Liberty next SBC addition?

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Liberty next SBC addition?

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:13 pm

goapps93 wrote:bcoach,
A few things. In order to qualify for a concealed carry permit in Virginia one must be 21 years of age. Most college students are under 21. Most concealed carry laws restrict the carrying of the weapon when consuming alcohol. I also think you're being a bit liberal in your assumption that 6000 students will be carrying firearms on campus or at a game. I really think you're getting a bit carried away but that is your prerogative. Like others have mentioned you should really be careful where you go because at any given time in a large group you could be around people who are carrying concealed weapons, some of them responsible, some not. Having said that though I don't believe there are very many people who carry concealed weapons and just because Liberty will allow it doesn't mean that thousands of students are going to go out and purchase handguns and ccw permits.
I understand your point. 6000 was for affect and I am sure it will be less. As I said later I don't want to be around 100 students with guns and especially on game day. I will tell you though that there are MANY packing in the SW VA area. Your advise is well taken. I do pay attention to where I am going and who is likely to be there. I also understand that it is unlawful to carry and consume but that also applies to drinking and driving and thousands do it every day. I am not anti gun as I have been a gun owner and carried for a few years. What I am is anti a bunch of students with guns all in the same place at the same time and again,on game day. I have been where a bunch of kids without guns get into an argument. It starts out with a push and a shove. I have also seen the same thing when they all knew people were packing. That one starts out with a draw because they know others have guns. The second one usually turns out a little worse than the first. Again I am not anti gun. I just think a campus is a bad place to have them.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:23 pm

bcoach wrote:Well I turned on the news this morning and Liberty was in it. I will now completely reverse my stand on Liberty. I DO NOT WANT THEM IN ANY CONFERENCE WE ARE IN. I don't get a vote but I will NEVER step on their campus. They are stone cold nuts!
"They are stone cold nuts!"
That's a MIGHTY BROAD brush you paint the school and their students with. I know some Liberty grads and current students... Outstanding folks that no one should have a problem associating with. I am neither for or against Liberty in this either. I always thought tolerence was a two way street.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:44 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
bcoach wrote:Well I turned on the news this morning and Liberty was in it. I will now completely reverse my stand on Liberty. I DO NOT WANT THEM IN ANY CONFERENCE WE ARE IN. I don't get a vote but I will NEVER step on their campus. They are stone cold nuts!
That's a MIGHTY BROAD brush you paint the school and their students with. I know some Liberty grads and current students... Outstanding folks that no one should have a problem associating with. I am neither for or against Liberty in this either. I always thought tolerence was a two way street.
I know a bunch also who are very good people. Let me clarify. The administration who decided to allow concealed carry by faculty and students on campus is " STONE COLD NUTS".

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:10 pm

gottcha

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 pm

My desired list of next-to-add member(s):

1.) JMU
2.) Nobody. The rest can go kick rocks.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:Though I disliked the school before today's news this is insane. Why in the world would I come to a game with a soon to be 3 year old son and have to be worried that a pissed off drunk Liberty student might wanna take out frustration of our drubbing of them on me. I myself am not going to conceal carry on a campus wearing an opponents colors. This has disaster written all over it. Yes college kids at Liberty drink just as much as the kids in Boone do. So in closing Liberty U went from being a fringe University to a ultra conservative collegiate cult today. This isn't a school for high learning its a tea party PAC.

Mr. Benson please do not add Liberty at any cost. Ill take a west coast team at this point. You don't want to have to be interviewed about the tailgating or post game shooting that is going to occur at some point.
Guess my life was in danger at the Va Tech game. Yea that Tea Party bunch is one scary crowd. Middle aged, gainfully employed, respectful tax paying citizens with no police records, that refrained from using profanity or making threats who cleaned up after their peaceful assembly. They are far more dangerous than that Occupy crowd of mainly out of work slackers - many bankrolled by unions to participate - who drank heavily, used any available space for a restroom, trashed city parks and streets and threatened anyone who questioned them. You seriously need to broaden your scope of information outside Rachel Madcow and the other kooks on MSNBC.

It's perfectly fine if you don't like Liberty, but I don't understand the to constantly bash conservatives and Christianity.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm

RankinApp wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:My pecking order of the new addition to the SB would be as follows:

1. James Madison (seems very unlikely based on what all has been published)
2. Sam Houston State (I don't mind another TX school but not sure which west school would move to the East)
3. Richmond (I know they have no interest currently but they are solid in bball and football)
4. Delaware (No sure if it is a regional fit but who knows)
5. Liberty (last resort if the SB really wants a championship game in 2014, if not just wait it out another year and see where the chips fall)
1. Yes please.
2. Sam Houston State has had two good years of football losing to NDSU in the championship game. That's been the peak for football. Beyond that the entire athletic program is an afterthought. No thanks.
3. We're leaving a conference filled with small private schools playing in small stadiums and you want to add one to our new conference? Richmond will never build a stadium to satisfy FBS demands. Not happening. They're happy pulling in 8K a game. No Thanks.
4. Delaware is plagued by aging facilities and a president and athletic director who appear out to lunch. Long time (football) fans have been alienated and their attendance and season ticket numbers have been plummeting. I don't see Delaware ever "sinking" to the level of accepting a Sun Belt invite. No Thanks.
You have messed up big time now! Introducing God into the conversation is a sure fire indication you are a ultra right wing nut case and opened yourself up for assault by the left wingers.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Tolerance as defined by the left is everyone must accept anything, regardless of how far on the fringe or socially unacceptable it is in mainstream society, they deem legitimate while the right is entitled to no opinion on the matter.

George Washington

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Kgfish wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:Though I disliked the school before today's news this is insane. Why in the world would I come to a game with a soon to be 3 year old son and have to be worried that a pissed off drunk Liberty student might wanna take out frustration of our drubbing of them on me. I myself am not going to conceal carry on a campus wearing an opponents colors. This has disaster written all over it. Yes college kids at Liberty drink just as much as the kids in Boone do. So in closing Liberty U went from being a fringe University to a ultra conservative collegiate cult today. This isn't a school for high learning its a tea party PAC.

Mr. Benson please do not add Liberty at any cost. Ill take a west coast team at this point. You don't want to have to be interviewed about the tailgating or post game shooting that is going to occur at some point.
Guess my life was in danger at the Va Tech game. Yea that Tea Party bunch is one scary crowd. Middle aged, gainfully employed, respectful tax paying citizens with no police records, that refrained from using profanity or making threats who cleaned up after their peaceful assembly. They are far more dangerous than that Occupy crowd of mainly out of work slackers - many bankrolled by unions to participate - who drank heavily, used any available space for a restroom, trashed city parks and streets and threatened anyone who questioned them. You seriously need to broaden your scope of information outside Rachel Madcow and the other kooks on MSNBC.

It's perfectly fine if you don't like Liberty, but I don't understand the to constantly bash conservatives and Christianity.
Actually, according to the Wall Street Journal, only about 15% of the Occupy folks were unemployed.

You always tell folks to broaden your scope. It's pretty clear you are just as narrow in your views as those you criticize. BTW, its Maddow. I know you were trying to be cute but name calling shows weakness in one's argument.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Interesting info from an Ark St poster on the SBC board. It seems that there is an FCS (not named) that is interested in joining but wants to wait a year to join. Seems there was no support for Liberty.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=628247

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
We are already going to be going to Texas State and UT-Arlington so guns on campus is in our future regardless of Liberty's presence in the Sun Belt.
Unless they have passed new laws very recently, I believe that all campuses in Texas are still no guns allowed. I know that our campus is and out here in West Texas it would be one of the first to have them on campus; something I am definitely not looking forward to.

I think the recent shootings at Lone Star College near Houston after two students got into a fight have slowed down some of the people advocating for guns on campuses in Texas.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm

newtoasu wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:
We are already going to be going to Texas State and UT-Arlington so guns on campus is in our future regardless of Liberty's presence in the Sun Belt.
Unless they have passed new laws very recently, I believe that all campuses in Texas are still no guns allowed. I know that our campus is and out here in West Texas it would be one of the first to have them on campus; something I am definitely not looking forward to.

I think the recent shootings at Lone Star College near Houston after two students got into a fight have slowed down some of the people advocating for guns on campuses in Texas.
I did not mean to imply that they are allowed, at least legally. I was merely saying that in Texas I'm sure plenty of guns are on those campuses whether they are legally allowed or not, just like most colleges. I remember seeing more than one handgun in a bookbag during my time at Liberty and more than once while in class in Boone. Long as it doesn't bother me, I won't bother it.

happyappy84

Unread post by happyappy84 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Kgfish wrote:

Haha. "Broaden your scope of information" he says as he throws out every tired left wing stereotype in the book to bash anybody who is against Liberty. What a clown.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Kgfish wrote: Guess my life was in danger at the Va Tech game. Yea that Tea Party bunch is one scary crowd. Middle aged, gainfully employed, respectful tax paying citizens with no police records, that refrained from using profanity or making threats who cleaned up after their peaceful assembly. They are far more dangerous than that Occupy crowd of mainly out of work slackers - many bankrolled by unions to participate - who drank heavily, used any available space for a restroom, trashed city parks and streets and threatened anyone who questioned them. You seriously need to broaden your scope of information outside Rachel Madcow and the other kooks on MSNBC.

Sorry but I thought the Tea Party was the bunch that stomp defenseless women and and mocked Parkinson's Victims and forwards racial images of a US President. I would have a hard time calling them respectful or Christian, because I've never seen a Christ like action from any of them. Also they didn't have to sleep in parks and etc because they were funded by billionaires and Fox News. But then you'd never know that watching Glenn, Rush, Bill or the other Infotainers pretending to be new people. BTW, they are mostly middle age+ (and white) but I'm not sure how we know they don't have police records?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opini ... .html?_r=0

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... howing.php

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... e-1.193049

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/1 ... 04183.html

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I know several Liberty alumni and students. Collectively they are a quality group. I am not a JF fan but Liberty is a fine school. I much prefer JMU as the 12th Sunbelt team over Liberty as ASU has more in common with them. I also have no problem with those who prefer other schools to Liberty. However, the downright hate on this board for Liberty is quite disappointing and actually rather appalling. Tolerance seems OK only if it agrees with your personal views.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 am

What it really comes down to is that each side tries to make the place something it is not. It is not the holiest place there is and it is not the home of the devil. They have good kids and bad kids. They have a RB that was suspended I think two years ago for underage drinking and again this year for malicious wounding and robbery. They also have students who do missions and a lot of other good things for people in the community. They are not all good and not all bad. Am I a fan? No I have my differences, but that does not make them bad. They don't try to impose their rules on me. They have instituted a policy that I think is nuts so I have chosen not to visit there. That solves my problem. Why not let them do their thing and if we don't like it we can do ours.
Don't worry, be happy.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 am

bcoach wrote:What it really comes down to is that each side tries to make the place something it is not. It is not the holiest place there is and it is not the home of the devil. They have good kids and bad kids. They have a RB that was suspended I think two years ago for underage drinking and again this year for malicious wounding and robbery. They also have students who do missions and a lot of other good things for people in the community. They are not all good and not all bad. Am I a fan? No I have my differences, but that does not make them bad. They don't try to impose their rules on me. They have instituted a policy that I think is nuts so I have chosen not to visit there. That solves my problem. Why not let them do their thing and if we don't like it we can do ours.
Don't worry, be happy.
Well said! This goes to the heart of most of the issues of our age- people wanting to place their ideals on others. How about we just let people do what they want to do for as long a period as it has no impact on others! It's about the most American thing I can think of

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:45 am

Maddog1956 wrote:
Kgfish wrote: Guess my life was in danger at the Va Tech game. Yea that Tea Party bunch is one scary crowd. Middle aged, gainfully employed, respectful tax paying citizens with no police records, that refrained from using profanity or making threats who cleaned up after their peaceful assembly. They are far more dangerous than that Occupy crowd of mainly out of work slackers - many bankrolled by unions to participate - who drank heavily, used any available space for a restroom, trashed city parks and streets and threatened anyone who questioned them. You seriously need to broaden your scope of information outside Rachel Madcow and the other kooks on MSNBC.

Sorry but I thought the Tea Party was the bunch that stomp defenseless women and and mocked Parkinson's Victims and forwards racial images of a US President. I would have a hard time calling them respectful or Christian, because I've never seen a Christ like action from any of them. Also they didn't have to sleep in parks and etc because they were funded by billionaires and Fox News. But then you'd never know that watching Glenn, Rush, Bill or the other Infotainers pretending to be new people. BTW, they are mostly middle age+ (and white) but I'm not sure how we know they don't have police records?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opini ... .html?_r=0

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... howing.php

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... e-1.193049

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/1 ... 04183.html
Take a breath dude. Are you for or against what the Tea Party stands for? Limited Government?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 am

Cincy App wrote:Tolerance seems OK only if it agrees with your personal views.
Do you realize that what most of these people are intolerant of is intolerance.

The same culture (Southern Christians) that oppressed black people for 200 years is oppressing homosexuals today. No amount of martyrdom will provide a moral high ground for Liberty U, a exemplification of that same age-old hatred and INTOLERANCE.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Cincy App wrote:Tolerance seems OK only if it agrees with your personal views.
Do you realize that what most of these people are intolerant of is intolerance.

The same culture (Southern Christians) that oppressed black people for 200 years is oppressing homosexuals today. No amount of martyrdom will provide a moral high ground for Liberty U, a exemplification of that same age-old hatred and INTOLERANCE.
Just be careful of generalizations. I'm a white, southern follower of Christ and voted against Amendment 1. I couldn't care less is gays marry.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”