Liberty next SBC addition?

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Liberty next SBC addition?

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

HkyMtneer wrote: I will just say that I disagree with your statement of "borderline diploma mill". I was at Liberty for two years (99-01), when Liberty was held in much less regard then than now, and in my 5 years (undergrad & graduate) at ASU (I lost one year because of the religious classes not being transferable) I only had one, ONE, class at Appalachian that was more difficult than ANY class I took at Liberty.
ANY academic prestige you might believe Liberty to have is completely undone by this:

http://www.liberty.edu/academics/arts-s ... /creation/

How anyone could flat out deny the overwhelming scientific consensus about the nature of life is mind numbing. But a whole institution built on these twisted, cultish views!? These people are absolutely insane.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:47 am

The VT kid was trying to "better" himself and go to college and owned guns. Its a culture thing. College sports are a place where emotions run high. Combine that with alcohol and a bunch of handguns and you better be bulletproof or a damn good shot.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

Yea 1 kid at VT how many murders happen other places not at college? Yea i understand people are scared to others having guns but to be honest when i walk across Appalachian what is to stop someone coming on this campus? The 2 ASU rent a cops? oh yea gosh i feel better already :roll:

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am

3rd wrote:
bcoach wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:
bcoach wrote:Well I turned on the news this morning and Liberty was in it. I will now completely reverse my stand on Liberty. I DO NOT WANT THEM IN ANY CONFERENCE WE ARE IN. I don't get a vote but I will NEVER step on their campus. They are stone cold nuts!
You'd be missing out then! I'd love to travel back to the 'burg to see our Mountaineers play my other team, the Flames. The only way you wouldn't love the Liberty campus is if you don't like seeing a beautiful Jeffersonian campus develop before your eyes, and don't enjoy being greeted by the friendliest college fans anywhere, free of inebriation and cursing. As for me, that would be a welcome change from the Statesboro's of the world. Seeing the Mountaineers play without having to wonder if you'll get back to your car only to find it keyed would be a nice change of pace.

I remember when I went to Liberty we had groups (usually brother/sister dorms) that would take flashcards and write small notes like: "Thanks for coming to Lynchburg. We hope we beat you on the field (or court, etc.) today but more than that, we hope you had a great time on our campus and in our town and we hope to see you next time. Safe travels home!" under the windshield wipers of the cars of clearly visiting team's fans. Little things like that are hard to find these days.
See when you say "the only way" you would be making assumptions and those assumptions would be wrong. My opinion has nothing to do with how the place looks. It looks great. I drive past there 7-8 times a year. I have also been there when we played them. I was defending them (for sports only) yesterday on here. But today on the news they announced that all faculty AND STUDENTS with concealed carry will be able to carry everywhere on campus except dorms. Sorry but I don't want to be around 5-6 thousand students with guns. That is just plain stupid. At our next game just look around and tell me you would feel good if even 100 were packing. Their decision making ability is insane.
whats the difference between students with guns and people at bars with guns? You are making an unfair assumption against students with permits. I would rather someone who is trying to better themselves by going to college have guns than someone who i have no idea what they are doing with their life have a gun at the bar im at
There is no difference at all. Do you go to bars that allow guns? Have you ever been to a tailgate?

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 am

3rd wrote:Yea 1 kid at VT how many murders happen other places not at college? Yea i understand people are scared to others having guns but to be honest when i walk across Appalachian what is to stop someone coming on this campus? The 2 ASU rent a cops? oh yea gosh i feel better already :roll:

ASU has 20 highly trained NC police officers. Many of which have military backgrounds. I know many of them personally and two are IRAQI war vets. So for your information they are FAAAAAAAAR from rent a cops. They go through the same program Winston Salem Raleigh and Charlotte cops do to become officers.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:59 am

ASUPATCH wrote:Though I disliked the school before today's news this is insane. Why in the world would I come to a game with a soon to be 3 year old son and have to be worried that a pissed off drunk Liberty student might wanna take out frustration of our drubbing of them on me. I myself am not going to conceal carry on a campus wearing an opponents colors. This has disaster written all over it. Yes college kids at Liberty drink just as much as the kids in Boone do. So in closing Liberty U went from being a fringe University to a ultra conservative collegiate cult today. This isn't a school for high learning its a tea party PAC.

Mr. Benson please do not add Liberty at any cost. Ill take a west coast team at this point. You don't want to have to be interviewed about the tailgating or post game shooting that is going to occur at some point.
I'm not going to jump into the gun argument, and frankly I'm not a big fan of concealed carry on campus either, but if you think Liberty students drink as much as students in Boone, then you are ready for the retirement patch. I'm not saying Liberty students don't drink, I know that a few, a very small few, do drink and that gives the overwhelming majority who don't a bad name.

Put it this way, in my time at Liberty (and I lived in Lynchburg a little over 3 years) I knew only two people who had EVER drank, one a guy from Wisconsin who came to Liberty by way of his parent's basically requiring it, and a girl from Delaware, a girl who would become my EX-wife a number of years later.

I myself never had a drink until I was long gone from ASU. I even know of a current LU student who will not take a restaurant job simply because he does not want to be associated with alcohol or risk the smell of alcohol possibly being on them when he gets back to campus.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 am

When visiting a friend of mine(liberty student) in Lynchburg circa 2004 the college party atmosphere in Lynchburg was just as prevalent as it is on any campus across America. Liberty is not going to be considered a party school but this rah rah we are all sober and all say nice things about our opponents couldn't be farther from the truth. They do drink and talk trash and have a bunch of bad eggs like every school. You met 2 people in three years that had ever tried alcohol? Yet I met approximately 20 in one night. Hmmmm that seems odd.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am

ASUPATCH wrote:
3rd wrote:Yea 1 kid at VT how many murders happen other places not at college? Yea i understand people are scared to others having guns but to be honest when i walk across Appalachian what is to stop someone coming on this campus? The 2 ASU rent a cops? oh yea gosh i feel better already :roll:

ASU has 20 highly trained NC police officers. Many of which have military backgrounds. I know many of them personally and two are IRAQI war vets. So for your information they are FAAAAAAAAR from rent a cops. They go through the same program Winston Salem Raleigh and Charlotte cops do to become officers.
:lol: There are some decent folks among them. But there are several with attitudes worse than their bench press.

If I have to poor out my beer at a baseball game one more time.... :evil:

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am

Gonzo wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote: I will just say that I disagree with your statement of "borderline diploma mill". I was at Liberty for two years (99-01), when Liberty was held in much less regard then than now, and in my 5 years (undergrad & graduate) at ASU (I lost one year because of the religious classes not being transferable) I only had one, ONE, class at Appalachian that was more difficult than ANY class I took at Liberty.
ANY academic prestige you might believe Liberty to have is completely undone by this:

http://www.liberty.edu/academics/arts-s ... /creation/

How anyone could flat out deny the overwhelming scientific consensus about the nature of life is mind numbing. But a whole institution built on these twisted, cultish views!? These people are absolutely insane.
So...just because you, as you say, have "overwhelming scientific consensus" means it's right? I don't know about you but I don't make up my mind to buy toothpaste when a commercial says, "9 out of 10 dentists" agree, even though that is pretty overwhelming evidence that dentists must favor that particular toothpaste. I buy toothpaste based on my on internal results, my own testing. To that end, I test all the brands and choose the one that seems best for me.

At Liberty they use the exact same Science (Biology, Chem, etc.) books that ASU does, they just delve a little deeper and at a sometimes different angle (you have to do that to sometimes cut through the mish-mash of the generally liberal faculty of the higher-education system, which IMO is home to the most force-feed belief system of any sector in society). Students then make up their own minds whether they buy creationism or "big-bang", it's completely their choice.

Lots of Liberty students believe in Darwin-based principles, and lots more fall somewhere in the gray area of the middle. Of course, a great many believe in creationism, and that is perfectly fine. I'm sure you will attest that believing in creationism is their right and doesn't make them any less right or wrong, after all isn't the "to each his own" philosophy part of the liberal course of action?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:Though I disliked the school before today's news this is insane. Why in the world would I come to a game with a soon to be 3 year old son and have to be worried that a pissed off drunk Liberty student might wanna take out frustration of our drubbing of them on me. I myself am not going to conceal carry on a campus wearing an opponents colors. This has disaster written all over it. Yes college kids at Liberty drink just as much as the kids in Boone do. So in closing Liberty U went from being a fringe University to a ultra conservative collegiate cult today. This isn't a school for high learning its a tea party PAC.

Mr. Benson please do not add Liberty at any cost. Ill take a west coast team at this point. You don't want to have to be interviewed about the tailgating or post game shooting that is going to occur at some point.
I'm not going to jump into the gun argument, and frankly I'm not a big fan of concealed carry on campus either, but if you think Liberty students drink as much as students in Boone, then you are ready for the retirement patch. I'm not saying Liberty students don't drink, I know that a few, a very small few, do drink and that gives the overwhelming majority who don't a bad name.

Put it this way, in my time at Liberty (and I lived in Lynchburg a little over 3 years) I knew only two people who had EVER drank, one a guy from Wisconsin who came to Liberty by way of his parent's basically requiring it, and a girl from Delaware, a girl who would become my EX-wife a number of years later.

I myself never had a drink until I was long gone from ASU. I even know of a current LU student who will not take a restaurant job simply because he does not want to be associated with alcohol or risk the smell of alcohol possibly being on them when he gets back to campus.
I will not dispute what you have said as that was your experience. I traveled to Lynchburg for 5 years on a weekly basis. I have lived an hour from there for 13 years. Our experiences are different. I have observed a MUCH larger few than you have. BUT that is not the whole point. I don't want to be around 5-6 thousand SOBER students with guns. It is just a VERY bad policy. SO you go on over there and enjoy. I have no problem with that. Glad you love your school, but as long as they have that policy I will not be visiting. I think the Sun Belt would be making a HUGE mistake.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am

ASUPATCH wrote:

They must have completed some upgrades since my time there. I had one beat on my door at Eggers on night demanding to see a girl that lived in the room. After notifying him that this was a guys' floor he said, "don't lie, she lives in Frank Hall at this room number!" After about 10 minutes he finally realized he was at the wrong dorm. :lol:
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 am

Lets attack liberty for their beliefs as we have people walking around that don't wear shoes and don't take showers...come on people every college has their ups and downs i like to think App is perfect too but it is not. If any on here think liberty will try and impose its beliefs on the App student body is completely wrong. BYU is a great example to bring up here they have their own rules that they have to follow and no one else in the conference has to, remember the year they were good in Bball and their 2ed best player got kicked off for having sex with his GF? They played by their rules and none of the other teams in the conference were affected

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

ASUPATCH wrote:When visiting a friend of mine(liberty student) in Lynchburg circa 2004 the college party atmosphere in Lynchburg was just as prevalent as it is on any campus across America. Liberty is not going to be considered a party school but this rah rah we are all sober and all say nice things about our opponents couldn't be farther from the truth. They do drink and talk trash and have a bunch of bad eggs like every school. You met 2 people in three years that had ever tried alcohol? Yet I met approximately 20 in one night. Hmmmm that seems odd.
Yes, met 2 drinkers in 3 years, but then again, I never heard of any "parties" either. If there were traditional college type parties they were certainly done on the down-low and if you were a "normal" Liberty student you would never hear of those. I know I never did and if I had heard of them I would have went to my RA, or higher, and informed them.

I don't care if they drank, but as a Liberty student you sign on to the Liberty code of conduct, and if I abide by the rules then so should everyone else. If they want to drink then by all means drink, but don't do it as a Liberty student...because what happens is 10 years later word spreads and isolated incidents become a reputation killer, just as ASU is regarded as a bunch of "pot-smoking tree-hugging hippies" nationally...even though I know that is certainly not the case institution wide. I hate it when ASU is pegged that way, and I defend it vehemently every time, just as I did this past weekend while in Charleston.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:36 am

HkyMtneer wrote: So...just because you, as you say, have "overwhelming scientific consensus" means it's right? I don't know about you but I don't make up my mind to buy toothpaste when a commercial says, "9 out of 10 dentists" agree, even though that is pretty overwhelming evidence that dentists must favor that particular toothpaste. I buy toothpaste based on my on internal results, my own testing. To that end, I test all the brands and choose the one that seems best for me.
So you don't believe in tooth paste either? :lol: I kid of course. I'm sorry to be so crass and blunt with you, but those that truly believe that the earth and all its creatures were created in seven days, that humans lived together with dinosaurs and that women were created using a man's spare ribs have been spiritually blackmailed to do so. There is no scientific evidence to support any of it, and frankly, any rational mind doesn't need a background in science to see a metaphoric parable for what it is, rather than a literal account of the origin of life.
HkyMtneer wrote:At Liberty they use the exact same Science (Biology, Chem, etc.) books that ASU does, they just delve a little deeper and at a sometimes different angle (you have to do that to sometimes cut through the mish-mash of the generally liberal faculty of the higher-education system, which IMO is home to the most force-feed belief system of any sector in society). Students then make up their own minds whether they buy creationism or "big-bang", it's completely their choice.

Nothing is more of a "force-fed belief system" than the Christian church. Every teacher has their biases and agendas, but being an 18-22 year-old pseudo-adult entails a good bit of idealistic independence. In contrast, an impressionable little 8-year-old being indoctrinated in a Sunday school class, being told he will burn in a fire for eternity if he doesn't bend to the will of this modern perversion, brazen enough to call itself a reflection of Jesus of Nazareth is being force-fed.

Chances are, if a kid is going to Liberty, they're AOK with learning about creationism. It's not "delving a little deeper" into the issue. It's denial of science.
HkyMtneer wrote:Lots of Liberty students believe in Darwin-based principles, and lots more fall somewhere in the gray area of the middle. Of course, a great many believe in creationism, and that is perfectly fine. I'm sure you will attest that believing in creationism is their right and doesn't make them any less right or wrong, after all isn't the "to each his own" philosophy part of the liberal course of action?
I absolutely support their right to believe what they believe. "doesn't make them any less right or wrong" Yes it does. They are wrong. People have the right to be wrong.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:42 am

Gonzo wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote: So...just because you, as you say, have "overwhelming scientific consensus" means it's right? I don't know about you but I don't make up my mind to buy toothpaste when a commercial says, "9 out of 10 dentists" agree, even though that is pretty overwhelming evidence that dentists must favor that particular toothpaste. I buy toothpaste based on my on internal results, my own testing. To that end, I test all the brands and choose the one that seems best for me.
So you don't believe in tooth paste either? :lol: I kid of course. I'm sorry to be so crass and blunt with you, but those that truly believe that the earth and all its creatures were created in seven days, that humans lived together with dinosaurs and that women were created using a man's spare ribs have been spiritually blackmailed to do so. There is no scientific evidence to support any of it, and frankly, any rational mind doesn't need a background in science to see a metaphoric parable for what it is, rather than a literal account of the origin of life.
HkyMtneer wrote:At Liberty they use the exact same Science (Biology, Chem, etc.) books that ASU does, they just delve a little deeper and at a sometimes different angle (you have to do that to sometimes cut through the mish-mash of the generally liberal faculty of the higher-education system, which IMO is home to the most force-feed belief system of any sector in society). Students then make up their own minds whether they buy creationism or "big-bang", it's completely their choice.

Nothing is more of a "force-fed belief system" than the Christian church. Every teacher has their biases and agendas, but being an 18-22 year-old pseudo-adult entails a good bit of idealistic independence. In contrast, an impressionable little 8-year-old being indoctrinated in a Sunday school class, being told he will burn in a fire for eternity if he doesn't bend to the will of this modern perversion, brazen enough to call itself a reflection of Jesus of Nazareth is being force-fed.

Chances are, if a kid is going to Liberty, they're AOK with learning about creationism. It's not "delving a little deeper" into the issue. It's denial of science.
HkyMtneer wrote:Lots of Liberty students believe in Darwin-based principles, and lots more fall somewhere in the gray area of the middle. Of course, a great many believe in creationism, and that is perfectly fine. I'm sure you will attest that believing in creationism is their right and doesn't make them any less right or wrong, after all isn't the "to each his own" philosophy part of the liberal course of action?
I absolutely support their right to believe what they believe. "doesn't make them any less right or wrong" Yes it does. They are wrong. People have the right to be wrong.
I'll agree with you on that one...people certainly have the right to be wrong.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Just to be clear. as I said yesterday, I really don't care about their religious beliefs. I am one who believes god put us here. Science has not shown me another way but that has NOTHING to do with my opinion of Liberty Sports. Sports are sports. My objection is the gun issue and what that has made me thing about their thought process. they can believe as they wish and I have no problem with it as it does not have anything to do with me. My issue is a safety issue. I think on that issue they have lost their minds. As you know I am not nuts about moving to the Sun Belt but I am accepting it. If they were to admit Liberty after this announcement I would have to wonder if we have made a huge mistake. I say that because it relates to their ability to think clearly. A decision to send member schools to a gun tooting campus would be a questionable decision at the least.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:59 pm

bcoach wrote:Just to be clear. as I said yesterday, I really don't care about their religious beliefs. I am one who believes god put us here. Science has not shown me another way but that has NOTHING to do with my opinion of Liberty Sports. Sports are sports. My objection is the gun issue and what that has made me thing about their thought process. they can believe as they wish and I have no problem with it as it does not have anything to do with me. My issue is a safety issue. I think on that issue they have lost their minds. As you know I am not nuts about moving to the Sun Belt but I am accepting it. If they were to admit Liberty after this announcement I would have to wonder if we have made a huge mistake. I say that because it relates to their ability to think clearly. A decision to send member schools to a gun tooting campus would be a questionable decision at the least.
We are already going to be going to Texas State and UT-Arlington so guns on campus is in our future regardless of Liberty's presence in the Sun Belt.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 pm

"It's not 'delving a little deeper' into the issue. It's denial of science."

...which seems to be very much en vogue these days with regard to a number of issues. Very depressing...
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
bcoach wrote:Just to be clear. as I said yesterday, I really don't care about their religious beliefs. I am one who believes god put us here. Science has not shown me another way but that has NOTHING to do with my opinion of Liberty Sports. Sports are sports. My objection is the gun issue and what that has made me thing about their thought process. they can believe as they wish and I have no problem with it as it does not have anything to do with me. My issue is a safety issue. I think on that issue they have lost their minds. As you know I am not nuts about moving to the Sun Belt but I am accepting it. If they were to admit Liberty after this announcement I would have to wonder if we have made a huge mistake. I say that because it relates to their ability to think clearly. A decision to send member schools to a gun tooting campus would be a questionable decision at the least.
We are already going to be going to Texas State and UT-Arlington so guns on campus is in our future regardless of Liberty's presence in the Sun Belt.
Well you may be going there but not me. See it's not a liberty thing it's a safety thing. Giving students the right to walk around campus with guns is just plain stupid in my humble opinion. They can do as they please but you just will not find me there. Bye the way I am not afraid of guns. I was an army Drill Sgt. What I am afraid of is the wrong people having them in the wrong place. I just see campus and bars as two of those places.
Last edited by bcoach on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 pm

bcoach wrote:Science has not shown me another way
You must not have been paying attention...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”