Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Quick in STL paper

85gradinATL

Quick in STL paper

Unread post by 85gradinATL » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Another case of the man keeping an App grad down;

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... c2beb.html

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Re: Quick in STL paper

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Not sure he's too proud of being an App grad anyway. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't particularly care for the following quote out of that article:

Then he added with a shrug: “I wish I would’ve known more. But I can’t help where I came from. It’s about where I’m at right now.”

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:Not sure he's too proud of being an App grad anyway. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't particularly care for the following quote out of that article:

Then he added with a shrug: “I wish I would’ve known more. But I can’t help where I came from. It’s about where I’m at right now.”
I had the same thought. I hope he didn't mean for it to come out that way.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 pm

I took it as a shout to his lack of experience. Hope that's what he meant, anyway.
Give 'em hell!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 pm

I wouldn't read to much into it or at least not be offended by it. Remember that App's spread does not have a difficult route tree and most audibles come from the sidelines pre-snap so there isn't the need to learn how to read a defense. On top of that, Quick had 4 different WR coaches (Galloway, Carter, Taylor and Elder) during his ASU career with Galloway being his only coach with significant experience.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

moonshine wrote:I wouldn't read to much into it or at least not be offended by it. Remember that App's spread does not have a difficult route tree and most audibles come from the sidelines pre-snap so there isn't the need to learn how to read a defense. On top of that, Quick had 4 different WR coaches (Galloway, Carter, Taylor and Elder) during his ASU career with Galloway being his only coach with significant experience.
I would add only playing HS ball for really one season. Being an NFL-ready WR with 5 years of experience is a tall order (no PUN intended).
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:35 pm

I didn't read it as a slight on the school at all.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 pm

appst89 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:Not sure he's too proud of being an App grad anyway. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't particularly care for the following quote out of that article:

I had the same thought. I hope he didn't mean for it to come out that way.
This is the second time he has made a comment like this so you are probably reading it correctly. Recall when he was criticized at the combine for his route running skills he said " I was not coached for four years at Appalachian State". I hope he succeeds just because he is an App alumnus but he is not representing very well to say the least.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 am

I agree that Brian should choose his words carefully, but he's probably right about not having great coaching (other than Galloway) before now. I do believe Stepp is a major upgrade as WR coach.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Man - we sure do look for ways to dog our guys if they give any perceived slight to App, don't we?

Remember how pretty much everyone agreed Quick was being under-utilized at App? Are we mad at him if he feels the same way? I'm not.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 am

He is not complaining about being under utilized. He is saying no one coached him so he is behind in his abilities. Most people would just say "yea I have a lot to learn but I am working hard and I will get there". I think it is rather lame to put the blame on the university that gave him the stage to get where he is today. I am sure people on here are constantly trolling for interviews with former players now in the NFL. Have you ever seen any other comments like this? Armanti was asked many times point blank "do you wish you would have gone somewhere else?" A resounding NO! every time. Cadet was also very gracious recently about his time at ASU. Look what he had as a coach here.

One of my greatest memories is the Quick catch at the end of the Halloween Wofford game. So I am a fan and I am not bashing him. I just wish he would thicken up his skin and realize he is not supposed to know everything at this point and he could throw a bone to his alma mater instead of disparaging comments. "No one coached me", "Can't help where I came from" common man...

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:35 am

Sometimes the truth hurts. Quick excelled at our level mainly because of his physical gifts. But other than the improvisation that comes with a play breaking down, I've never associated our offense with requiring anyone other than the QB to read a defense and adjust. We were all pleasantly surprised to see him drafted as high as he was, but he was always labeled as being raw in the more refined areas of being a receiver. What is showing is that the Rams faith in his ability and willingness to learn is starting to pay off already.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 am

appbio91 wrote: I think it is rather lame to put the blame on the university that gave him the stage to get where he is today. I am sure people on here are constantly trolling for interviews with former players now in the NFL. Have you ever seen any other comments like this? Armanti was asked many times point blank "do you wish you would have gone somewhere else?" A resounding NO! every time. Cadet was also very gracious recently about his time at ASU. Look what he had as a coach here.

One of my greatest memories is the Quick catch at the end of the Halloween Wofford game. So I am a fan and I am not bashing him. I just wish he would thicken up his skin and realize he is not supposed to know everything at this point and he could throw a bone to his alma mater instead of disparaging comments. "No one coached me", "Can't help where I came from" common man...
Let's get 1 thing straight - Appalachian football doesn't = "The University". It is part of it, but to imply that Quick is trashing the University is wrong.

By my count - the guy had 4 WR coaches in 5 years - one of whom was a college QB, not a WR. If that hurt his ability to learn and grow as a WR (highly likely), I don't see anything wrong with him being honest about it. It's not a slap at the unversity - I'm guessing because he stayed 5 years, he probably had a great time at the school itself. Playing football is just part of that experience.

I think if you're honest with yourself - you'll admit there were things that happened to you at App that you weren't happy about, there were professors you didn't like, and things you learned in your chosen field that you didn't learn until after you graduated. Do you lack pride in your school because of those things? Does that mean you hated your experience here? It's clear to me that you didn't, or you wouldn't be as passionate about the school as you are. The difference is - you don't have people sticking a tape recorder in front of you to ask you about it.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

appgrad wrote:
appbio91 wrote: I think it is rather lame to put the blame on the university that gave him the stage to get where he is today. I am sure people on here are constantly trolling for interviews with former players now in the NFL. Have you ever seen any other comments like this? Armanti was asked many times point blank "do you wish you would have gone somewhere else?" A resounding NO! every time. Cadet was also very gracious recently about his time at ASU. Look what he had as a coach here.

Let's get 1 thing straight - Appalachian football doesn't = "The University". It is part of it, but to imply that Quick is trashing the University is wrong.

By my count - the guy had 4 WR coaches in 5 years - one of whom was a college QB, not a WR. If that hurt his ability to learn and grow as a WR (highly likely), I don't see anything wrong with him being honest about it. It's not a slap at the unversity - I'm guessing because he stayed 5 years, he probably had a great time at the school itself. Playing football is just part of that experience.

I think if you're honest with yourself - you'll admit there were things that happened to you at App that you weren't happy about, there were professors you didn't like, and things you learned in your chosen field that you didn't learn until after you graduated. Do you lack pride in your school because of those things? Does that mean you hated your experience here? It's clear to me that you didn't, or you wouldn't be as passionate about the school as you are. The difference is - you don't have people sticking a tape recorder in front of you to ask you about it.
He was subtly bashing The Committee. :roll: :roll: :lol:
BLACK SATURDAY

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:49 am

When Quick says I can't help where I came from do people think Jerry Moore's Football team or Appalachian State University?

I think we can all agree we have had coaching issues and it was stupid to have a former backup QB at such an important position coach. Finally yes I had a chemistry professor who was a bitty. But when asked if App has a good science department I don't say "I had a professor who was mean to me".

You make good points but I will keep my position that Quick needs to be more of a stand up ambassador for ASU.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”