Strength and Conditioning

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Strength and Conditioning

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:57 pm

So...after watching our team cramp up and ultimately lose to ECU in a very winable game. I am watching the Florida game and the announceres are talking about how great of shape the UF team is in this year... they are stronger, faster and in much better condition. Then they actually give a shout out to the UF strength and conditioning coach....our very own Dillman. We certainly missed him today. He is still working his magic, just on a bigger stage.

appst89
Site Admin

Re: Strength and Conditioning

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 pm

He was missed in a big way today.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:23 pm

I heard a few times from Jerry that being much cooler in Boone than normal this year had him worried about conditioning.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:29 pm

biggie wrote:I heard a few times from Jerry that being much cooler in Boone than normal this year had him worried about conditioning.
Was going to say - don't now what we could've done to simulate the heat and humidity. I saw a few ECU players go down too.

Can't really compare to it to the weather in Ann Arbor 5 years ago...or even a Thursday night game vs. Wake in '00, when everyone praised our conditioning.

It's probably going to give us trouble in Statesboro too.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:46 pm

It reminded me a lot of the Wofford game. It was in the 60's and 70's here that week while it was in the 90's there and we were gone in the second half. I know they were running gassers and pushing hard during camp but it still doesn't prepare you completely if you can't practice in similar conditions. I don't think the plan was that bad I just think the weather here and there couldn't be helped.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Heck, back thirty years ago I thought some team out west discovered drinking something weird prevented cramps pretty much. Cannot remember what it was. Apple juice or carrot juice or something like that. I know this sounds like BS, but think it was said that they had gone for years without any cramps.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:53 pm

biggie wrote:I heard a few times from Jerry that being much cooler in Boone than normal this year had him worried about conditioning.
just as it was mentioned about another - no way to match the weather conditions today with what the weather was like in Boone this summer - Glad Dillman got some props !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am

The police reported over 300 people receiving medical attention for heat related issues. ECU had a few guys getting hit with cramps as well, and they were able to play more guys than us. It wa just one of those days...
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 am

I agree with JT that it was just one of those days. ASU has been very fortunate with excellent strength and conditioning coaches and I believe we continue to be in good shape with Young. My son was at the game and he said it was the hottest he had ever been at a game - even summer baseball games he had played.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:28 am

Let's do our conditioning in the indoor facility and crank up the heat.

Kiss My Apps

Unread post by Kiss My Apps » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 am

I, for one, am concerned about our S&C situation. We have gone from Dillman and Kent, two well respected professionals in the industry, to a replacement whose background doesn't seem to qualify him as a head S&C position in a top tier FCS program.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but we have gone from two coaches with 30+ years combined in the industry to Young, who has two years as an assistant in App's program and 18 months as a high school trainer.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 am

There's no way strength and conditioning in Boone can prepare a body for what we saw at ECU yesterday. It was nearly 100 in the stands. Imagine what it was on the field and then throw on full pads. I was pleased to see as little cramping as I did from our players. Fans around us weren't leaving because of the score; they were leaving because of the heat. The two couples in front of us were ECU alums and Greenville residents and left after the first quarter because of the heat.
Last edited by DaphneUrquhart on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am

Kiss My Apps wrote:I, for one, am concerned about our S&C situation. We have gone from Dillman and Kent, two well respected professionals in the industry, to a replacement whose background doesn't seem to qualify him as a head S&C position in a top tier FCS program.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but we have gone from two coaches with 30+ years combined in the industry to Young, who has two years as an assistant in App's program and 18 months as a high school trainer.
too early to pass judgment --- miserable conditions yesterday - let's see what develops - hard to replace the talent we lost in S&C as well as in the coaching staff several years ago ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App74

Unread post by App74 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:43 pm

"The police reported over 300 people receiving medical attention for heat related issues."

I thought I could handle it but yesterday just about did me in. Had to leave with about 4:30 left, couldn't hack it. Still not 100% today. Can't imagine what it was like for the players.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm not about to throw our new strength and conditioning coach under the bus after one game, especially after said game was played in possibly the most extreme conditions in our program's history. On-field temps of 110 degrees don't come along every day.

However, I will offer this perspective ... with the benefit of hindsight.

At halftime, we opted to stay in the dressing room for as long as possible, and, after returning to the field, we performed minimal warmups. At first blush that strategy seemed logical. Boy was it hot and it seemed uncessary to expend any more energy than was necessary. But about 30 seconds into the third quarter, we collectively began to cramp. I'm no athletic trainer but those cramps appeared to be fueled by that cool-down period at halftime.

And speaking of the heat, Terry Holland, the ECU athletics department and Fox Sports should be embarrassed by their decision to schedule that game at noon on Labor Day weekend. Medical personnel reported that they treated approximately 300 fans with heat-related problems. Does someone have to die before they realize that it's almost always unbearably hot in Greenville, NC, at noon on Labor Day weekend?

We fans play a role in this. As long as we continue to buy tickets to games played during the heat of the day, then we're aiding and abetting. The next time we play in Greenville, I don't plan to purchase tickets until after the gametime is posted. And if it's another noon kickoff, I simply won't attend.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm sure hoping the heat in Boone is going to be a factor against Montana this week! :lol:
BLACK SATURDAY

RockCampAPP

Unread post by RockCampAPP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I let the players down. My physical conditioning was not up to what an APP fan's conditioning should have been. I left early. I have never left a game early before (ever). Snow, rain, the heat at LSU, the Hurricane. I laughed and made fun of fans leaving early. Not this time. If I would have stayed I would have been heat victim 300 plus, plus, plus... I apologize for letting the team down. I had total knee replacement exactly one month ago, have been sitting in the air conditioning for the past month.
The climb to the top of the stands in search of a breeze finished what little I had left. My hats off to all fans that survived that heat. My greatest respect for our team who managed to play a heck of a game while I just tried to sit and survive. If you weren't there please do not post any negatives about the team and conditioning, you do not understand. If you were and made it to the end of the game you earned the right to be critical if you desire. My bet is you will instead tip your hat to the kids for playing a terrific game.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:31 pm

The next time we play in Greenville, I don't plan to purchase tickets until after the game time is posted. And if it's another noon kickoff, I won't attend.

Bingo. We spoke to a few of the ECU staffers while complaining about the ridiculous start time...they all said the game was going to be at night but "TV" made them play it at noon. I saw no one that looked like they were having a good time, EVERYBODY was uncomfortable...I am still recovering this afternoon and I drank tons of water, probably $25.00 worth from concessions alone. The funny thing is after the game it seemed like the field level was noticeably cooler...

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm

RockCampAPP wrote:I let the players down. My physical conditioning was not up to what an APP fan's conditioning should have been. I left early. I have never left a game early before (ever). Snow, rain, the heat at LSU, the Hurricane. I laughed and made fun of fans leaving early. Not this time. If I would have stayed I would have been heat victim 300 plus, plus, plus... I apologize for letting the team down. I had total knee replacement exactly one month ago, have been sitting in the air conditioning for the past month.
The climb to the top of the stands in search of a breeze finished what little I had left. My hats off to all fans that survived that heat. My greatest respect for our team who managed to play a heck of a game while I just tried to sit and survive. If you weren't there please do not post any negatives about the team and conditioning, you do not understand. If you were and made it to the end of the game you earned the right to be critical if you desire. My bet is you will instead tip your hat to the kids for playing a terrific game.
You really wussed out man, shame on you! :shock: .....jk!

On the other hand, I can't remember APP losing a conditioning battle, ever, like you said no matter where we've played.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”