Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SATTERFIELD TO CINCY

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: SATTERFIELD TO CINCY

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:06 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:28 am
canes_mj wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:11 am
No matter how it's done, rarely does a coach leaving for another job go well publicly
- they either initially deny, and then are called a liar later
- if they express interest and are open about it, they are criticized as using their current team as a stepping stone; they lose that team
- if they tell them in tell, the team turns on them (see Brian Kelly trying to sell his move to his ND players?)
- if it leaks, all heck breaks loose
- if it's completely out of the blue and unexpected, fans feel betrayed

There's no good way to do this usually....this doesn't happen in my job. My business isn't open for the entire world, I don't have media asking me about what I'm going to do. I can privately look for a better opportunity and no one knows until I find it, and if I stay no ne knows I ever was looking in the first place. It's unique to sports. Many here got plenty pissed at Satt for leaving App; and Drink....woulda have been pissed at Clarke for leaving but he's not winning so now we want him gone. Coaches walk a razor's edge and they have to look out for themselves because fans and this business is fickle.
Well now you’ve gone and made too much sense. How dare you?
Indeed so! There is no easy way to do it. Best thing to do is just never commit too much one way and let people know you don't know what the future holds. You can't firmly say something because things beyond your control or expectations will change.

Things have changed and at one time it was not about money for players and coaches but now it is. People are worried about feelings but we all know what this is about now. It is time the hypocrisy stop for all sides here. I am not mad at a coach moving on, a player de-committing, a player entering the portal, a coach telling a player his scholarship is not being renewed, a school not letting a player return for entering the portal, etc. Everyone can freely go now and as much as I don't like the current system I think if we are going to have this then we need to be fair about it. I saw on 247 they were arguing about HS coaches not letting us in their school if we let a player go but you don't see the concern by HS coaches if their kid flips that the college they flipped from won't come back. We also need to realize that all the P5s are cutting players, coaching are not picking schools for prestige but for the money, etc. It is what it is and we can't be mad at it.

We can say what we want here but if Shawn was winning and got a 4M offer from another school he would take it. He might turn down a little more money or any other G5 but Shawn Clark would absolutely bolt for a P5 if they offered him 4M. He can say this is his dream job all he wants, and it was at one time, but dreams change and when the money is substantial it changes it. I might not want to be on wallstreet but if someone offered me 5M a year to go do that I would do it for the money. The college football world has changed and it is time for fans to realize that we might be loyal to our school but no player or coach truly is when the money hits big. Nate Noel, Burger, Stroman, and the rest could be lured away with a big enough NIL deal. It is what it is.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm

The only thing high school coaches should rail against are conferences that play Friday night games. Friday nights are for high school games. It’s only one night a week. Don’t encroach on it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm
The only thing high school coaches should rail against are conferences that play Friday night games. Friday nights are for high school games. It’s only one night a week. Don’t encroach on it.
I know I wouldn’t like that either.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:23 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:15 am
311neers wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:10 am
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:06 am
311neers wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 am
Satterfield to cincinnati. Wow
Good for him! I hope he finds huge success there. I think Cincy will give him the resources to show what he can really do.
Louisville has some of the best resources in the country, think they just forced him out. Less pressure at cincy and moving to big 12 might be enticing. Really weird by louisville but their fans seem to be thrilled.
IMO I don’t think Scott has done squat at Louisville. This seems like a really weird deal.
He's made millions
BLACK SATURDAY

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:33 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
I had to start the booster club at a brand new high school in Raleigh. The county did not fund athletics for things like scoreboards, refreshment stands, security, buses and on and on. I even wrote a bad check for a bus to get the FB team to there first game. As a matter of fact I wrote another one the next week to get them to that game. Friday nights were REAL important. It was important for the kids to have butts in the seats and for the income it provided. I will not under ANY circumstances attend a college game on a Friday night. To be perfectly honest I also look with disfavor on a school that plays one.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:35 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:33 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
I had to start the booster club at a brand new high school in Raleigh. The county did not fund athletics for things like scoreboards, refreshment stands, security, buses and on and on. I even wrote a bad check for a bus to get the FB team to there first game. As a matter of fact I wrote another one the next week to get them to that game. Friday nights were REAL important. It was important for the kids to have butts in the seats and for the income it provided. I will not under ANY circumstances attend a college game on a Friday night. To be perfectly honest I also look with disfavor on a school that plays one.
I agree with you but it's not always up to the school which night they play. As far as I'm concerned college football should only be played on Saturdays, no weeknight games. A lot of colleges and universities depend on the gate just like high schools do.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:08 pm

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 am

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:35 pm
bcoach wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
I agree with you but it's not always up to the school which night they play. As far as I'm concerned college football should only be played on Saturdays, no weeknight games. A lot of colleges and universities depend on the gate just like high schools do.
Actually it is up to the schools through their conference. The problem is that they don't negotiate contracts they just accept them. You have armatures working opposite professionals. I do understand what you are saying though.

Parks&RecAPP

Unread post by Parks&RecAPP » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 am

appdaze wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:08 pm
So Gaspo is available...

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:19 pm

bcoach wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:

You are saying, WCPSS did not provide activity buses? I do not believe that is correct at all. Unless you needed the team to get a charter bus.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm

canes_mj wrote:
No matter how it's done, rarely does a coach leaving for another job go well publicly
- if they express interest and are open about it, they are criticized as using their current team as a stepping stone; they lose that team
- if they tell them in tell, the team turns on them (see Brian Kelly trying to sell his move to his ND players?)

There's no good way to do this usually....this doesn't happen in my job. My business isn't open for the entire world, I don't have media asking me about what I'm going to do. I can privately look for a better opportunity and no one knows until I find it, and if I stay no ne knows I ever was looking in the first place. It's unique to sports. Many here got plenty pissed at Satt for leaving App; and Drink....woulda have been pissed at Clarke for leaving but he's not winning so now we want him gone. Coaches walk a razor's edge and they have to look out for themselves because fans and this business is fickle.
Looks like coach drink checked just about every one of those boxes. Even going as far as mentioning the App State isn’t a steppingstone job and he would not do that and then did it.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:31 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:19 pm
bcoach wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:

You are saying, WCPSS did not provide activity buses? I do not believe that is correct at all. Unless you needed the team to get a charter bus.
Could be that WCPSS owns the buses and charges the schools to use them. Some systems do this. Some schools own their own buses. Each school has to budget accordingly.
WE ARE YOSEF!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:28 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm
canes_mj wrote:

Looks like coach drink checked just about every one of those boxes. Even going as far as mentioning the App State isn’t a steppingstone job and he would not do that and then did it.
I think I'm in the minority in the fanbase in that I have good feelings towards Drink. My guess is he was expecting to be here 2-3 yrs and then hopefully get a P5 job; I doubt he expected one to come along after just 1 year. But it did and he made a decision. As far as the stepping stone comment, what's he supposed to say? Every job in CFB except for about 7 or 8 schools is a stepping stone. Most jobs in regular life are stepping stones if one plays their cards right. I love App...LOVE LOVE LOVE App...but sorry, we are a stepping stone job. Let's be honest. That's just the reality of the college football world.

Drink led us to a conference title and arguably the greatest season in school history.....we were some bad weather and a few defensive breakdowns vs GaSo away from being undefeated and in a NY6 bowl....he led us to one of the iconic signature moments in program history in the win at UNC....another P5 win at SC...i was at both of those and they were amazing...especially UNC; probably the best live App game I've ever been at....so I look back on that season and I still get the glow from it...that's what I think of; not the leaving part....sucks for us he left; but we're not his responsibility, his family is. Being completely honest, I would have done the same thing.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:19 pm

Well Louisville was bound and determined to sign Brohm. Didn't they want him back when they signed Satt? He's one of the golden boy former great players who the powers that be think is the shit. Way overpaying him and if he essentially matches what Satt did nobody will say a word. Same thing happened at A&M and Nebraska. Going 8-4 is unacceptable and "we should battle for titles every year "!!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:50 pm

ASU is a “stepping stone job” if you win. If you don’t, you ain’t stepping anywhere.
It wasn’t one for Jerry Moore, but was for Drink and Buzz and Satt and Cremins and Mac and Sparky. Not so for Foxx or Capel or Working (jump on that scatman, I know you got no use for Working) or Cantwell.
The jury is still out on Kearns. Clark has got to get it going.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:04 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:50 pm
ASU is a “stepping stone job” if you win. If you don’t, you ain’t stepping anywhere.
It wasn’t one for Jerry Moore, but was for Drink and Buzz and Satt and Cremins and Mac and Sparky. Not so for Foxx or Capel or Working (jump on that scatman, I know you got no use for Working) or Cantwell.
Said it before and I’ll say it again, we can either hire coaches we are willing to lose or we can just lose. The idea that we can hire a head coach who will make us the team we want to be and won’t leave is a fantasy.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:28 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:04 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:50 pm
Said it before and I’ll say it again, we can either hire coaches we are willing to lose or we can just lose. The idea that we can hire a head coach who will make us the team we want to be and won’t leave is a fantasy.
Looking for the list of successful coaches who stayed at a mid level school and had more lucrative job offers (more than doubling their salary) but turned them down and remained at that successful mid level school. Did Coach Moore get offers to coach any P5's? I don't include guys who were offered lateral moves. These would be the life changing offer but they said no I love ______ University too much and don't care about the money.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:30 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:19 pm
bcoach wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:

It is absolutely correct. They did NOT provide activity busses and we were not allowed to use yellow busses. We had to provide our own activity busses. I am NOT guessing. It was a fact. I lived it.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm

Looking for the list of successful coaches who stayed at a mid level school and had more lucrative job offers (more than doubling their salary) but turned them down and remained at that successful mid level school. These would be the life changing offer but they said no I love ______ University too much and don't care about the money.

Would be an interesting list. The only one that comes to mind is a friend, John Kresse, who was at the College of Charleston for probably 25 years. He had a lot of offers from the big colleges and the pro’s but stayed at Charleston. And I do remember that they were NAIA for a long time, and he remained there. He loves Charleston, the town and the college.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:21 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm
Looking for the list of successful coaches who stayed at a mid level school and had more lucrative job offers (more than doubling their salary) but turned them down and remained at that successful mid level school. These would be the life changing offer but they said no I love ______ University too much and don't care about the money.

Would be an interesting list. The only one that comes to mind is a friend, John Kresse, who was at the College of Charleston for probably 25 years. He had a lot of offers from the big colleges and the pro’s but stayed at Charleston. And I do remember that they were NAIA for a long time, and he remained there. He loves Charleston, the town and the college.
It’s probably more common in basketball where someone stays. McKillop comes to mind, and you could put Few at Gonzaga in this as well, though he pretty much built a power from what was a solid program (I remember looking at the back of John Stockton’s basketball card and asking “Gonzaga, where’s that?”

Frank Solich was at OHIO U for 15 years. But that’s almost the exception that proves the rule.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”