G5 Poll

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: G5 Poll

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:09 am
I would give Chase a slight nod over Joey but would happily amend that after the season. Both have exceptional arm talent, but Chase is/was a bit more polished the Joey. That’s understandable as Chase had more reps at the FBS level.

An unpopular opinion I know, but I can’t put AE in this conversation as he played in a different era against a different level of competition.
Agree on Chase about the arm only because Joey is more mobile and I do think he fits what we like to run better and so I would rate him higher overall.

I know it is a different era but he did it against Michigan, which to me shows he would have been a superstar in the current Sun Belt. One thing you have to remember about this era is that FBS is much more watered down than it was in the 90s and 2000s. Isn't Southern Miss the only current Sun Belt team who was not in I-AA/FCS before? Louisiana or anyone else?
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:36 pm
This was promised as “ The Year”. Of course a lot has changed , and is changing, constantly.
So is it no longer "the year"?

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue May 14, 2024 11:46 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am
AppSt94 wrote:
I would give Chase a slight nod over Joey but would happily amend that after the season. Both have exceptional arm talent, but Chase is/was a bit more polished the Joey. That’s understandable as Chase had more reps at the FBS level.

An unpopular opinion I know, but I can’t put AE in this conversation as he played in a different era against a different level of competition.
Agree on Chase about the arm only because Joey is more mobile and I do think he fits what we like to run better and so I would rate him higher overall.

I know it is a different era but he did it against Michigan, which to me shows he would have been a superstar in the current Sun Belt. One thing you have to remember about this era is that FBS is much more watered down than it was in the 90s and 2000s. Isn't Southern Miss the only current Sun Belt team who was not in I-AA/FCS before?
Louisiana has been FBS/1-A since 1971. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana ... s_football

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:55 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I know it is a different era but he did it against Michigan, which to me shows he would have been a superstar in the current Sun Belt. One thing you have to remember about this era is that FBS is much more watered down than it was in the 90s and 2000s. Isn't Southern Miss the only current Sun Belt team who was not in I-AA/FCS before?
The OP’s question was about passing and not running. My opinion was based on passing ability.

I’m not taking a dig on Armanti because we all agree that he was pretty special and I know people get upset when they think that someone is disparaging the GOAT. Armanti was the best athlete on the field full of athletes that was more often than not slanted in App’s favor. Using the Michigan game as a one game sample seems a bit small to draw the conclusion that he would have been great in the SBC. The SBC today, however it may be watered down, is still better than the SoCon of the the 90’s and 2000’s.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm

appst89 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:42 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 am
It’s May and our expectation is to win the conference.

- Shawn Clark

I’ll post again in June for those in the back.
Expectations are not allowed.
HA! I will not bow down to those that believe they can control me in mind nor spirit. Don’t tread on me!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 am
CB ran like molasses.
I'll add up Howard's Knob on a Boone January night.

But CB get's my vote as the passer with the best accuracy we've ever had.

Since all Todd Peyton had to do was hand the ball off to #23, truly unfair we can't consider him :roll:
BLACK SATURDAY

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:55 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The OP’s question was about passing and not running. My opinion was based on passing ability.

I’m not taking a dig on Armanti because we all agree that he was pretty special and I know people get upset when they think that someone is disparaging the GOAT. Armanti was the best athlete on the field full of athletes that was more often than not slanted in App’s favor. Using the Michigan game as a one game sample seems a bit small to draw the conclusion that he would have been great in the SBC. The SBC today, however it may be watered down, is still better than the SoCon of the the 90’s and 2000’s.
Armanti definitely threw some suspect balls, difference was, you couldn't count out that he might run down the field and make the reception as well as a couple key blocks on the way. His athleticism was at another level. I think he would have succeeded in the Belt but agree about the pure passing ability. That had to go to Chase.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:24 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 am
CB ran like molasses.
I'll add up Howard's Knob on a Boone January night.

But CB get's my vote as the passer with the best accuracy we've ever had.

Since all Todd Peyton had to do was hand the ball off to #23, truly unfair we can't consider him :roll:
Todd Peyton was/is in a class all by himself.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:46 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Louisiana has been FBS/1-A since 1971. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana ... s_football
I was not sure on them. So just 2. We can't really say this new era is that much tougher. I do think we have better teams overall, mainly better depth and size, but we have not really seen an increase in NFL Draft picks since moving up.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue May 14, 2024 1:07 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm
AppWyo wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I was not sure on them. So just 2. We can't really say this new era is that much tougher. I do think we have better teams overall, mainly better depth and size, but we have not really seen an increase in NFL Draft picks since moving up.
The well was running dry this draft season.

Consider the number of players on APPs roster that beat Michigan and also spent time in NFL camps and on NFL rosters? Greatest financial disparity upset of all time..... maybe not roster talent. Still the Greatest Upset anyway.
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue May 14, 2024 6:21 pm

We need to have a QB that can win with his arm and his feet . It appears that we do.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:12 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:07 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm
AppWyo wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The well was running dry this draft season.

Consider the number of players on APPs roster that beat Michigan and also spent time in NFL camps and on NFL rosters? Greatest financial disparity upset of all time..... maybe not roster talent. Still the Greatest Upset anyway.
Definitely a big talent disparity. We had a lot of players get drafted or get a chance in NFL training camps compared to many FBS, and about every FCS, team at the time. We had a few backups on that team who developed into draft picks down the line. Michigan definitely had more talent than we did. I would argue that Michigan that year ended up being better than anyone we played last year.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed May 15, 2024 5:26 am

Anyone know the number of players that got a shot in the NFL from the Michigan win roster, interested to see how it compares to our modern rosters?
BLACK SATURDAY

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:44 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 1:58 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 am

I don’t think coaches look at that way. They want players that want to play. They aren’t interested in guys looking for cash. Here is an article on Brian Kelly’s approach on transfers.

https://blondiewithlove.it/2024/05/08/b ... u40uI.html

“We were in the recruiting market in the transfer portal, looking for defensive linemen. Honestly, it didn’t go very well. Because we sell something a little differently: we want to recruit, we want to engage, build relationships, develop, retain and succeed. We are not in the market for buying players. And unfortunately, right now, that’s what some guys are looking for. They want to be bought,” Kelly said.
So Brian Kelly hasn’t paid players prior to NIL? Come on now…
Do you know that he has or are just too cynical to think otherwise? If he has, prove it.
I don’t know about Brian Kelly but I know a former coach who told me when he was in the SEC in the 90s who said they had meetings where they agreed what cheating they would look the other way for and what stuff they would turn others in for. He told me he was 100% serious so I tend to believe all of them but Vanderbilt were doing it well before NIL. I do know for a fact of a few certain players from NC or SC that received cars, cash, jobs for their parents, etc just to sign with SC, UNC, Clemson, Georgia, etc. I didn’t take pictures so I can’t show you the proof but I can tell you I saw it with my own eyes and players would even admit to it.
You and anyone else are free to accept what ever you want to. Heresay isn’t proof and we still live in a country where we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.
Deny, deny, deny. Today’s America.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I know it is a different era but he did it against Michigan, which to me shows he would have been a superstar in the current Sun Belt. One thing you have to remember about this era is that FBS is much more watered down than it was in the 90s and 2000s. Isn't Southern Miss the only current Sun Belt team who was not in I-AA/FCS before? Louisiana or anyone else?
At the risk of letting this become an App QB debate the point made about the overall level of FBS is a great point. In 2005-2007 for example how many FBS level teams were there? You have to think that the top 15ish FCS teams were way better than the top 15 now. I contend that if our team who beat Michigan had 20 more dudes on the roster it was easily a mid level FBS type team. If I recall we typically used starters on special teams. Wasn't Quick on kickoff teams? Remains to be seen just how good Joey really is but I'm excited to see.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun May 19, 2024 10:53 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

At the risk of letting this become an App QB debate the point made about the overall level of FBS is a great point. In 2005-2007 for example how many FBS level teams were there? You have to think that the top 15ish FCS teams were way better than the top 15 now. I contend that if our team who beat Michigan had 20 more dudes on the roster it was easily a mid level FBS type team. If I recall we typically used starters on special teams. Wasn't Quick on kickoff teams? Remains to be seen just how good Joey really is but I'm excited to see.
One thing about the Michigan win is the fact that Michigan had never faced the Spread Option before and then face Oregon the next weekend to get another dose of the Spread Option. By the time they faced Florida in their bowl game they had defeated the defending National Champions and the spread option of Urban Myers as run by Tim Tebow. Michigan losing to Appalachian gave the impression that they were not good that year and that is just not the case at all. Their bowl game proved that.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Carr and company had a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun May 19, 2024 2:21 pm

Give me Ritchie Williams over anyone other that AE.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun May 19, 2024 4:08 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:21 pm
Give me Ritchie Williams over anyone other that AE.
I agree with you there. Burchette had the stronger arm but Richie had the IT factor and took care of himself better. We have had a lot of good QBs but as of now I would take Armanti and then Richie. I am curious to see what Aguilar can do this year and see if he can put himself in that group.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon May 20, 2024 7:26 pm

How about a G5 Post Spring Practice Poll? :roll:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 51353&ei=9
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”