Sad state of affairs in Cullowhee

falcoapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sad state of affairs in Cullowhee

Unread post by falcoapp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Let's start a GoFundMe for them. Are they still on the Delphi boards?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:08 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 pm
App should help them out and schedule them :D
I could care less if we ever see them on the schedule again. During my 25 years following ASU somewhat closely, they've been a rival in name only. I think I recall them winning once (maybe twice)? No one on the team or really associated with the program knows them as a competitive rival anymore and the game wouldn't have much excitement. It would be similar to ETSU this year, where we tried to manufacture some drama. Except WCU, in their current form, would be an even worse game.
I was kidding if that wasn’t clear haha
I figured you were, but some folks actually want us to play them. Of course, some folks wish we were still FCS, so to each their own!
Give 'em hell!

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm

They basically had 3 “good” years during Bob Waters 20 year tenure. Without those good 3 years they would be about 45-50 percent winning record.
Nick Saban couldn’t win under their current situation but they somehow think Mark and his staff are the reason they don’t win and want them fired.
They recruit as best they can which is taking the last of the last in most cases but some of the delusional fans don’t get that.
If the players were as good as some of them think they would win some games despite bad coaching IMOP.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 pm

I am not a graduate of either APP or WCU but back 100 years ago in my day my school was in the same conference so I am aware of old days but I still don't understand the animosity so many APP fans have with Western?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 pm
I am not a graduate of either APP or WCU but back 100 years ago in my day my school was in the same conference so I am aware of old days but I still don't understand the animosity so many APP fans have with Western?
Years ago, we were very similar schools. Both in the mountains, both a bit difficult to get to, both smaller - often feeding on table scraps from the powers in Chapel Hill. App has had visionary leadership (especially when it comes to athletics) and has, in many regards, left them behind. We were rivals once, which is why most older App fans "hate" them. I could care less about them anymore, from a rivalry standpoint. If we are playing an in state FCS, I'd rather play other schools. Just bred-in hate, I suppose you could say.
Give 'em hell!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:56 pm

I'll vever forget my first trip to Cut-a-weed in either '80, or '81. The KFC on the way in had "Welcome Boone Goons" on their sign.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:40 pm
I don't like seeing them down. I don't like seeing them at all.

Seriously, what do I care if some girl I dated ten years ago gets knocked up?
Because she named the baby after YOU.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm
Gonzo wrote:

Better than naming it Cline.

But seriously, you lobbed a softball up. How was I not supposed to swing at it?
Give 'em hell!

app80

Unread post by app80 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Does not bother me one bit.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:29 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Years ago, we were very similar schools. Both in the mountains, both a bit difficult to get to, both smaller - often feeding on table scraps from the powers in Chapel Hill. App has had visionary leadership (especially when it comes to athletics) and has, in many regards, left them behind. We were rivals once, which is why most older App fans "hate" them. I could care less about them anymore, from a rivalry standpoint. If we are playing an in state FCS, I'd rather play other schools. Just bred-in hate, I suppose you could say.
Better than in-bred hate.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:31 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:29 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
I worded it that specific way for a reason :)
Give 'em hell!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm

My current issue with the Kullowhee Kitties is the trash talk we got from them, Wofford, and Vermin when we moved up.
"Have fun in FBS land Boone Goons! Enjoy those 2-10 seasons!" is one I clearly recall.
Now they probably have repressed those memorable statements. However, I'd like, each, make another trip to KBS so we cut their butts one more time. We get that chance with fElon in a couple of years.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:08 pm
1983 WCU finished runner-up in 1-AA.
They played the National Championship game in Charleston that year. I remember watching it on TV as a kid.

Frankly, I wish they would become the dominant team in the Southern Conference. They are no real threat to our recruiting or our program at this point, so I'd love to see them beating up on Furman and Wofford.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:33 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
You just had to have been there. I was in school at App in the late 70’s. Probably the height of our rivalry. Sports Illustrared once called it “The Best College Football Rivalry You’ve Never Heard Of.” Really, It was most heated in Basketball. They once beat us on a shot that was after the buzzer that everyone in the building clearly saw except the refs and the click operator. By the next home game, we installed the red lights in the backboard that light up at the buzzer.

Sll sorts of stuff like that went on. More recently just the bitter hatred and jealousy of their fans toward our program and their childish ways of expressing it is what sealed them forever in my mind as someone I will never spend a care on. I feel sorry for them, yes. But I will foever luxuriate in their misery.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Some of you guys weren't around back in the 60s but L-R was the football powerhouse and Guilford was in basketball back in the old Carolinas Conference days - How did you guys who were around feel about L-R?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm

I remember in the bathroom at Hollies there was a sign that read: "Flush, Lenior Rhyne needs the water"

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:50 pm

The entire school honestly just seems like a mess. It’s pretty there but there is absolutely nothing around the school. Recruiting can’t be easy

The thing is they still seem to have a decent backing from their alumni, makes no sense as to how VMI is winning games and western isn’t. Hell didn’t Jamey Chadwell want that job? What a mistake that was

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm
Gonzo wrote:

Better than naming it Cline.

But seriously, you lobbed a softball up. How was I not supposed to swing at it?
Didn’t bother me at all. You swung and missed.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:33 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
You just had to have been there. I was in school at App in the late 70’s. Probably the height of our rivalry. Sports Illustrared once called it “The Best College Football Rivalry You’ve Never Heard Of.” Really, It was most heated in Basketball. They once beat us on a shot that was after the buzzer that everyone in the building clearly saw except the refs and the click operator. By the next home game, we installed the red lights in the backboard that light up at the buzzer.

Sll sorts of stuff like that went on. More recently just the bitter hatred and jealousy of their fans toward our program and their childish ways of expressing it is what sealed them forever in my mind as someone I will never spend a care on. I feel sorry for them, yes. But I will foever luxuriate in their misery.
I was there , front row Varsity Gym .Guy named Greg Dennis made that shot , a full two ticks after the clock hit zero.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:31 pm
NO.2 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:29 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
I worded it that specific way for a reason :)
“Visionary leadership” (especially when it comes to athletics )“ is a relatively recent development. Getting us to this level is largely due to a small group of alumni pushing relentlessly despite entrenched opposition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”