanford, they will have the academic snob bragging rights. Clemson may get in the BIG just to give them a SC school.

AppSt94
Posts: 10112
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6669 times
Been thanked: 4202 times

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:41 am

Interesting take on Stanford and Cal. Not one that I had considered but it does seem plausible.

User avatar
APPdiesel
Posts: 2568
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 789 times
Been thanked: 1423 times
Contact:

Re: Say "So Long" to the ACC

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 am
It’s absolutely a risk. But what’s riskier - chasing the money you want or watching Rutgers and Vanderbilt get $30 million more per year?

We’ve all known for years what schools drag the ACC down athletically and provide no value. Breaking away is how the 7, 8, 9 shed the dead weight.
But how does breaking away get you more money? I think the assumption is that in order to get more you have to join one of either the SEC or BiG10. But unless you are adding ND to the mix, what schools can actually add enough to the pie to keep the distribution as is? For anyone looking to join the SEC, there are three players, the schools on the inside, the schools on the outside and ESPN. Why would ESPN want to pay a Clemson or FSU $70 million when they have them locked up at $30 million until 2036? Why would the SEC want them? Neither brings in a new market for them so neither really moves the needle to increased revenue. At least not enough to keep the payout at its current level.

Schools like UVA and the two public schools in NC offer more in terms of new markets to the both P2s which enhances the revenue pie.

The other piece to that puzzle is how many of those so called Magic 8 would truly benefit? If they became open for poaching, only 4 are likely to go and the BiG10 would likely seek Carolina and Virginia out and add Wash and Oregon as well. What does the SEC do? They only need two and which two
make the most sense to keep the payout where it is. I realize that we are talking as fans but if money is driving decisions, would you rather add FSU and Clemson and cut your distribution by $10 million per school or take a State and Tech by expanding your footprint. But would ESPN want that given the above?
Where do they go? They go to ESPN and say “we are your ratings getters in the ACC, you pay us 9 the same as you were paying the 14 and you get to air more of us instead of teams that don’t get ratings…if that’s not interesting to you, we go to fox or cbs”
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”