Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

"Make a play, get paid"

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: "Make a play, get paid"

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:24 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:33 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:59 pm
I think it's dumb and has nothing to do with how NIL was supposed to function. Which of course you could say about most NIL efforts now.

What I WOULD like to see is bowl games offer financial incentives for players for participation. Seems like an obvious way to at least try and incentivize guys who plan to transfer or enter the draft to "opt in" instead of quitting before the season is over.
When that happens I am done.
Why would that be the thing to push you over the edge? That's worse than anything that's happening now?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:22 am

So potentially a football player could get:

Full ride scholarship
Cost of attendance stipend
School trust fund cash
NIL

Bowl game bonus?

How about if players get bowl game bucks we reduce the number of games to eliminate the 6-6 teams who go 2-4 the second half of the season and barely qualify.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:12 am

What if they make a rule that if the school slush funds+NIL > 500k, then a student loses the scholarship money and must pay like a regular student? Maybe other similar rules for various money thresholds.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:24 am

appdaze wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:12 am
What if they make a rule that if the school slush funds+NIL > 500k, then a student loses the scholarship money and must pay like a regular student? Maybe other similar rules for various money thresholds.

I think it's an easy fix. If you play a sport and get paid through the fund you are an employee. You figure out where to live. You get fed at the training table. You get the full use of the training staff. If you choose to attend college classes you apply for admission and pay your way. Those who don't go that route can play sports on a traditional scholarship. The first group gets paid the same scholarship equivalent and pays taxes.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:19 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:24 pm
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
I think it's dumb and has nothing to do with how NIL was supposed to function. Which of course you could say about most NIL efforts now.

What I WOULD like to see is bowl games offer financial incentives for players for participation. Seems like an obvious way to at least try and incentivize guys who plan to transfer or enter the draft to "opt in" instead of quitting before the season is over.
Why would that be the thing to push you over the edge? That's worse than anything that's happening now?
Yes it is. Not a LOT worse but yes. Paying some dufus to play in one more game would be the very end.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:48 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:19 am
EastHallApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Yes it is. Not a LOT worse but yes. Paying some dufus to play in one more game would be the very end.
The whole premise behind NIL was to set up players with businesses to promote using their name, image and likeness. If Drake Maye reached out to Dukes Mayo for an NIL/marketing deal where the contract included him playing in the bowl game, then that seems much better than a player just getting money from a collective.

To EastHall’s point, that could be a lucrative deal for both the business and a potential top NFL pick like Maye to negotiate. It feels like a win-win for CFB and the player.
Last edited by ASUFan4863 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:49 pm

bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

To each his own. I don't like a lot of what's going on with NIL. But I'd rather pay everyone to play in a bowl game than pay them to play for one particular school over another. And I'd also rather ESPN (who, as we know, owns many of the smaller bowls) finally send some of that money to the players rather than NIL collectives coming to fans hat in hand while the players get none of the TV money.

The bowls already give the players a mini shopping spree anyway; doesn't seem that different to me.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:32 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:49 pm
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

To each his own. I don't like a lot of what's going on with NIL. But I'd rather pay everyone to play in a bowl game than pay them to play for one particular school over another. And I'd also rather ESPN (who, as we know, owns many of the smaller bowls) finally send some of that money to the players rather than NIL collectives coming to fans hat in hand while the players get none of the TV money.

The bowls already give the players a mini shopping spree anyway; doesn't seem that different to me.
Ok if someone else is paying. Not one cent of my dough is going to pay a player/employee. Someone else can pony up stupid money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”